36 coaches online • Server time: 20:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Trying to be constructive:

The 4 mins rule is there to prevent people to think too long about the moves.
A "make pitch black" feature would be real handy: if I have to go for a RL issue, I click on the "black pitch" icon, and my timer (and the timer of my opponent) stops. My opponent is notified that I've entered the "dark pitch" moment, and as such can't think that I'm trying to plan the next moves.

If such a feature would be implemented, then probably the time limit could stay.

I still think it's BAD for chatting (which hurts me a lot), but if you hardcore guys can't really live without the 4 mins time limit rule, then I think such a feature would be the perfect way to prevent RL issues conflict with the outcome of games.

I'd gladly have feedback on this one.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I back pitch sounds like a good idea, was thinking the same.

I would rather call it a "Time Out"-button and make a pop-up (grey) window apear infront of the pitch. Dont like black...
Metalsvinet

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried a game with the 4 min rule yesterday and must say i managed to both play and chat, but then again a lot of snake eyes for me... My opponent had one turn interrupted by the time limit. I am not as negative about the time limit as before trying, but would still prefer it to be optional. Imo the best way would be a "call illegal procedure" button, this way all would be happy even though it doesn't follow the LRB4.
Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The optional thing is another good way to get both views together. I'd say it should be enforced for tournament games it could be something the players have to agree upon on normal ranked games and the client can only connect to the server if the setting for the 4 minute rule is the same.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I must say I support the new 4 minute rule. I have played a couple of games with it and managed to have a good chat and play at the same time. It just cuts down on players taking forever to finish a move and speeds up the game nicely.
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried out the new turn limit as well and it worked fine for me but then again - i have no children nor cats. My opponent got caught by the turn limit once during the game, myself nearly caught by it as i was chatting away.

A time-out button of some sort could be fine if it is not too much of a hassle.

M

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

just a comment... i would like to have the option to deactivate the 4min timer providing both playrs agree. a tiny icon could light up and so on. once accepted, the whole turn is played without the timer...

this would be useful for rl emergencies or, for example, when i'm talking an opponent through his first OTT (ie. im helping my opponent to beat me).

another option is after 4 mins a timer shows up and a button. the timer is there for 60 seconds, and providing either of the players hit the button, the time limit will be deactivated that turn...

note that this will still impose overall time limits on players stopping the 7-10 min per turn players, but allow most other ppl to be flexible. the only way to get around the timelimit is with an option to click when starting the game, deactivating the turn limit comletely... as long as both players both select the option or leave it untouched, it should be ok. the game should be rejected if 1 hits the time limit and the other doesnt. means that slow players will obviously be asking for the box to be deselected, and give their opponents adequate warning, which is only fair at the end of the day

either way, i have the time whistle on, and every match in 1-2 turns either myself or myopponent will exceed it due to chatting... would hate to spoil the community feeling juts for the sake of the rules. the 4 min rule is there to stop ppl playing 15mins per turn imo... hehehee

nice effort tho, keep up the good work

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

@Christer:

I really like the idea of having a button to call the "Illegal Procedure" on an opponent that has deliberately exceeded his allotted time. This would fix any unforeseen events and also anyone being strict rules-wise can have their say. Would this be a big undertaking, code-wise? And yeah, might be a good idea to call it something else than "Illegal Procedure button", why not "Da big red button" Smile

erzkanzler

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You know people that Christer actually even goes to the length of bugging SkiJunkie into updating the client, an option I did not think available to us.

Awesome.

With that in mind I am quite sure that most (admittedly not all) of the against crowd will find their concerns addressed and ranked is likely to remain the division of all purpose, including silly one off games. We'll see, whether Unranked will receive more attention from people who still abhore the time limit. As I don't know whether Christer planned to have discussion spill over to this new thread, I won't put forward arguments but conclude:

Thank you!

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I have basically spent every moment of my free time since friday on this matter, testing, implementing, listening to the insane amount of voices about it. It appears that some of you have misinterpreted that as me not caring, which is far from the truth...

Not at all. I know you work hard on this site constantly, and again thanks for it. Some of us hwo is not 24/7 logged to the site find the changes sudden, unexpected, and sometimes bad which need to be discussed. That s it, no attack on you.
There has been changes lately, the 7 game rule, etc. To those we get used to. This turn limit rule not only affects the site, but the game in the client as well, that s why the big uproar.

My two cents to the solution:
Make it an option. Something that can be agreed before the game. Or at the start of the game with OR logic. (If any one coach would like turn time enforcement, then it takes effect) Maybe a yes/no dialog box at the start of the game, I think SkiJunkie can have that implemented quite fast. Some tournaments can make it a must, if needed be.
'Calling illegal procedure button' is not that good in my opinion. It makes the oppoment directly responcible. Would you press it to stop a td/ gangfoul/ cage making? Would you be mad to the opp, if he stopped your turn? I guess if you start the match with the rule, it s enforcement should be automatic.

Even if it is enforced, you need a timeout option. 1 for each coach at least(above the halftime, and setups), for reasons we all stated. It is not for every game, but the unexpected few. (You need sure feet, no matter it is a 2+ Smile

The turn limit (probably) kills chat. I see no solution to that.

Kk
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer>

I hope my critique wasn't taken as whining or as personal critique of you. I think you are doing a fantastic job of actively taking part in the discussions, and I'm glad that you have decided to deal with the fears people have about the new system.

I think the strong reactions can be taken as a compliment. You have created something that a lot of people hold in high regard and are very protective about Smile

Keep up the good work!
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't want to post here as I don't want harp on about this further but thought I'd just say this now.

For those who are suggesting Black Pitch would prevent people thinking about their moves further...
Print Screen, CTRL+V into MS Paint (Other graphic packages are available) would anyone actually bother? ... probably.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Last edited by SeraphimRed on %b %27, %2007 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, to stick my (hopefully vaguely constructive) oar in :
1) This business of your turn not properly ending at 4 minutes. This should be consistent, i.e. for any turnover event, the client should wait until you click the turn marker before starting the other player's turn. This should be an option though, and indeed it should be possible for tourney organisers to force it off. Also, if we're going for LRB compliance, your turn really should end at 4 minutes, i.e. no moving the currently selected player...
2) Add a 'stop clock' option to the client - I'd have thought next to the sync & concede menu would be a good place. It only needs to work during your turn (since in their turn you could just ask them to stop the clock), and the opposing player should agree - i.e. pop up a dialog on their client. Stop the clock while they decide of course! Again that should be something that tourneys could force off.
I'd be happy with the change if it included these.
Although... played an unranked game with a stunty team last night, it was great fun. So cheers for providing an incentive for me and others to do that Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Trying to be constructive:

The 4 mins rule is there to prevent people to think too long about the moves.
A "make pitch black" feature would be real handy: if I have to go for a RL issue, I click on the "black pitch" icon, and my timer (and the timer of my opponent) stops. My opponent is notified that I've entered the "dark pitch" moment, and as such can't think that I'm trying to plan the next moves.

If such a feature would be implemented, then probably the time limit could stay.

I still think it's BAD for chatting (which hurts me a lot), but if you hardcore guys can't really live without the 4 mins time limit rule, then I think such a feature would be the perfect way to prevent RL issues conflict with the outcome of games.

I'd gladly have feedback on this one.

About the pitch-black thing. Well if you really want to think it through you could easily make a screen-shot before entering pitch black mode, or did you mean that this mode should blacken the complete monitor? If so that could be a problem as well as some of the issues resulting in a longer turn could be PC-oriented....not good entering pitch black mode if you have to amdinistrate something fast for example

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

lol guys

I just thought it could be a good way to prevent ALMOST all problems...

After all, I could play all my games with the Hellfish in chat with PeteW telling me what to do. That would be most unfair but the current system doesn't prevent me from trying (and probably winning) that way.

Of course you can print screen but come on... would you REALLY bother????
sigh...