27 coaches online • Server time: 09:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cooperman

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

does anyone else find it anyyoing when opponents who have obviously been playing for ages enter teams in the academy!!!
They thrash you good and proper and all that you come out of the game with is the desire to quit playing.
I just played someone (in the academy) who was a far superior player and used STAR players against me?!?!
Completely pointless...I'm sure he feels proud of his win
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, it is the same person who entered my goblin league, conceded after some bad dice and retired his team?

Well, there are some old coaches who will help you in the academy (setting up the game to playing tips) and there are others who cant better than trash some noobs... poor but true
peke

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Think of it as a lesson, that's what the Academy is for anyways. There are much worse people stalking newbies in ranked, but atleast in academy you still have your helmet on.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't call him a superior coach though. He had the better team. Find someone with a team with more equal Team Rating and Team Strength.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

try finding games in #FumbblAcademy rather than gamefinder. If someone tries to chickenhawk you, someone else might alert you before you connect.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

chickenhawk? cool term. what does it mean?

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Means swooping down and attacking something smaller and weaker. In this case it means taking advantage of the new people coming to Fumbbl.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Translation from the original Meech-ian:

It's sort of cherry picking, but in [A]...Very Happy
Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It is sorta worse than cherrypicking. There is literally no point in it.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech - and the point of cherry picking is....
Only difference i can see is that one affects CR, and one doesn't. <b>Lots</b> of new guys dive straight into [R], and because this in [A] it's bad, but if it happens in [R] then at least there is a reason for it?
I don't see the logic myself mate.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie and Meech covered the definition rather well. It's a type of cherrypicking.

chickenhawk is a type of hawk that swoops down and carries off small prey. Sometimes it'll attack pets, namely...chickens. It is also used to describe a gay man to sexually preys upon very young boys. I use it to describe someone who preys upon those still learning or consistently wants to play games where his team is vastly bashier than his opponents.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally don't agree with cherrypicking, but I can see the rational (building for majors,High CR, your name is Bu... nm). I am sure you can see the logic if you tried. Don't have to like it. I am a big believer in letting people do what they want to in ranked as long as they don't break the rules. I would like to think Academy is a place for people new to BB or even Fumbbl can go to learn.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I killed a newbie the other day, but he challenged me.... Sad

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I can see why some people do it. You win. There's no effort needed, and you don't get any feelings of accomplishment, but I guess that's enough for some people.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2007 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno. I was coached (and beaten) by guys who'd clearly played there a bit - but I was greatful. Otherwise, everyone is a rookie and nobody has a clue what's going on. I think if you're up front about it, it's okay - you know, "willing to help newbies". But folks who play there for sneaky easy games - I think there's a level of hell for that...
 Jump to: