33 coaches online • Server time: 09:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Optihut - UI - Team: What say thee?
Bonsai Project
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Delberz Devils
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Doukutsu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fazing Fiends
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Macavity
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Soylent Greener
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Tyrant Brigade
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I have (almost) made up my mind which team to take to the Ulthuan Invitational, but since I love polls... er respect and value the input of the fumbbl community, I thought I'd ask for your opinions!

Bonsai Preoject

Delberz Devils

Doukutsu

Fazing Fiends

Macavity

Soylent Greener

Tyrant Brigade

Best regards,

Optihut
PeteW

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Opti,

Good luck - I mean - you're going to need it!!!

The orcs are the only team that have the depth to survive the UI, but they have no DPs and that will cost you. Also the two niggled linos might prove to be a bind.

Hence, I voted Macavity.... but would he be dark or light?

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I find your Bonsai Project impressive, but you need to skill them ASAP to sidestep/block and dodge/block combos, because those +stats have huge potential but won't save your life in the long run.

I think the Delberz Devils have too weak blitzers to partake in the UI, honestly. Even if the team is very good.

Doukutsu is not a good choice. A +ST wardancer is not enough to start such a tough path.

Fazing Fiends is the most competitive atm, but I'd say develop the Bonsai Project instead.

Macavity is a nice option.

The Greener would be a brave choice, but seriously speaking they need a huge pimping before they can even think to enter a Major. A couple of nice Sauri (without Break Tackle, tho) is all they have. Thumbs down.

The Brigade is atm the best team you have to enter a Major, but those niggles can hurt. Awesome Black Orcs. Whate scares me is the amazingly low FF (10), which can hurt you quite a lot when facing other uberteams.

My choice is Bonsai Project, because after all skilling up Dark elves is easy, if you really want to. With Humans close seconds. Orcs come third, due to low FF and many niggles.

ps: you also need a LOT of cash. If you can manage to gather money, then I'd say humans. Their stars are just kick-ass mofos.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

For UI I would alsways advise you to enter a team that gets to play the "Light" qualifier. I think your big darkies are the best team you have in that category.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tips / assessments so far!

Here is my own take:

Bonsai Project - with the team building rules they would take forever to get them tournament ready. With my limited time of less than 1 game per day, that's impossible.

Delberz Devils - my personal favourite. I rarely win anyway and since this is the team I would like to participate with, I might play one more game to cure the injured blitzer. Of course this could mean that they are even in worse shape.

Doukutsu - Originally I wanted to take them to the finals, but that was before playing an injury heavy game that showed once more that AV7 isn't for me.

Fazing Fiends - During the Warpstone Open I had one more +ST guy and 13 players. Even in their battered state they have the potential for a good comeback. I would need 2 more players, though, which might be too hard to get with the limited amount of preparation time.

Macavity - too low CR Razz

Soylent Greener - Suffering from 2 bad matches, with no recovery in sight. I would love to take them, but again don't see how I could build them up.

Tyrant Brigade - Usually I horde cash just to get my TR to a high level. The team's goal is to reach the front page of the tables, so participating in a cup would be harmful for that. Also, they'd have to participate in the dark cup, which would mean getting ripped apart by multiple DPs + claws + RSCs.

So, I am torn between Delberz Devils and Fazing Fiends, but I am currently leaning towards the Devils.

Last edited by Optihut on %b %03, %2007 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that they are your strongest team, but you need to take into consideration that this specific major is different from the others in the sense that the qualifying is separated in light and drak teams. In my opinion, it is VERY hard to get through a dark qualifier without too much damage.

That is why I voted for the elves.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2007 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Question: how about forgetting about the team policy for the Bonsai Project?
Those guys have awesome potential.
It's up to you, really, but when you listed them among the potential participants in the UI I assumed you wanted to ignore the team policy for a while. Of course, if the answer is "no" their choice is impossibile due to too low a TR.

Your humans are a good alternative to your awesome darkies. But you need three things (from the most important to the less important).

1- Get a LOT of stashed gold (the Count and Griff DO win you games singlehandedly)
2- Let your blitzers grow by all means. You need more MBs, all four guards, and at least a mobile blitzer with tackle (which means either give tackle to your dauntless catcher or develop a SF -or dodge- blitzer).
3- Get a higher FF (not entirely in your hands, but absolutely vital)