22 coaches online • Server time: 04:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jared

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=23702

My abysmal luck strikes again, Am i on the right track though with the eam roster,
any thing i should be looking to gain, whats my next moves with the team in terms of cash use and skill picks
tarzom

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd give your GRs block to help protect them first, and then maybe catch.

With more money - another linerat, maybe a rat ogre - though these can be messy when surrounded. Or save for a reroll.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i would start with getting the gutters block asap as they are fragile little things and are quite quick enough at the minute without sure feet etc. on table top i had some success with making one scoring machine and the others into protectors for your scoring machine so gave them diving tackle, tackle etc. you could even try your hand at giving one of them dauntless but i have never tried that so i dont know if it is wise.

i would try to make your s vermin into ball retrievers but i wouldnt bother with a rat ogre at the minute as he could cause lots ofturnovers!

you seem to be having trouble scoring as ideally with 3 gutters you should be racking them up. i dont know how you could score more as i havent seen you play but i guess somebody else could shed some light on it!!!

another thing (more risky) is that you can try to run linos forward and get them into scoring positions to build up spp's and the all important block skill.

dont concentrate on beating the other team into a pulp (maybe flings!) but concentrate on scoring a td and on defence try to keep losses to a minimum and make as little blocks as possible coz if you roll skulls, AV 7 isnt very good...

i hope i havent been too bossy and i hope i have talked sense!!!
Jared

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

fine fine fine, the problems with scoring have been due to

a match where noone on my side could pick the ball up or after picking it up fumbled the throw

A match where 2up dodges failed and on the reroll for falling grunner laughs,

The nothing goes my way double skull double skull incident,

The Pushits never work time,
and some norse hammering me like noones buisness i recently had a grunner fatality which didnt help, and he had catch,

Not sure what to do about the agi4 svermin, i took the increase cause how often does something like that ocme up.

XXXtreme ball with added XX
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

well with ag 4 he is almost a high elf blitzer so he should be easy to score with if you need to

norse are such a sweet team as well! in my tabletop league my rookie mino caused 31 casualties in 8 games!!! i will miss him bad when he is gone!

Ps: never ever ever play dwarfs, orcs norse with your skaven coz you will get kicked around a lot! humans and elves are probably your best bet to play against!!! Smile
sceadeau

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Jared wrote:
fine fine fine, the problems with scoring have been due to

a match where noone on my side could pick the ball up or after picking it up fumbled the throw

A match where 2up dodges failed and on the reroll for falling grunner laughs,

The nothing goes my way double skull double skull incident,

The Pushits never work time,
and some norse hammering me like noones buisness i recently had a grunner fatality which didnt help, and he had catch,

Not sure what to do about the agi4 svermin, i took the increase cause how often does something like that ocme up.

I took some time to watch your replays. Your losses aren't due to your abysmal dice rolling, but instead due to your abysmal play. You take unneeded risks, you run you guys with the ball basically out into the open on your opponents side of the field hoping sheer luck will keep you from falling down when they blitz you.... You run your guys along tackle zones where you would've been fine just dodging out of the TZs to start and then come back in.

You play a very risky style of play...as such, you run out of rerolls faster than a more conservative player would, and therefore feel it's your dice later on in the game that are causing you to lose.

I'll repeat this as it bears repeating...it's not your dice, but your playstyle.

The only way to combat this would be to both change your playstyle so you don't leave your guys with the ball out where they can hit them without too much planning, try to take less risks, and buy 8 rerolls as fast as you can...as you will need it playing like that.
Jared

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

ive been risking the skaven cause other teams dont seem to survive conservative tactics, when other teams do everything safe and sensible and get creamed i think in the end what the hell and go for the insane because at least then i get hung for a sheep rather than a lamb

XXXtreme ball with added XX
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually the team looks pretty good to me. I think the AG 4 SV is a godsend as well.

As far as purchases, I'd lean towards 2nd thrower, 3rd RR, 4th GR, 4th RR... with any replacements thrown in as appropriate.

In terms of progression, get them GRs some block and don't try to make a 1 turner. They are discovered, not made. Try making your GRs all around good players with block, sidestep, catch, passblock, shadowing, dauntless on doubles, etc... then if one gets a +MA you can go crazy if you like.

Try to get some SPPs on the line rats (the part I always have trouble with). Grab kick with your first linerat that skills up, as it's immensely useful for skaven and the likes.

And regarding Brownrob_ni's suggestion of picking matches, I can admit to a certain wisdom in avoiding coaches who are just CAS-hunting, but some of your best games can come against a nice slow dwarf team sometimes. Don't be afraid to take them on, particularly if you know the coach is a good guy or his team is built to play ball rather than for WFB.
Smile

{edit: Just read the previous 2 replies that snuck in while I was writing mine. I haven't watched the replays, but there is still room for big plays AND playing it safe. Watch some replays of other skaven teams that are doing well, particularly at lower TRs. Try to pick up on what they do to minimize their die rolling and you can get a sense of when is a good time to make your fast break from your 'safe' style. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %04, %2003 - %16:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2003 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe i was speaking from experience. my woodvale scorers got punished for playing a dwarf team by suffering 8 casualties 9admittely i was very lucky as 7 were BH but it could have been so much worse!!! i now look at dwarven foes with much suspicion!!! Smile
 Jump to: