40 coaches online • Server time: 15:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2007 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

As many of you will have noticed before, there are many parts of the User Guide which need updating. On this occasion, I'm looking at the Strategies section, the race-specific strategies and in particular the recommended Starting Rosters for each race. In many cases, I'm not sure that the roster most experienced coaches would use is listed at all.

And some of the listings are just old. For example, under Undead two of the suggestions include 4 Wights (ie, pre-LRB 4) - and both of the other two acknowledge that they are quite risky (relying on Ghouls and … Skeletons (!?)). So there is no 'conventional' option given which can be used under our current rules set.

So, if you think you can add anything useful to these pages, please go ahead and edit them and add your own preferred set-up(s). You don't need to consider yourself to be a 'guru' of that race - just have an opinion and include your nick and the reason for that opinion. (Also, make absolutely sure you've got your maths right and that that set-up is possible!)

Once we have some more complete and more up-to-date information in these sections, we can also consider reformatting them to a consistent style. This is one of the first places that any new coach (at least, any of those rare new coaches who actually look at the User Guide Wink) will go, so it would be good if it was more accurate and authoritative.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2007 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought adding nicks to the user guide was a no-no?

I'll see what I can add tonight.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2007 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:

Actually, this is another thing the guide isn't consistent on. Smile

Some strategy guide sections never mention any nicks, others include a nick with every suggestion …
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2007 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I redo the vamp section? I'd like to give Dreadclaws alternative strategy a bit more than a brief mention. Also would like to add some of my own tactical thoughts.

There's no deadline for corrections is there?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2007 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:

I'm so out of the loop it's silly, but consider this my completely unofficial, personal opinion:

Signing your own stuff is fine. Some people prefer to do so, some don't. In my own observations, people are generally less likely to alter something that's signed, so if you have something you basically want left intact, you can sign it. If you want to put up something that's open for anyone to work with, then leaving it unsigned is sort of a silent invitation to do so. Or not, as you see fit.

Note that this is by no means a rule of etiquette or the administration: It is simply an observation on human nature. Might as well let psychology work in your favor rather than against you, right?

SillySod wrote:
There's no deadline for corrections is there?

Nope. The User Guide is a living document and is (in theory, at least) perpetually under revision and refinement. The point of a journey is not to arrive, as my pal Neil once wrote.

And thanks for bringing this up, Pac.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to Plorg for adding his line-ups to the Undead page.

I have chipped in myself - on a slightly different tack from starting rosters - by adding a section on scoring with Saurus to the Lizardman strategy page. As far as I know, this is an approach perfected and popularised on FUMBBL, so it seemed an oversight that the strategy guide didn't mention it at all!

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Thanks to Plorg for adding his line-ups to the Undead page.

I have chipped in myself - on a slightly different tack from starting rosters - by adding a section on scoring with Saurus to the Lizardman strategy page. As far as I know, this is an approach perfected and popularised on FUMBBL, so it seemed an oversight that the strategy guide didn't mention it at all!

And to imagine that I could at least have sought salvation from that vile abomination that is relying on saurus scoring in the User Guide till you defiled it's virgin shores with it. Non the less - excellent effort on your part pac (putting in motion an update of the User Guide, not the saurus-scoring part that is Wink).
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
And to imagine that I could at least have sought salvation from that vile abomination that is relying on saurus scoring in the User Guide till you defiled it's virgin shores with it. Non the less - excellent effort on your part pac (putting in motion an update of the User Guide, not the saurus-scoring part that is Wink).

I didn't realise Saurus-scoring was so established on FUMBBL that a faction had developed that was aggressively against it! Very Happy
Optihut

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
RedFish wrote:

I didn't realise Saurus-scoring was so established on FUMBBL that a faction had developed that was aggressively against it! Very Happy

It's not a faction, it's just Redfish vs myself, really Wink
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
pac wrote:

But your Lizard team's top scorer is a Saurus!
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Optihut wrote:
pac wrote:

But your Lizard team's top scorer is a Saurus!

Well, in all fairness, he didn't say Redfish was doing a good job of it....

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 06:04 Reply with quote Back to top

1. great idea
2. so you can score with lizardmen? I thougth it was prohibited... may be it's lbr5 rules
3. some of those listings are quite chaos-flavored (really messed) imho, some tidding up would be an improvement... so again great idea
Laviak

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have gone through the Lizardmen lineups to give some extra explanation as to why you might choose one lineup (rather than 'i used: <insert lineup here>). I'm certainly not a lizardmen guru, so feel free to improve on it as you see fit.

LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

a cpl of weeks ago i added a DE lineup that worked a treat for me, its got 3 positionals with 1 reroll and 9ff. the extra skill rerolls (pass and dodge) i found out-classed having an extra 1 reroll for the beginning. all i did was hold the 1 team reroll back unless it was absolutely essential for me to score...

my team with this build is thriving, so im more than happy w it... a big riske, but works a treat

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Laviak

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2007 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I was about to update the halfling setup page, as ogres are no longer permitted on halfling teams ... but then I realised that they *are* permitted in Stunty Leeg.

Both really need to be covered. The could be put as separate sections on the same page, but what I'm thinking it that it's better to split it into two separate pages (linked of course). What do you guys reckon is better?

Jump to: