51 coaches online • Server time: 23:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which turn limit fix would you prefer?
1. Timeout! button
23%
 23%  [ 72 ]
2. Pause button + start of turn blanking
27%
 27%  [ 86 ]
3. Global emergency timer
41%
 41%  [ 129 ]
4. Something else (explained below)
8%
 8%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 313

screech

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

So we're going from discussing whether the community wants the turn limits or not (which about 75% polled said no), to we're having them, which flavor of limits do you want?

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

#1 is badf unless its use is limited to x times a game (its unlikely you will be disturbed more than 3 times a game

#2 is the best option IMHO, but abuse can be reported (or its use can be limited)

#3 is bad as slow coaches who dont talk have an extra minute to take turns
Fama

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted 1, but I think none of the options are great.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
#1 is badf unless its use is limited to x times a game (its unlikely you will be disturbed more than 3 times a game

#2 is the best option IMHO, but abuse can be reported (or its use can be limited)

#3 is bad as slow coaches who dont talk have an extra minute to take turns

You sure you ain't mistaking #1 for a hockey timeout where you actually get more time? This "Timeout" stops your turn after it's over 4 minutes. So if your opponent is just playing slowly, you can time his turn out, so to speak.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

screech wrote:
So we're going from discussing whether the community wants the turn limits or not (which about 75% polled said no), to we're having them, which flavor of limits do you want?

I think that the argument that the site stays as close as possible to the rules within the limits of the client available is a very strong one.

Let me use another example. I think that Khemri are a terrible list, and that it's a great shame they were ever designed, much less made official - nor am I alone in thinking so. But if 75% of the community voted that Khemri should be banned, should Christer do it?

Mob democracy is not a good way to make rules of any sort.

Last edited by pac on %b %27, %2007 - %17:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
... but I think none of the options are great.

Agreed...

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

<blue> BRB
<red> Dude, your time is almost up
<blue> I know, my cat smoked my last cigarette. So I am trying to smoke that cat
<red> but you may lose a turn
<blue> It's ok, I know what is important.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
<blue> BRB
<red> Dude, your time is almost up
<blue> I know, my cat smoked my last cigarette. So I am trying to smoke that cat
<red> but you may lose a turn
<blue> It's ok, I know what is important.

There is no smiley for being in pain with laughter. Sad

Edit: I wanted to put this in my sig, but it's just too many lines to be practical. Sad

Last edited by pac on %b %27, %2007 - %17:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
Does this mean that the Enforced time limit is still on "trial"? Or does it stick if Ski can fix this?

screech wrote:

Christer clearly wants the timer for Rank, now he's trying to find something those of use who oppose it can live with.

Last edited by Craftnburn on %b %27, %2007 - %17:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:44
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I hope to be able to find a way to add the turn limit into ranked. People opposing the competetive environment is another problem that I do intend to address, but I simply don't have enough time to do everything at once.
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Waht if my connection is lagging?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
Fama wrote:
... but I think none of the options are great.

Agreed...

I don't get that... The reasons against this rule (unless I am missing something - please correct me if I am), were RL emergencies, IG chat and the like. The arguments for this were to stop games taking forever with slow coaches, and the (rock-solid reason) LRB compliance.

How does option 3 not make everyone happy? I can chat, put the cat out, light a new cat, release the bees, scratch, fob the boss off, whilst at the same time know that the guy on the other end of the connection can't take the Mickey with his turn time anymore. 4 minutes, 5 minutes, it's a small difference to a slow coach (and only +15 mins to you out of 2 hours), they still have to speed up.

What am I missing? Confused

Edit:

pac wrote:
Mob democracy is not a good way to make rules of any sort.

Couldn't agree more - but the trouble-stirring-Devil's-Advocate within me wants to say, "So, why make a poll?" Laughing
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I would allso have liked the "only in officials tourneys option"
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Couldn't agree more - but the trouble-stirring-Devil's-Advocate within me wants to say, "So, why make a poll?" Laughing

Consultation is important. A good leader gets people to accept things they don't want, didn't ask for and say they will hate. But a great leader, when the people realise it was a wonderful thing all along, makes them think it was their idea!

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer. These posts show that you actually care about our opinions. That's good, really good. Last night in chat I really got the impression of you being.....well not so nice to us who dislike the 4 min rule as it's enforced at the moment.

An emergency button that freezes the game and makes it all "black" for me and stops the time is the best solution to me. Then I can change diapers on my children or comfort them after a nightmare or answer the phone etc. You get the picture. The chat window would still be "open" I hope for explanations to my opponent.

4 min rule will make a diferent game and I am not opposed to it being enforced IF we can get an "emegency pause" button.

Christer - I love this game, I love this site you have created. I really appriciate all your hard work for this site. This enforcement was a bit too fast implemented and stirred up a lot of feelings. I apologize if anything I have said have offended you.

Keep up the good work and find an emergency-pause button option and I will be back in ranked.
 Jump to: