61 coaches online • Server time: 22:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Russo"]
SeraphimRed wrote:
Players taking more than 4 min a turn = rare
Players nipping to toilet, answering phone, getting a beer = very frequent

End result should be games actually take longer... let's follow Christer's advice and try it, I'm sure most will come to the same conclusion whilst they're left twiddling their thumbs while player A goes to squeeze one out whilst they could be taking their turn.
/quote]

Hmmm....I am not sure I agree. A few people have made this argument and they are using flawed logic here.

I never have to go to the loo more than once a game if at all. Maybe one drink raid per game, usually at half time set up. therefore said disruption is only max 5 minutes per game at reasonable times.

The argument that this will effect more than 1 0r 2 turns per game and EVERY game is massively flawed and would only be a problem if the Ranked coaches are either:

a) Massivley Incontinent
b) Massive Alcoholics / Suffering from dehydration

Nonetheless, it will take longer, and by your logic, 2 turns longer (minimum)... more than anything, it'd be the annoyance for me that I just have to sit there when I could normally take my turn whilst I waited.

But meh - I'm up for "suck it and see" I could always download some p0rn whilst I wait. Smile

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

destroyer_dabes

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have an emergency, why not just plead your case to the other coach during his turn? If he listens, then he will just let his turn clock go down all the way after he is done moving, not clicking his turn button until you are back from afk. This is a friendly measure to allow for emergencies. It also allows for your opposing coach to screw you hardcore, but I don't think many would do this unless they thought you were abusing the breaks, ie three extended breaks in one game.
Istarios

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

destroyer_dabes wrote:
If you have an emergency, why not just plead your case to the other coach during his turn? If he listens, then he will just let his turn clock go down all the way after he is done moving, not clicking his turn button until you are back from afk. This is a friendly measure to allow for emergencies. It also allows for your opposing coach to screw you hardcore, but I don't think many would do this unless they thought you were abusing the breaks, ie three extended breaks in one game.

Unless your opponent suffers a turnover....
SeraphimRed

... also, if I've been out drinking/or drinking in the house, and want to play I'll have a few more beers... and don't even ask me to leave the others warming up by the monitor!!! NEVER~!

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Leijonet

I'm positive of this change. Although I can agree with the argument that chatting between players will suffer, I do not think it will suffer that much. For most coaches, and most turns, four minutes are plenty. And the problem with real life interefering, like phone ringing, that could sometimes be a problem, yes. However, I think it will be a minor inconvenience. People will learn how the new rule works, and adapt accordingly. We will simply have to see what happens, and I for one is okay with that.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
Qaz

Posted in the other thread and did not get any answer

So to repeat my self does any one know how the client handles lagg?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The argument that this will effect more than 1 0r 2 turns per game and EVERY game is massively flawed and would only be a problem if the Ranked coaches are either:

If you are not a fast paced team you only have to suffer a single full turn-over to risk wrecking your entire match.

I don't think this is going to be an enormous thing, but I think the amount of frustration caused by people thinking that their opponent being a bit slow will be very marginal compared to the frustration people will feel when they lose games because of an enforced turn limit.

And then there is of course the social aspect. With an element of stress there will be a severe cut down on the chat conversations that I find extremly important to enjoy the matches.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, let's try to be serious: Christer, can u provide the number of "Active teams" (i.e. played at least one game in the last 30 days) in Ranked and in Unranked? Just to give us all something to work on.

Seems to me like a nice (and resonable) request that would enlighten us all a fair bit.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hypothetical scenario:

You're playing in a cool, enjoyable match. Suddenly, your cat jumps up on the table, accidentally catching his tail on the candle you have there. So, now your cat is on fire. At the same time, your baby daughter (who just turned 2 last week) swallows a marble and starts choking. So you now have a panicked cat, on fire, running around your house, lighting curtains on fire while your child is choking. So, being the responsible person you are, you rush off from the computer, save your child from choking and quickly extinguish fires and save your cat.

Then, when things have settled down, you think to yourself "Oh bugger, my skaven team might lose the match because of the missed turn...".

After 10 intensive minutes of life and house saving, you go back to your computer and see the turn timer on 10:27, no players moved. Did you just lose your match because of missing a full turn?

You apologize to your opponent who is wondering what happened to you, and explain that you had a minor emergency at the house.. Being a friendly guy, your opponent understands, and you reload the .dat savefile, allowing you to start your turn from the beginning, giving you your 4 minutes.

If you had to leave in the middle of your own turn, you could have loaded the .inc file and all would have been perfectly fine as well.

Now, the event is intended as humour, and not something that is likely to happen. I do understand that RL intervenes sometimes, and you might not have time to tell your opponent about it. The point I'm trying to make is that if you have to hurry off, your opponent is probably going to understand and you simply reload the match. No big deal, and solves the problem quite easily.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
SeraphimRed wrote:
Players taking more than 4 min a turn = rare
Players nipping to toilet, answering phone, getting a beer = very frequent

End result should be games actually take longer... let's follow Christer's advice and try it, I'm sure most will come to the same conclusion whilst they're left twiddling their thumbs while player A goes to squeeze one out whilst they could be taking their turn.

Hmmm....I am not sure I agree. A few people have made this argument and they are using flawed logic here.

I never have to go to the loo more than once a game if at all. Maybe one drink raid per game, usually at half time set up. therefore said disruption is only max 5 minutes per game at reasonable times.

a) Massivley Incontinent
b) Massive Alcoholics / Suffering from dehydration

It only takes one missed turn to completely change the game. Not ending your turn seems to be logical if irritating way around this.

Last edited by koadah on %b %26, %2007 - %16:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course... reloading isn't very reliable in my (and my opponents experience) and often delays the game quite a bit to get everything right again. Smile

EDIT::
koadah - never said it wasn't a way to prevent missing a turn, just that it actually makes a game slower regardless of how long that may or may not be.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Last edited by SeraphimRed on %b %26, %2007 - %15:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer>

Are there any practical problems with making it an optional thing?

If the battle is lost I'm sure I can grow to accept it (or move my teams to Unranked), but is there really any need in enforcing it always? Making it obligatory in tournaments and optional for other Ranked matches seems like the best way of introducing the turn limit and at the same time keep as many people as possible satisfied.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Posted in the other thread and did not get any answer

So to repeat my self does any one know how the client handles lagg?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
SnakeSanders

Christer wrote:
Hypothetical scenario:

You're playing in a cool, enjoyable match. Suddenly, your cat jumps up on the table, accidentally catching his tail on the candle you have there. So, now your cat is on fire. At the same time, your baby daughter (who just turned 2 last week) swallows a marble and starts choking. So you now have a panicked cat, on fire, running around your house, lighting curtains on fire while your child is choking. So, being the responsible person you are, you rush off from the computer, save your child from choking and quickly extinguish fires and save your cat.

Then, when things have settled down, you think to yourself "Oh bugger, my skaven team might lose the match because of the missed turn...".

After 10 intensive minutes of life and house saving, you go back to your computer and see the turn timer on 10:27, no players moved. Did you just lose your match because of missing a full turn?

You apologize to your opponent who is wondering what happened to you, and explain that you had a minor emergency at the house.. Being a friendly guy, your opponent understands, and you reload the .dat savefile, allowing you to start your turn from the beginning, giving you your 4 minutes.

If you had to leave in the middle of your own turn, you could have loaded the .inc file and all would have been perfectly fine as well.

Now, the event is intended as humour, and not something that is likely to happen. I do understand that RL intervenes sometimes, and you might not have time to tell your opponent about it. The point I'm trying to make is that if you have to hurry off, your opponent is probably going to understand and you simply reload the match. No big deal, and solves the problem quite easily.

Brilliant! Laughing
Skeloboy

I'd really like to know about the lag problem to?
 Jump to: