66 coaches online • Server time: 22:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well - I'm all in favour of the cups being KO's too - I was merely trying to work out a way of splitting the 48 teams into 3 graded 16 team KO competitions. Byes are cool with me too!
koadah

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Racial Limits

Don't have race limits just the current Rock/Paper/Scissors but try to spread the races evenly among the divisions rather than have a 'Choas League'.

Future expansion of the league

A fringe sounds good even if it does end up being a fourth tier.
It may encourage coaches to join if they would not be putting their TR100 rookies in with TR170 killers in their first season.

With 7 divisions there should be plenty of openings for teams to join the league.

FA Cup.

Yeah go for it. We might not get 32. Some might not want to risk a massacre. Smile
Plate for low TR teams.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It may encourage coaches to join if they would not be putting their TR100 rookies in with TR170 killers in their first season.

Hmm, this was not in my idea of it. New league teams should still be new TR 100 teams, imo, otherwise it becomes a game of building up as far as possible before you join.

I don't think a 'fringe' would work anyway, tbh, but the point of it as I see it would be to ensure that more reliable coaches are recruited - eg, you can't join the league proper until you've played a 'fringe' tournament without missing a deadline.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a fair idea, missing games cause youve got 'connection issues' (as with me) or some other reason is fair enough, but a few people join and just lose interest. This isnt good for the league as a whole. Such a fringe tourney would allow for a measure of certainty of a coaches interest in the league.
Thing is, would you get enough people involved, and would said interest carry over until the leagues next season or not?

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Chewie

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

So is the fringe idea like a proving ground for the reserve list? I'm confused... (which everybody knows is not hard, but hey!) Laughing
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, waited 'til I got to work so I could give this my full attention.
Racial limits? I'd say that limiting each race to 2 per division would be an idea. The Chaos / Rat leagues we have aren't really a problem (I'm sure I'll figure out how to beat Skaven some day). Three Chaos teams in a conference might be a different story though, as would a draw of three Dwarfs against 'Zons or Lizards at any level.

If anyone is mad enough to play Ogres, bring 'em on say I Smile

FA Cup - yes please! My take on the draw here would be to have a preliminary round featuring the bottom 32 teams, i.e. the regionals plus the bottom 4 in each conference, and then bring in the other 16 for a second round of 32.
That would avoid something like a British Beauties v Monarchs 91 bloodbath in the first round at least, and give time for the playoffs too... still, this would effect the regional coaches more so I'd give their opinion more weight than mine.

Expansion - good to consider these things I guess. Maybe with a third conference, you could have 3 automatic relegation spots from the top division, and then a 4 team playoff KO between the 5th placed team and the 3 conference runners up?

And, not sure if it's a fringe thing or not, but I'd be up for a White Isle stunty tourney of some kind...

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

Hmm, this was not in my idea of it. New league teams should still be new TR 100 teams, imo, otherwise it becomes a game of building up as far as possible before you join.

Ah, OK. I was just thinking that we would have quite a few beefy teams in the Regionals by the start of next season.

unstoffe wrote:
That would avoid something like a British Beauties v Monarchs 91 bloodbath in the first round at least"

*cough* *splutter*

Maybe Dog is the new PandaPower. I was hoping to get ThorpeStar. Smile

Do we need a TR limit on the Premier Div? Does it being completely open gain us anything? Why not put on a 225 limit rather than rely on claw, MB * DP to keep teams in check.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
League structure
A 3rd conference would make it nigh impossible for lower ranked coaches like me to ever get to the top division unless there are going to be 6 teams relegated from the premier division or at least playoffs that could cause this.

Hey Cyrus, you have a higher win % than me! Smile

Actually three conferences may actually make it easier to get promoted. The Conferences are getting very tough so an extra one to thin them out a bit may help.

3 runners up + 5th from prem play off for the last place seems OK.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the aim of any coach playing in the league is to first hit the Prem, second stay in it, third win it, and fourth try and put a string of victories together. If he is lucky / good enough to get an uber team in that process, I'm not sure we should penalize him. I think natural skills like those you suggested will prevent a tr300 monster anyway, but I remain to be proven wrong. Very Happy

Chelsea (or other long-term dominant teams), however little some people like it, happen in sport. One of the worst decisions in sport that I can remember was when they changed all the F1 rules to even it up, and took away the advantages of Schumacher and his team being awesome, just because people didn't like him winning it every year. It sucked as a spectator sport before that day, and it sucked harder afterward (in my opinion, of course).

It's not the same as a Prem cap, I realize, but you see the parallel. Although, it's nice to have an Orc coach, who could conceivably coach the leagues first uber-team, make the suggestion! Very Happy
pac

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Unstoffe wrote:
Expansion - good to consider these things I guess. Maybe with a third conference, you could have 3 automatic relegation spots from the top division, and then a 4 team playoff KO between the 5th placed team and the 3 conference runners up?

This is a good thought. The games would have to be played fast to keep the gap between seasons short, but it sounds like it would be a good scrap!

Quote:
And, not sure if it's a fringe thing or not, but I'd be up for a White Isle stunty tourney of some kind...

As I've said before, if someone wants to set up a Stunty League on a similar model, and wants the White Isle 'stamp of approval' (whatever that means!), then I'm happy to give it and help out in any other way I can - short of actually running the thing! Wink

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't wait for another cup competition but definitely think it should be a straight KO, I like Unstoffe's suggestion of the premier teams and top 4 of each conference getting the byes.

Not got a clue about the best way to expand the league. Maybe just increase the number of teams in each league. For race divisions I'm happy to just let the draw stand but as has been mentioned I haven't had to play too many of the same team again and again.
Gritter

Post   Posted: May 08, 2007 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Im happy with the rules as they stand. DP's fine, stars fine, wizards.. fine.

I dont know the demand for places in WIL so talk of expansion is hard to comment on. If every division was enlarged by just 1 slot... that should create quite a lot of room though.
Having even more people get relegated could break some teams. Im thinking of the middle tier here whose teams might go from around 200TR to having to fit under TR 150.
While i am happy to cope with that YO-YO effect this season i would also like to see teams keep some stability over the seasons and having more teams drop each season wont help that.

The Cup should be a KO tourney, if the numbers dont work then the top teams from the prem should get byes in order to make it work.
You might also think about extending this to the top teams from each division.... not simply giving prem the advantage.

Not sure what advantages a fringe would offer to be honest.

I would be well up for a WIL stunty CUP/round robin! Unfortunately i dont have the time to run it though.

Regards

Grit (hoping not to have to axe half his team to get under cap if he gets relegated!)
Cyrus-Havoc

Post 10 Posted: May 08, 2007 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
League structure
A 3rd conference would make it nigh impossible for lower ranked coaches like me to ever get to the top division unless there are going to be 6 teams relegated from the premier division or at least playoffs that could cause this.

Hey Cyrus, you have a higher win % than me! Smile

Actually three conferences may actually make it easier to get promoted. The Conferences are getting very tough so an extra one to thin them out a bit may help.

3 runners up + 5th from prem play off for the last place seems OK.

Hey I am a better coach than I thought!

Having given this a bit more thought I think a 3rd Conference is the best idea so long as the 2nd placed coach gets at least a playoff chance

Post   Posted: May 09, 2007 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

If we do add another league next season I do prefer the idea of a 1-3-3 league rather than a 1-2-4.

Maybe having a Crown conference.

Not sure if it'd be better to have just the 3 top teams go up to the premier or have the 3 2nd place and 5th from the prem go into playoffs.

Post   Posted: May 09, 2007 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I still like the idea of a 3 tier cup competition that Purplegoo suggested, it would organize teams into a more even sets and allows everyone a chance rather than the majority of the regional teams being beaten in the first round. It also allows everyone to play a more even number of games where as a knock out cup would mean that some teams play many more than others.

The main problem that I see here is the risk of teams becoming too strong for their division once the cup is over and having to cut back on players to be allowed in the next season.

I have also noted a fair amount of responses to the idea of a stunty division. If there is real interest then I would be happy to step in and help organise one. I ask you all now if this is worth a new thread to discuss as it is not strictly to do with the future of the White Isles regular league.
 Jump to: