46 coaches online • Server time: 20:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PLATYPUS

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Toilet, children, wife, telephone, door bell, pets, ... what so ever. It doesn't happen often but it can and will happen. Even with the little chat during the turns I hardly ever reach the 4min but once in the while the mentioned events happened.
Now you have to take a piss when you moved all your players but before you pressed the turn button. Otherwise you might come back and both turns (his and your next) are over.

Yes, I speced that WO game between M... and f... . It was very slow and not nice to watch but it seemed that both players were happy with that speed (since both took their time).

Why do all have to pay for, only because a few play like snails?

I understand those players who don't like to play slow games but are there so many? I play since 2003 and hardly had problems with slow players but a few times someone had to answer the phone, take care of children, pet or wife, or just have a smoke.

I am thankful for christers and skis work but I don't like that rule. It will do more harm than good.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for this post.
As a member of the "very vocal minority" I want to answer your post.

Sorry if I jumped on this decision angrily. Not my style, and I let this thing piss me off and it was a mistake. Still (once you take all the bitterness off my posts in the other thread) my basic resistances remain.
In game chatting will be more and more difficult, switching to U is not currently a viable option (as much as I'd like it to be), so I'm against it. I won't give it a try simply because, as I stated, I prefectly understand how it works and it does NOT suit my gameplay nor the way I want this site to be.

Of course, Christer, this is YOUR site and as such you have the last word.
All I can do is move to unranked (which I don't want to unless you show you CAN actually make it the main division) or leave Fumbbl.

So no ranked games any more for me unless this is gone. It's not blackmail, mind you: I understand that I count nothing in the site choices. But I have the right to react the way I want, and this rule makes Fumbbl Ranked games something too far from my expectations. For many reasons I already stated somewhere else, and that I hope you took the time to read and consider with your open mind.

Just that.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Players taking more than 4 min a turn = rare
Players nipping to toilet, answering phone, getting a beer = very frequent

End result should be games actually take longer... let's follow Christer's advice and try it, I'm sure most will come to the same conclusion whilst they're left twiddling their thumbs while player A goes to squeeze one out whilst they could be taking their turn.

Cos they can't also take a break in case you squeezed it out quick, came back and started their turn by ending yours. Smile

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Istarios

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Istarios, your interpretation of the 4 minute rule is a house rule. According to the written rules, the turn ends after 4 minutes, without your opponent calling IP.

If you actually read my post, you'd see references to the pages in both LRB4 and LRB5 for this. I'm not at home at the moment, and can't check my 3rd ed rulebook for the page number in that one, but I'm sure you can find it in there as well.

You're right ofcourse, but when I'm playing a boardgame I'm expecting my opponent to keep an eye on the time, as I'm probably too busy moving players and rolling dice.

I actually did read your post, but apparantly failed to read the LRB properly Embarassed

Still this would imo be a much better way to handle the transition from boardgame to online game.

Just adding my 2 cents to this debate.
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

As always Christer has presented a well balanced and sensible case for the benefit of the site for future coaches as well as currnet coaches. I feel that the behaviour/aggression of some coaches in irc and on the threads has been ill-judged, poorly phrased and in some cases disrespectful.

And for those that "threaten" to go if they "don't get their way" even my 5 year old does not behave like that, so if you do resort to veiled threats to quit then please do as you either:
a) Have a valid reason that stops you from playing and will no longer be able to do so
b) You are a self-centred coach who only wants to see what they want and not the rest of community NEEDS, and therefore we are better without you.

If you want to stay and dont want time-limits then play Unranked!!

Hopefully the moaners will gradually start to see the real implications and not just how it will affect there "old habits"

It still never fails amazes me how all this mob-rule fuss that has been raging starts to disapate and fade once they all start to really consider what is actually the case. In this one thing FUMBBL does replicate real-life uproar over spilt milk!!!

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer keep it up.

Too bad im at work and im not off duty untill tomorrow around 15.00 i will be sure to play some TL games, looking forward to it.

At first i loved the idea of a TL but im not so sure anymore, so im looking forward to test it my self.
Stormhammer

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

What I'm concerned about is that the "afk a sec, getting coffee/going to the toilet" etc. has to be done at the end of your turn, before you click end turn. Usually I did those things during my opponents turn, and thus the 4 minute turn limit might actually make my average game time longer, not shorter...

Even playing a coach you trust, you can't take the chance of going afk during his turn. This is because he can fail a roll leading to automatic turnover, starting your turn automatically. If the "click to end turn" was implemented for all turnovers, the coffee breaks could still take place during your opponents turn, thus maybe bringing about the shorter game length some people are asking for.

Get this into the client, and I'm not that concerned about the turn time limit. If an opponent abuses the trust you put in him, simply not play him anymore...
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
As always Christer has presented a well balanced and sensible case for the benefit of the site for future coaches as well as currnet coaches. I feel that the behaviour/aggression of some coaches in irc and on the threads has been ill-judged, poorly phrased and in some cases disrespectful.

And for those that "threaten" to go if they "don't get their way" even my 5 year old does not behave like that, so if you do resort to veiled threats to quit then please do as you either:
a) Have a valid reason that stops you from playing and will no longer be able to do so
b) You are a self-centred coach who only wants to see what they want and not the rest of community NEEDS, and therefore we are better without you.

Hopefully the moaners will gradually start to see the real implications and not just how it will affect there "old habits"

It still never fails amazes me how all this mob-rule fuss that has been raging starts to disapate and fade once they all start to really consider what is actually the case. In this one thing FUMBBL does replicate real-life uproar over spilt milk!!!

As I see it, its pretty similar (andI see the same coaches) protesting against LRB5 come to FUMBBL, withought a dice having been rolled

then again, Im being self righteous? Razz Wink Rolling Eyes
Metalsvinet

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand your reasons Christer, but i agree with a lot of the above guys. Time limit is fine in tourneys, but should be optional in ranked games. I usually like to chat in game if something weird happens and this time limit stops that. Another thing, i haven't played a game where the other guy was too slow unless he had a bad connection or some other good excuse, so i dont really feel the need for the enforcement of the 4 min rule.
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="SeraphimRed"]Players taking more than 4 min a turn = rare

End result should be games actually take longer... let's follow Christer's advice and try it, I'm sure most will come to the same conclusion whilst they're left twiddling their thumbs while player A goes to squeeze one out whilst they could be taking their turn.
/quote]

Hmmm....I am not sure I agree. A few people have made this argument and they are using flawed logic here.

I never have to go to the loo more than once a game if at all. Maybe one drink raid per game, usually at half time set up. therefore said disruption is only max 5 minutes per game at reasonable times.

The argument that this will effect more than 1 0r 2 turns per game and EVERY game is massively flawed and would only be a problem if the Ranked coaches are either:

a) Massivley Incontinent
b) Massive Alcoholics / Suffering from dehydration

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question that I can't see that has been covered... Can someone that has used the timer game, (or Christer!) tell me what happens after a game crash & reload?... does the timer get reset?... Is this something that is open to abuse?

I don't know the answer and having read a number of the posts about this subject and the clarification can't see where it's addressed... if it has been then I apologise!

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:

I take this is aimed at me.
Thanks but I'm a grown man and I prefer not to be compared to 5 yo kiddos. Mainly because if I answer verbosely then I get flamed for "not being constructive". So please leave these comments out of discussion.

Fact: I only play the Hellfish in Ranked
Fact: I want to be Ranked. I'm competitive, I offer competitive games, and I want to be rated.
Fact: DivU is currently almost dead.
Fact: I only play the Hellfish, so if I move the team and cannot get back, and U stays dead, I'm f*cked.
Fact: Unimportant as it may be, I based my presence on Fumbbl on developing a human team to be proud of. You might not understand this, but it's important to my fun.
Fact: creating another team wouldn't be as fun for me.
Fact: playing within the time limit is not difficult for me, but no way I am keen to let Fumbbl take over more important matters in my life.
Fact: at the same time, I consider it extremely harsh to force me to concede or to lose entire turns when in RL you would be patient and not enforce the time limit rule on me if I need to go and take out the litter.
Fact: in game chatting is VERY important in my Fumbbl experience, and this rule greatly reduces the chances for social interaction.
Fact: Ranked doesn't suit me any more. Unranked doesn't suit me *yet*. Stuck in the middle, I just say goodbye.

No threats. Just logical thinking.
I'm not considering myself so important as to make Fumbbl switch policy because of me, but I have the damn right to state my decision, I think.
And no, I'm not 5 yo thankyou.

Jan

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Stormhammer wrote:
....Usually I did those things during my opponents turn, and thus the 4 minute turn limit might actually make my average game time longer, not shorter...

hadnt considered this, *grumble* /me is gradually being converted to the anti crowd.

However, I love this place and will happily abide by any rules Christer sets (within reason Smile)

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:
Players taking more than 4 min a turn = rare

Cos they can't also take a break in case you squeezed it out quick, came back and started their turn by ending yours. Smile

No more beer!? Shocked

Good work Christer I see now that I got some of the facts wrong. But I still dont like it, it has moved closer to 35% against and 65% for. I like to chat during game. Hmmm i wonder how much time I spend chatting. Maybe it wont be a problem......as you said. I started crying out loud even before i tried it.

Christer: Don write such a long text next time. It took over 4 minutes to read and I had to give my turn up. I usually reads very fast but the mailman was at the door and my kid woke up...... Wink

Last edited by magan174 on %b %26, %2007 - %15:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

JockMcRowdy wrote:
However, I love this place and will happily abide by any rules Christer sets (within reason Smile)

A-ha! There is the rub. I reckon that's true of 99% of us. It's a pretty cool dictatorship that implements a rule on a free site, then offers a way out if over time we don't like it! Even if this stays, and opposition stays at 80% - which it is at in the poll right now - then the majority of us are going nowhere! Very Happy
 Jump to: