11 coaches online • Server time: 07:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jannie

Post 3 Posted: Jun 09, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Today, Tza retired his team from the Golden Island, leaving a spot for ANOTHER new player (4th now or so). When I look at the teams in the league, then I can see a few very strong teams, and then the totally new ones, ready to be crushed.

That's not my view of an exiting league. It's just a matter of time before the "titans" wipe out the smaller kingdoms and clashes together in an eternal battle.
I would like to end it now, unless people are very willing to continue...

I have learned a lot from this league (my first), both about how to run it, and how to make it better.

My proposal is:
Let's end this season and start to evaluate it. What could be better, what could be worse? I'm starting an evaluation thread, and the link will be published on the Golden Island Site.

I would like to hear you all.
Jannie

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2005 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Possible problems in Season 1:

Conceeding in a 1 vs 1 matchup:
Both Topper28 and Ultrabad couldn't get back after they conceeded a game. Should it be forbidden to conceede, to avoid that the opponent gets too powerful?

Peoples loyality:
It was a problem that some people wasn't active enough, and retired when things got too bad for them. How do we improve the team play?

Rules:
Was the rules too complicated to understand? There was some minor rule-flaws which gave some the better opportunity. Should we simplify something?

Flow:
Some complained about the flow of the league. Is there a way to improve the flow without just asking for more active players?
Panthos

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2005 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously I missed the majority of the season, and am one of the ones just waiting to be crushed by the "titans" the concept is a great one from what I saw, even managed to hold off 1 attacker with my underpowered team. My only suggestion from the things I saw would be that if someone leaves the league recruit a team at the average TR/TS if possible as opposed to a new underpowered team. And no concessions is probably a good rule, why concede if you are going to retire the team anyway, go out and take some of the enemy with you.
Quaruk

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2005 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there should be a game limit for each player to play that way we can prevent that some of the players get WAY ahead of the others .. although some will get ahead thats not something we can do so much about
Istarios

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2005 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been complaining throughout the season about the flow of the war. As a Lord, I soon found that I didn't have opprtunity to play nearly as many games as the Knights, since they get games both on offence and defence. I think making the battleplans public were a great help, but I'm not really sure since we didn't have enough time for testing. Still it seems logigal when there are 12 attackers to 9 defenders that: a) not everyone will get the same amount of games or b) queues will start forming pretty fast. As it where both scenarios quikly became reality.
To solve this we should consider introducing "The Lords Challenge". The Idea is to allow any Lord to challenge another Lord to a gentlemans match. Both Lords would then stake one of his Knights' territories (each Lord choose which territory he will stake) and the winner donates his newly won territory to one of his Knights. In case of a draw it was a "Jolly good match old boy, we'll have a rematch one of these days, but now it's time for tea" i.e. no nothing is won and nothing is lost. Combine "The Lords Challenge" with Quaruks idea of putting a limit on the amounts of games each player can play each week, and I think a lot of the flow problems would be solved. A better flow should also prevent the forming of "Titan" teams.

I told a friend of mine about The Golden Island concept and the flow problems we were having, and he suggested another alternative. The idea is that the Lords hide in their castles and don't fight as much as their Knights (afterall what's the point of being the Lord, if you have to get your hands dirty?). Instead they do what Lords do best. They collect taxes and spoils of war. For example: whenever a Knight attacks a territory he most pay 20.000 gold pieces from his own treasury to his Lord. Afterall it's the Lord who owns all the armourmakers, coaches etc. and is kind enough to lend the services of these people to his Knight for this modest amount of gold. That's the tax part, and now comes the good part. Spoils of war. Whenever a Knight conquers a new territory he brings home spoils of war to his Lord. The spoils could be one of two things: gold or star player points. How much or how many, would have to be dertimined after thourough playtesting but for starters let's say that a Lord can choose to gain 20.000 gold pieces OR 5 spp's (a bonus MVP).
Using this idea would mean that the Lords would soon have teams with lots of relatively unskilled good positionals, while the Knights would have well developed teams spp wise, but with a lot of injuries and missing players as they can't afford to replace them. It would give the tornament a completely different flow, but one that I think would be fun.
I have no idea what so ever if the above idea is even duable within the limits of Fumbbl tournament settings, and maybe it's better suited for a tabletop league anyway.

If anyone has anything to add to either idea I'd love to hear it, as I'm considering trying the second version in real life and any input would be appreciated.

/istarios
Mr_QB

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2005 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Istarios wrote:

I have no idea what so ever if the above idea is even duable within the limits of Fumbbl tournament settings, and maybe it's better suited for a tabletop league anyway.

If anyone has anything to add to either idea I'd love to hear it, as I'm considering trying the second version in real life and any input would be appreciated.

/istarios

it wouldn't be possible within the limits of fumbbl