30 coaches online • Server time: 10:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Passionis6

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you don't have an opinion yet or do you have a problem expressing yourself. Here is the RANDOM ARGUMENT GENERATOR

Roll a d6: 1-3 you hate the new turn limit rule (go to generator 1)
4-6 you love the new turn limit rule (go to generator 2)

Genrator 1 "I hate the new turn limit rule"
Sometimes when I play Blood Bowl.....
(d6) 1. ...I have to feed my two year old son
2. ...I have to talk to my boss.
3. ...I have to answer the phone
4. ...my cat starts a fire
5. ...my three year old daughter awakens
6. ...I have to visit the bathroom

This means I will loose some turns or even some games due to the new rule.

For that reason i will now...
(d6) 1. ...leave fumbbl for ever
2. ...transfer all my teams to unranked
3. ...leave fumbbl and never come back
4. ...go to bed
5. ...repeat the above statement for ten more pages
6. ...stop playing Blood Bowl and take care of my real life

Generator 2 "I love the new Turn limit rule"
I love the new rule because...
(d6)1-2. ...it in the rules
3-4. ...its written in LRB 4
5-6 ...Christer says so
Malathlon

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Different people enjoy different things in life and this doesn't differ from any other matter. But even though I don't play myself anymore (not by choice but because I can't get rid of the touchdown bug I have) I still feel the need to protest against this rule.

I like to play games in general rather casual and slow whether it's a boardgame at a friends house or a game online whatever it may be and when I take the time to play something I don't wanna rush things just to get it over with. I rush things like dishes, vaccuming or whatever boring things there is in life you have to do and I take my time to enjoy the fun stuff in life....

I look at bloodbowl like a chessgame where you get to build your own pieces and the more skills players have the more I enjoy it since it requires more thinking in order to play well and thus I enjoy 200+ TR elfbowl games the best. And, atleast for me, they do take a substantial more time then low ranked games or bashy games since you have to check who has DT, passblock and whatever skills before you start dodging and passing.

And I wouldn't enjoy playing neither chess nor bloodbowl with a clock ticking over my head that forces me to play each turn in a certain amount of time be it one minute or 15 minutes..... I play rather slowly in general but unless I am playing a very good coach that defends perfectly each turn I keep under four minutes but since I like to think my actions through its around the four minute mark (in 200+ elfbowl games vs good defenders) I finish my turns that are a bit tricky so if somehting in RL interferes like the phone or whatever I usually go over the limit. And now people will tell me to go play unranked but I have never enjoyed playing unranked since it lacks a bit of the competitivness (sp?) that ranked offers and tbh I think people care less in unranked and thus play worse because there isn't the added incentive to play your best like the CR helps to add.

So to conclude my thoughts on the matter is that, had I still played, this would most likely have made me quit playing on fumbbl but I hope the rule gets booted after the test run...

I do however sincerly wanna thank Christer for this amazing site and all the work you put into it Smile

Ps I do understand the people on the other side of the fence too but as someone posted before the ones that are horribly slow are few and far between so this rule isn't needed imo. Just blacklist the ones you find slow and you don't have to play them again. And it's not exactly hard to ask someone before agreeing to a game how long their turns normally take.

Last edited by Malathlon on Feb 26, 2007 - 23:09; edited 1 time in total
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been here long enough to have seen the death of Fumbbl many times.

Let's list the times that i have seen Fumbbl die, never again to be played, with the reasons given.

1/ handicaps:-What do we need handicaps for? No-one will ever be able to use stunty teams again
2/ The removal of rankings for teams :- Why take it away, what is the point of having ranked teams now?
3/ TS within 40:-yet more stupid rules, we should be able to play whoever we like, that is it i will only played unranked now
4/ No opting out of ranked games in ranked :- Yet again i will only play in unranked
5/ Stars:- With the introduction of stars there is no longer any skill needed
6/ Wizards:- i am not playing anymore, wizards mean it just comes down to luck
7/ Removal of games for ranking before the 7th game:- That is it, no more rookie tournaments will be played
8/ Time Limit :- my poor child will die

As you can see the demise of Fumbbl has been great, every year less and less games get played, all the time Ranked becomes less popular...... erm....... Oh.... it doesn't?

[/sarcasm]
Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz, I had lag last night and the timer stopped while I stopped.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Passionis6 wrote:
Do you don't have an opinion yet or do you have a problem expressing yourself. Here is the RANDOM ARGUMENT GENERATOR

Roll a d6: 1-3 you hate the new turn limit rule (go to generator 1)
4-6 you love the new turn limit rule (go to generator 2)

Genrator 1 "I hate the new turn limit rule"
Sometimes when I play Blood Bowl.....
(d6) 1. ...I have to feed my two year old son
2. ...I have to talk to my boss.
3. ...I have to answer the phone
4. ...my cat starts a fire
5. ...my three year old daughter awakens
6. ...I have to visit the bathroom

This means I will loose some turns or even some games due to the new rule.

For that reason i will now...
(d6) 1. ...leave fumbbl for ever
2. ...transfer all my teams to unranked
3. ...leave fumbbl and never come back
4. ...go to bed
5. ...repeat the above statement for ten more pages
6. ...stop playing Blood Bowl and take care of my real life

Generator 2 "I love the new Turn limit rule"
I love the new rule because...
(d6)1-2. ...it in the rules
3-4. ...its written in LRB 4
5-6 ...Christer says so

Rofl - wespect... *thumbs up* - be careful - they might offer you a job at GW HQ... hehe
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Let's list the times that i have seen Fumbbl die, never again to be played, with the reasons given.

1/ handicaps:-What do we need handicaps for? No-one will ever be able to use stunty teams again
2/ The removal of rankings for teams :- Why take it away, what is the point of having ranked teams now?
3/ TS within 40:-yet more stupid rules, we should be able to play whoever we like, that is it i will only played unranked now
4/ No opting out of ranked games in ranked :- Yet again i will only play in unranked
7/ Removal of games for ranking before the 7th game:- That is it, no more rookie tournaments will be played

As you can see the demise of Fumbbl has been great, every year less and less games get played, all the time Ranked becomes less popular...... erm....... Oh.... it doesn't?

[/sarcasm]

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUSLY TRUE!!!

Thanks for a VERY good post Freak Very Happy

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Phew, 3 and an half hour to read through the pile of posts. This way the new rule indeed does keep me from playing, Wink even though I prefer unranked.
I wonder how many fathers do the babysitting. They seem well drilled by their partners then. Shocked

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
4. ...go to bed

and now I rolled a 4

Khor_Varik

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Did there *really* have problems without the rule ?
If we want to finish a match in around 1 hour or 1h30, why we haven't a rule for the global match time and not for each turn?
With this rule of a global match time, we can have FAST games WITHOUT the problem of the 4 minute rule. We'll have time to go at toillets or take a beer, etc, but playing a fast game and without the problems of playing a turn during less than 4 minutes for every turn.
This global match time (may be 90 minutes) could be a solution ?
Qaz

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok thanx for that answer Meech. Finaly an answer.

Now onto my next question.

Lets say I 2 guys play a game. The game crashes and they relaod ini. It is coach ones turn and coach 1 starts to get on with his turn. Coach 2 notice that some thing is wrong and that coach 1 is doing stuff the he should not be able to do. Coach 2 then figures out that he does not see the same screen as coach 1. Coach to trys to explain that to coach 1. Coach 1 replay I dont have time to discuss that now I have to finish my turn within 4 mins. After the turn is done they star discussing but it is too late cuz the game already saved and the damage is done.

How does the client handle this?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Krulemuck

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

It is so extremely frustrating that all of you people can write, but only a few can actually read.

THE TURN TIME LIMIT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY END YOUR TURN.
YOU STILL HAVE TO CLICK THE END TURN BUTTON.

So, after finishing your turn you can actually:

- Chat with your opponent without a hurry
- Run to the toilet
- Grab a snack

Without any rush at all, after having resupplied with food, having relived yourself, and discussed in length how sneaking a star player in after agreeing to the game makes your opponent a menace to the community, you can:

CLICK END TURN.

Ranked and Factions NEED the turn time limit DESPERATELY, because the computer makes the game ridicolously easy to play (compared to the board version!) which leads to extremely few "real" mistakes. Limiting the time availiable to figure out the best move clearly helps to figure out who is better at playing this game, which is what the ranked and faction divisions are about.

Keyword: "Competitiveness"
Khor_Varik

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:

[/sarcasm]

Funny, but the turn time limit has something different : the problem is that we need to be on the computer during ALL the game.
Is there the same problem for all the other problems you show?
1/ handicaps : we are free to move when we want
2/ The removal of rankings for teams : we are free to move when we want
3/ TS within 40: we are free to move when we want
... same thing for the 7 points.
It doesn't?
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

what about the children!!!!!
Khor_Varik

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
what about the children!!!!!

As i said, for the 8th point that's different... You don't know read or you asked for another comment?
In this case, plz quote.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh, good to see this debate going the way of all internet threads Smile
Side 1 resorts to hyperbole and has a seisure on the floor
Side 2 resorts to sarcasm and grammarfascism
Neither side actually debates the issue past the first few pages.

Having thought about it for a while, im forced to come down on the side of "Do we actually NEED the rule" or does it cause more problems than it solves. I guess we will see in a month or so when ranked games played has either gone up or down Smile

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
 Jump to: