29 coaches online • Server time: 18:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which turn limit fix would you prefer?
1. Timeout! button
23%
 23%  [ 72 ]
2. Pause button + start of turn blanking
27%
 27%  [ 86 ]
3. Global emergency timer
41%
 41%  [ 129 ]
4. Something else (explained below)
8%
 8%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 313

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Am I the only one that now plays with a bucket of water near the PC incase a flaming feline/Zebra/Girlfriend/sambuca crosses my path? No? Just me then... Laughing

No, I play with a bucket of gasoline so I can light cats and then send them to distract my opponents. Smile

They're even more effective than the killer bees were!

Haha - best laugh I've had all day. Very Happy
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The discussion has left the "why use"state. It is now about how to make it more adaptable to online-gaming. We (actullay Christer) dont want to use house-rules.

Timeout is a rule just like that you may only pass one time or only blitz one time.

Jesperius wrote:
Why not make time a part of options? Then if one of the players want to play with time u have to or finde another game. I think that will solve a lot of the problems for everybody. In tournament time will then be used if one of the players want it.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What about a fixed nr of timeouts like 3 or 5.

Not sure what should happen when you run out of timeouts and the dieaper explodes though. Maybe if you really need that nr6 long timeout (long because getting some water and still be within 4 mins is easy) Guess you could ask your opponent to give you one of hes / hers Smile

Or if you really need another AFK after using them all then maybe this is the time where you could live with missing 1 turn.
MickeX

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Alt 3 sounds perfect to me. With 15 minutes in reserve and a ping if I'd ever pass 4 minutes, I wouldn't get stressed the least by a time limit. Thanks everybody for all the thought put into the process.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Third seems most likely, and I'd support it. That said, i voted for 1 because its closest to what we have now, and the time limit was something I didnt want to begin with.
In truth though i'd be very happy with 3, since it allows for emergencies, but doesnt detract from the seriousness you want to introduce to ranked. It should allow players to take their time without taking the piss, and should not give anyone any more ability to 'grief' than they have already. (something which 1 might arguably do)

If 3 can be implemented, then its a good solution. As long as we have an operational turn timer, its the best choice. As to whether there should 'be' the aforementioned timer is something for another thread.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm seems i didnt get the nr3 ...for some reason, i wish i could chnge my vote and delete my post, i vote for nr3.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like options 2 and 3 are equally liked. And also number 1 is close.

I guess Pac is right: whatever Ski finds easier to code, we take.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Khaan wrote:
... i can also go extinguish my burning cat.

I'm sure your cat will appreciate that you only extinguish the fire, not the cat. Wink

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted 1, cause I like the idea that two coaches can agree not to use it.

As for the hostility thing, I dont think thats gonna be a problem, because this 4 min problem is no way as big as the massive amounts of posts indicates, and the hostity is still amongst some people, and most of them dont play against each other. For the sync thing...no idea:)
ChrisB

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would prefer to see a request for pause button so your opponent can chose to accept - if they dont you automatically get an acceptance for the beginning of your next turn. This pause should also limited to 10 minutes and once per half.
Borgen

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, the best solution is to implement for ranked tournaments only. Any chance this can be one of the options?

Ranked tournaments are where we have the most problems with slow play, and there is more of an argument that you should be scheduling your time for those tournaments so that RL obligations can wait. I think I've only played 1 or 2 ranked games in the entire time I've been here where I would have enjoyed having a turn timer to speed my opponent along. I've had dozens of games where there was a turn or two where either I or my opponent had to step away for 5 minutes, and the turn timer would have caused problems there.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen: Ranked is essential a competitive division, and as such a tournament...

OH...and what about lagging?!?!?!?
Krulemuck

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should just leave the issue be for now. Players are aware and Ski Junkie is aware of the situation as well. After a reasonable period of time, say, 3 month, the discussion will be much more calm and most importantly Ski Junkie will have come up with some kind of plan of his own. After all he is the guy who knows whats possible and what is not. The most important thing is that the Turn Time Limit is mandatory for everybody, not subject to agreement between the two opposing coaches.

Of the options given, i'd prefer the "Pause/Resume" button, and in direct reply to Christer:

- There could be a blank field used, so its not ugly just all players disapear.

- The chat could stay fully functional during the Pause, just all game related controls like selecting players would be frozen

Screenshots?
- Do not matter at all in casual games
- Pausing rules for tournaments that matter
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Leave the issue in this particular topic would be kind a weird, since this is the topic where Christer told us to give us an opinion:)
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Does this mean that the Enforced time limit is still on "trial"? Or does it stick if Ski can fix this?

Voted 2 btw...

Last edited by Skolopender on Feb 27, 2007 - 17:31; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: