23 coaches online • Server time: 03:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which turn limit fix would you prefer?
1. Timeout! button
23%
 23%  [ 72 ]
2. Pause button + start of turn blanking
27%
 27%  [ 86 ]
3. Global emergency timer
41%
 41%  [ 129 ]
4. Something else (explained below)
8%
 8%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 313

Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
3. Option.. um.. #3.
This option would give a flexibility that I like. It would make it possible for me to allow tournaments with different timer rules:
* Normal (4 minutes per turn + 15 minutes extra)
* Chess style (1h per match)
* Speed tourneys (1 minute per turn + 10 minutes extra)
* Hardcore (1 minute per turn, no more!)
Interesting, but what happened to LRB Compliance?

This sounds like "House Rules" which were argued against previously...

And certainly games played at variant time controls shouldn't contribute to CR and thus wouldn't belong in Rank anyway.
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 18:56
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

These options could be made available to [U] tournaments.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted 2 but is getting swayed towards 3... As a dad, 15 reserve mins. should be plenty in a game, especially considering it to be only in the competetive games... I still would rather be without. But hey!, the name "Global emergency timer" actually sounds cool to. Mr. Green So if the name sticks... Plz feel free to change my vote from 2 to 3....

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Option 3 is fair in my opinion. Minor things like phone calls and stuff shouldn't exhaust the 15 min counter, and in case people need a 30 min break for something big I honestly think it reaches the point where perhaps a concede or breaking the match to continue it another time becomes the most fair solution.

Depending on the situation I will still consider it a bad attitude if the opponent forces a concede, but this should happen so rarely that I can just take the loss and blacklist (or whatever method chosen to remind yourself to avoid some people) the opponent so that I don't have to deal with him again.

I would still prefer if there would be an option where both coaches can agree to not have any form of time limit though. I don't really see any valid argument against it except that people who specc might get bored, but I don't understand why their will should ever be premiered over the playing coaches.

If I had to take longer than 20 minutes for a turn, I would ask my opponent if he wanted to reschedule the match for later first, if feasible, so they can go and start another game.
Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I voted 2 but I have been thinking I like 1. Worse case scenario, you are playing some royal prick (We will call him "Sinn", just took the name off the top of my head). Sinn is playing a nice fellow named "Pak". Pak has mistakenly lit his highly valued toupee collection on fire while trying to ignite some incense. (Pak had some cheese and is lactose intollerant).

<pak> Hey mate, all my hair pieces are on fire. Can we go on hold while I put them out?
<sinn> I don't think so, you see, my undead are the most ruthless bastards around, I mean, we can't win a major, but no dice! Let your rugs burn, or lose the rest of your turn BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
<pak> Eep, it has spread to my ant farm brb
<sinn>\\o
<sinn>o//
<sinn>\o/

See at worst poor pak just loses the remainder of his turn, or all of his next available turn. So really, 1 is the best option. (actually the best option is no timer, but 1. is the best of the rest.)

Last edited by Meech on %b %27, %2007 - %21:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
TBK

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for option 3 but I think that 15 min is to much maybe 5-10 minutes if its gonna take longuer than taht maybe concede or talk with the other player to start the game again later when you will be more busy. I also don't think that chatting should be a problem, if you chat during your turn instead of playing and your turn ends well thats just silly.

IMO anyway that's how I see things I can understand that an emergencies happen but i dont think its worth giving 15 min every game in the RARE case an emergency happens. And lets be frank I think 4 min in a ranked game is more than plenty enough to play a turn.
Fama

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for Meech.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
These options could be made available to [U] tournaments.

/boo, they should be available to all matches. Like I have said before. I have children and besides that, there are several other things you could take in to consideration. Playing "live" is so much different from plaing online.

Im only afraid this will give me less playtime. Evil or Very Mad

Turn limit should be optional, you should be able to take it away if you both agreed on doing so before the game starts.

EDIT: Did I mention I woted for the paus button. Razz Though I meant to choose 4.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

There is still the problem of reloaded games.
Some time when you reload you will need to sync before moving around cuz strange things can happen. Before this was a minor problem with unlimited time to discuss this and for the players find out whats not right. Now some people might not want to stop and waste there time. So they do there turn and then stop to notiche whats wrong. At this point the damage might have bin done. like walking past standing players and so on.

This said I think that option #3 might be the right way to go.
I am no fan of the time limits online but these extra 15 mins might be just what is needed to make it work. And still get a good pace on the game stop slow players etc.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm curious how we went from a poll showing that half the community wanted to see time limits only in tournaments, and christer asking which we preferred, globally or tournies only....

to completely ignoring the option of only having it in tournaments, and enforcing it in ranked globally...

Christer wrote:
Yes, I hope to be able to find a way to add the turn limit into ranked. People opposing the competetive environment is another problem that I do intend to address, but I simply don't have enough time to do everything at once.

i'm also still curious about this idea that ranked is not competitive, and time limits will suddenly make it competitive?

that's hardly the case, and anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise, is delusional....

christer, it seems to me like you've already made up your mind, and polling the community or whatever comes across as a joke to make people feel like they have some sort of choice....if i'm wrong, then so be it, i apologize up front....but that comment says to me that turn limits will be enforced, and there's nothing anyone can say about it that will change the fact....

as for people opposing the competitive nature of ranked?...when has anyone opposed ranked being competitive?...

opposing turn limits isn't opposing competition....it's opposing barriers being put in place that allow us to be flexible and still take part in the games....there's a *huge* difference....

enforcing time limits doesn't suddenly turn ranked into a huge competitive fishbowl....it's actually going to end up driving some coaches away, due to the nature of the time that their playing falls into(IE: Purplechest)...where do you get this idea that this new "feature" is suddenly going to revamp the entire competitive nature of the division?..because frankly, i'd really love to have some of the crack they're dealing there Smile(yes, that was a joke, get over it people :-p )

most coaches already play well ahead of the 4 minute time limit, so how is this new inclusion going to be one of the factors in fixing your issues about ranked not being competitive enough?

and finally, i'm curious as to why it's essential to make ski do more work to code a fix to a fix, when the easy solution is to just enable it for tournies only, since in all fairness....tournaments are the only real competition as long as ranked continues to be the popular division...

--j

ImageImage

Last edited by shadow46x2 on %b %27, %2007 - %21:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
hauge

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

bump...

Oh and i voted for option 1 - i feel that the time-limit should be a tool you can use against a really slow coach, not something imposed on the ones who want to play friendly yet competitive matches... I mean, c'mon, it's only a game, and we're all - hopefully - playing mainly to enjoy ourselves...

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote timeout button - it fits the LRB closest, as "Illegal Procedure" isn't automatic - your opponent still has to call it. If You have an opponent who misses it, or is kind enough not to call it because U have an emergency, then more the better.

To get arround the synch problem, give 4 min 30 seconds, as if they have a ping of 30000, then they have more problems than an unfriendly opponent

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with about everything Shadow said. I will however give it a 2-3 week tryout.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

as for people opposing the competitive nature of ranked?...when has anyone opposed ranked being competitive?...

I suppose he aimed at those coaches who exploit the glitches in the coach rating system to sneak to a higher 'rank' in an uncompetitive way.

shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:

I suppose he aimed at those coaches who exploit the glitches in the coach rating system to sneak to a higher 'rank' in an uncompetitive way.

fair enough, i can respect that....

but how does enforcing time limits fix that?

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: