56 coaches online • Server time: 23:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Psilocybe

Post 12 Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello out there, i have just got some basic questions to ask about a team of ogres.

1: I have now played 2 games ( + 1 that i cant upload due to the team i played there was over 30 st lvl´s more than me. lost 3-0 ) and now i have bought a wizard, apothecary, 9 ff´s, 1 rr, 5 ogres and 6 goblins.
my question is this: how do i make the team better with skills and things like that ??? ( Not included rr´s and ff´s. )

2: what good does a wizard do to your team ??? ( he has´nt done anything at all yet.)

3: What could you advise me to do with my team to start winning when i play more experinced players ??? ( Dont tell me to get more experience or buy the strategy books Wink )

That´s all i have for this round...
so for now, take care and keep those hard hits coming.
( And thx for any help i can get. )

http://snigernissen.mybrute.com
heinz

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to fumbbl, Psilocybe!

First advise: Download LRB (Living Rule Book) asap (www.bloodbowl.com). Then read about wizards, then read the whole book. Then read it again. Then read the difference from board game file in the client - this should answer your wizard question.

Besides the written rules, there's a few unwritten guidelines: Wizards are mainly used in tournaments (as you hire them for 1 game only), so next time save your money for additional Ogres.

Team strategy for Ogres: Tricky team for beginners. Protect your gobos, bash away and hope to outnumber your opponent. A fair distribution of break tackle and guard on normal rolls for ogres. Block on doubles of course. At least one gobo with catch (for the hand off - dont throw the ball with the little ones) - else go sidestep, diving tackle. Block again on doubles.

Playing experienced coaches: You might want to practice a little in unranked before throwing yourself at the wolfs in ranked. Watch replays or spectate good games.

Good luck on fumbbl, and feel free to join #fumbbl_academy if you need advice on something in particular or to get a learnin game in.

/heinz

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the site´s and advices in your post... much apriciated i must say Smile

And for the strategy, i´ll work on that asap.

best regards and hope for good games to come.

Arcon

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember that both gobbos and Ogres have no access to general skills. So give Ogres Block on a double, you can give that to a gobbo as well, but consider Dirty player or kick or other as well.

Important, as I see it, are rerolls. Do not use them if you fail a Bone HEad roll for a normal move or Block action. Spare the rerolls (you´ll always have too few) for crucial moves. In my team, it is a rule, that the Ogre that shall blitz the Ballcarrier or can run for a TD fails the bonehead roll. That is what you have the rerolls for.

And sometimes no action for an Ogre is better than a block for example, cause there is always the chance to go bonehead. And then the ogre has no tackle zone any more.

I can consider myself happy that 3 Ogres gained +AG so far (not at all lucky at the ageing rolls though), so I do not use my gobbos as ball carriers any more. Only exceptions are, if I need higher mobility (take break tackle on Ogres for that) or attempt a Throw Team Mate TD. Last thing is important, though you need loads of luck, but in a few cases it works.

Also remember that the piling on skill needs to be activated.

If you want to risk a bit of cherry picking, I would not go for dwarves, and not necessarily for elves. The latter will dodge around you and dwarves all have block, so your opponent will throw 2 d blocks in your favor, but will only go down at a skull, while he has 50% chance per die to knock you down. Wink

Apart from that, Ogres is a fun team, and games are usually fun, if you do not mind too much loosing the game or do not get upset about the bonehead rolls (you can succeed every roll in several turns, but in next, you fail every single one...). It can also help to know how other races play BB. In knowing their general tactics you can better guess what moves are more important and for which move you should use your reroll. So, do not hesitate to try other races as well.
heinz

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Almost forgot: Though block is obvious choise on doubles - sure hands can be really helpfull as well on both an ogre and gobos. I'd still take block on first double for an ogre I think. Ag2 surehands=75% pickup chance in normal weather.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't use Throw team mate a lot, but it's funny so you might give it a try.

For skills: on double take block for your ogres. On simple take some guarder but not a lot I don't think it's that usefull. Main idea is to be able to help out the gobbo in a cage. Take some break tackle (2+ dodges. cool no?)

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

And get yourself another, more standard, team, so you can practise strategy and game play (my tip would be Unranked Humans). There's nothing wrong with playing Ogres, as I see it, but they are rather hard as a team because you are at the mercy of BONEHEAD and thick fingers. Wink

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Psilocybe

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

wow i never thought i would have this much response on questions like that, but it just shows that all you BB playing freaks ( including myself Razz ) are really out there for the fun, not just for trashing noobs like myself Smile

I thank you all for your help, it has given me alot to think about ( specialy on what to do and not to do with my team )

i cant tell ya how happy it makes me to see that people out there are so helpfull and caregiving about other players.
I thank you all a 1000 times and much more Smile

from the bottom of my ogre pit i shall cry out 100 warcry´s for your teamspirit...

Jump to: