39 coaches online • Server time: 16:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I have just put together my first team to use in the Academy. I am playing a Dark Elf team and went with 9 Linesmen, 1 Witch Elf, 1 Blitzer and 1 Thrower. This left me enough money to buy 2 Fan Factor and 1 Reroll.

Now that I'm thinking about it, should I have stuck with just 11 players and bought the second reroll, seeing as it will now cost me $100k to buy after my first game?

I'm just trying to figure out my mistakes now so that when I enter the Ranked league I don't shoot myself in the foot before I even play a game!

Olaf the Stout
Gritter

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Start with more than 2 FF to develop your team through winnings. Many players will not play teams with less than 7 FF due to the poor winnings rolls it produces.
That means less positional players. The thrower is definitely not needed since you will want to skill your linemen by using them to pass.

Did you not buy an apoth?

I will let someone else suggest the best starting lineup, but personally i would go all lineman and as much FF/rerolls as that will buy me.
Paragon

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Gritter makes some good suggestions. It's important to have high FF.

I think you'll find this link helpful as a starting coach on FUMBBL. From there, you'll find a range of tips, including advice on starting Dark Elf rosters.
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Paragon wrote:
Gritter makes some good suggestions. It's important to have high FF.

I think you'll find this link helpful as a starting coach on FUMBBL. From there, you'll find a range of tips, including advice on starting Dark Elf rosters.

Yeah, I'm looking at the advice there at the moment. I can understand not having a Thrower in the team, but why would I not want to start with a Blitzer or Witch Elf? Wouldn't that give me an advantage and help me win the first few games?

Also, is it better to have 12 players to begin with or 11 + an Apocothary and/or increased FF/Rerolls?

How many Rerolls to people normally start with?

Olaf the Stout
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:43 Reply with quote Back to top

IMHO starting with a blitzer or two helps, but the witch elf's low armour make her more of a target then anything.
11 players and an apo is better then 12 players.
I like to start teams with as many rr' s as possible, on elf teams this usually means 2 or 3 rr's.
FF should be at least 7, I like to start at 9.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The 11 Lineman team is quite hard for a new player to use.

You could go for:
9 linemen
2 Blitzers
2 re-rolls
7 Fan Factor.

That gives you some good players but still decent fan factor and 2 re-rolls.

High Fan Factor helps you get games, a lot of people will refuse to play you otherwise. If you are only going to play a few games with the team then you don't actually need it to be that high, and if you can gamble on winning and causing the 2 cas and TD's per game then it can end up higher than a team that started with 9 and lost a lot.

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I rarely if ever start with an apot on my team, gambling on coming through the first game without any permanent injuries. After that I can buy one with the winnings I receive, if not after the first, then at least after the second game. Spend those 50k on FF instead I say.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
unx

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkies if I remember I went for 8FF, 3RR and all linos. Ball handling is not much an issue, and the all lino lets you skill them before the position players horde all the spps. Survive your first game and get an apoth for the second. Aim for a witch by maybe the 4th 5th game.

Starting teams with no position players, no apoth can be brutal and makes you play a very different dodge out / low block game, but in the long run, the higher ff and rerolls and skilled linos really pays off. Just need to get through those first few games.

If you do start with a position player, a blitzer for the block might be more valuable then a witch first up.

11 players is also enough to start with.

edit: i spell gooods

Last edited by unx on Aug 29, 2007 - 08:55; edited 2 times in total
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

well, a warning here... if u havent played in a while, you will find playing with elves veeeery difficult indeed...

i put up the 1 blitzer, 1 WE, 1 thrower, 8 linemen build for DEs, so i'll explain the reasons why:

after 1 match, even if u take a serious casualty 1st match, you have enough winnings to buy an apothecary, and second game a new player or a second reroll... if you go with one of those 11-12 linemen builds, this is what happens to the average coach's team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=318896

they look impressive till you notice that it is 1 blitzer, 1 WE, record: 1/1/9... you cant play with them...

this is what happens when you start with 1 blitzer, 10 linemen, fan factor 5, 2 rerolls: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=129762

you need to win games to increase that FF to make the winnings to replace players... this team only played well over 180, and by the time they started doing well too many niggles had accumulated, and the team was beyond my abilities to save. notice again that the FF was unrecoverable...

and, this is what happened with the WE, Blitzer, Thrower, 1 reroll build:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=359658

they still have a losing record, but they have the ability to score, dodge on the WE turned out to be worth 3-4 rerolls in the game, and your opponent will always focus on taking down your positionals... with this build you will always have 1 positional left on the pitch who will be able to change the course of the game... also notice how the FF is 10 here. despite having a losing record, the TDs you are able to score with a blitzer/WE/Thrower combo means u can frequently score 2 tds in the game, giving u a fair chance at keeping the same FF...

and, the most important thing i learnt, 1st skill Dodge. block looks tempting, but you cant score as easily with block... minimum 2 dodges on a starting team's linemen...

so, i'd propose my 1 blitzer, 1 WE, 1 thrower build, 1 reroll <i>(only used for scoring, not for blocks, double skulls costs you a turnover, so what, the reroll to score will keep your FF in tact n will enable allow u to build faster)</i> and you buy an apothecary 1st match, a reroll 2nd-3rd match, replace a missing lineman if low income, or 2 blitzers consecutively. then buy 2 more rerolls, and by this time you will have 150 TR, 4 rerolls, 3 blitzers, 1 WE, 1 thrower, and preferably 13 players (yeah, some linemen will die/be retired). your initial positionals will all have gotten at least 1 skill, as will 2-3 linemen by now... and your DE team plays quite well...

all other builds seem to need TR180 before they play smoothly

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Khaan

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

A block-less frenzy player like the witchelf quickly becomes a reroll eating turnover machine. Especially if you are unacquainted with correct positioning for assists. Couple that with her low armor and it's just not a good starting player.

Having one player with block to take your crucial blitzes is good. That means you'll fail your blitzes on 1/36 instead of 3/36.

I would suggest:
10 linos
1 blitzer
9 ff
2 rerolls
10k spare cash

buy apo after first match.

Try to get a pass in with each lino asap so that they skill on the mvp award.

The Boyz
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah well... a blockless WE is to be used primarily for scoring TDs, as she has dodge, remember??? 2 tds and she has block, and then u can frenzy till your heart is content...

tried your build and it didnt work for me... not saying its wrong, but didnt work... well, tell a lie, it worked for 1 team and failed for another 4... here's the one where it did work: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=129171

and the only reason it worked is because i got two 5ag linemen early in the development of the team, and just as one RIPed, a Blitzer got 5ag... so this is the 5ag insane scoring team

anyway, i'd propose you experiment with my build before shooting it down, you'll be impressed... you'll see...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
RC

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you are playing in Academy instead of R it is ok to play with low FF since you are there to learn the client and not to build an uber team.

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

main problem for me starting with a witch is the jump up/av7 is a sign that just reads foul me please. Way too expensive a risk with no apo or skilled linos for support

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Max fan factor, all lino's so they have skillz when you start buying positionals, fan factor 9 to get to said positionals faster (and opponents are easier to find with high FF), an apoth (maybe wait till 2nd game), and at least 2 rr's. Go for a RR over the apoth, as you can buy the apoth for the same cost after 1st game (cause you made all that mad cash off FF9).

You should find that buying positionals later means that you get good skill distribution for your players, rather than having positionals with 5 skills each and linos with nothing. Example of all lino starting and skill distribution these guys started with Beastmen, and then got nasty. Also try not to be tempted by big guys, they do more damage than good to your record.

Re-rolls are your hardest descision, as for every other part of the roster you can put off until later cause it all costs the same. However re-rolls are twice as much later. Re-rolls are the only thing that i have to consider when i build a new team, cause i mostly follow the above blue print.

There will be a whole heap of people that will say "FF isn't that important...".
To an extent thats true, but only if you plan to delete the team after 1st game..

Usually pays to check the CR of people you are taking this sort of advice from too ;-p

Last edited by Wizard on Aug 29, 2007 - 10:15; edited 4 times in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2007 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Normally with av8 Elves, I'd say go all Linos, 3RR and 8FF. However, this is your first team, in [A], so I think it's more important you just get experience of the client, and get some matches played. Team build isn't <i>as</i> vital at this stage.

When you progress to the other divisions, I recommend the fine link Paragon posted.
 Jump to: