73 coaches online • Server time: 23:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Too weak or too strong? (I'm hoping for "just right")
Too Strong
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Too Weak
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Just Right - You are my new idol
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
I hate your team, the fluff is wrong. I don't even like your avatar.
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 33

SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2007 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

This is an idea posted in a previous thread, however I didn't get much criticism or many comments (it was a dying thread already) and I would like to try and further the team. here it is.

Team created in the big melting pot that was this thread: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11710

Original pie wagon idea: LordSnotball
Special mention: Pirog, johan, Piekko, CraftnBurn

Hungry Hungry Halflings

The Fluff:

I spent nearly two hours writing some superb fluff. My computer disconnected and I lost the lot (it was pretty devastating). I'll try and restore it ASAP so do check out this thread again in two/three days if you don't think the team feels right fluff wise. Just to get the team a little exposure to criticism before a poll (for both fluff and balance) I'm releasing it today.

The Team:

It's based around the pie cauldron theme which will make it a team that is very centralised and potentialy very static. This is intentional and it is the coaches task to decide how best to manage the team without it falling to bits.

1-2 Piemobile/Cauldron 200k (first free, compulsary)
Adds a chef re-roll (i.e. the first one adds the chef, the second adds an ingredient, only way to get an ingredient for the team)
Mv 3 St 1 Ag 4 Av 11
Iron man, Thrall, Stand Firm, Jump up, Big guy, Stunty, Right Stuff, Dodge, Break tackle (to ignore diving tackle), No hands
(i.e. it effectively ignores tackle zones rather than dodging, 2+'s with re-rolls and it dosent fall over if it fails)
This has it's SPP's reset to 0 after every game (pie wagon's don't really get experience) - if this is not implemented then they have no skill access... they rely on doubles should they ever get enough SPPs to skill up.

0-16 Hungry Halflings 20k
Mv 5 St 2 Ag 3 Av 6
Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sprint, OFAB (A)

0-2 Oddfellows 40k
Mv 5 St 2 Ag 3 Av 6
Dodge, Stunty, Right stuff (A)

0-2 Hot Pots (halfling catapults) 70k
Mv 3 St 2 Ag 1 Av 8
OFAB (in case they need a refil), Bombs, Strong arm, Safe Throw (P)

0-2 Hungry Ogres 110k
Mv 5 St 5 Ag 2 Av 8
Break Tackle, TTM, OFAB, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Big Guy (S)

0-4 Pro Halflings 70k
Mv 5 St 2 Ag 3 Av 6
Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sure Hands, Kick, Strip ball (SAP)

Re-rolls - 50k
Apoth - Yes
Wiz - No (masterchef, see above)

Your thoughts?

Note the Pie Wagons can be thrown.

PS the prices are pretty vague, can be tampered with alot. I am willing to make significant changes to the team if it is needed.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %03, %2007 - %14:%Oct; edited 5 times in total
mitzufuss

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2007 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

SO the flings/orges are hungry and keep running to the wagon to stock up on pie... and the wagons with iron man never get hurt... sounds fun.

with all the OFAB it would require a fair amount of thought to get the wagons into postion, even with TTM they are very slow...

Looks like a fun in a choatic sort of way team to play, although I think it would get old fast.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I loved this idea when it was convieved and hope that some version of hungry hungry halflings are implemented since it's just so original, but I have some questions regarding this one.

It takes a bit of new programming from what I understand. Have you asked if this is possible? Resetting the SPP to 0 is one thing, the cauldron's adding chef and ingredients is another.

And is it possible to throw bombs with Hail Mary Pass? If it's possible I love it, but I fear it might not be.

I also don't understand the point of the Oddfellows, but you did mention that you had lost your fluff.

I also thing the Hungry Ogres should be Boneheaded.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

But where is the Waffle Wagon?

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You could just make the wagons 'stars' that cost 0 to hire, and that way they wouldn't gain spp's at all without any fiddling.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
You could just make the wagons 'stars' that cost 0 to hire, and that way they wouldn't gain spp's at all without any fiddling.

Nice idea. the problem is that I want the first to be free but the second to be very expensive. The second one would have to be bought as a positional rather than a freebooter I'm afraid (though it could be done I guess). I think the second wagon might be prohibitive in cost to have to regularly freeboot on a team. Of course, the SPP issue CAN be ignored since they are unlikely to gain star player points anyway (give em P access). I'd just prefer it if they didn't gain any at all.

I don't see too much problem coding the chef (I may be wrong). I think you'd just give a team with two wagons a marker. At the end of each game (or whenever the roster is updated) it would automaticly update the roster to display a single wizard.

Kyyberi - I would have of course prefered a pancake wagon... but the PIE! team did win the battle so I think they may be credited with the invention.

Edit: i will add the names of the coaches who made a significant contribution to the pie wagon theme

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

How about just not giving the cauldrons ANY skill access?

Sure, they could take skills on doubles, but I doubt that would be broken.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2007 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

runreallyfast wrote:
How about just not giving the cauldrons ANY skill access?

Sure, they could take skills on doubles, but I doubt that would be broken.

Fair enough, P access is pretty useless on a no hands, no bombs, no TTM player though

Edit: the hot pot has been fixed too, it is meant to be good at hurling bombs a good distance safely (few fumbles, few interceptions) but not accurately (low AG) This should also help discourage short throws that might scatter backwards.
The hot pot can be skilled in: accurate (so you can throw long bombs and only fumble on a 1, effectively a range extension) and pass (to make that fumble less likely, players that re-roll the throw in the hope of making it accurate will be sealing their own graves)

freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Nice idea. the problem is that I want the first to be free but the second to be very expensive. The second one would have to be bought as a positional rather than a freebooter I'm afraid (though it could be done I guess). I think the second wagon might be prohibitive in cost to have to regularly freeboot on a team. Of course, the SPP issue CAN be ignored since they are unlikely to gain star player points anyway (give em P access). I'd just prefer it if they didn't gain any at all.

Edit: i will add the names of the coaches who made a significant contribution to the pie wagon theme

Ok make 2 names for the Wagons, one could be a star available at 0 cost. The other could be a freebooter available at a set price. Obviously if Christer can make the site reset they points to 0 then just ignore this, i am just trying to think of workable ways around it.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, because the problem isn't really solved by giving the wagons access to lousy skills. They will still rise in value and effect the TR.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2007 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep... woot, drunken posting. keep up the support guys

Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2007 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sod, I really like your idea, but I’m worried that the above roster might be overly complex and not very balanced or competitive. Taking some of the ideas I've seen put forth in the threads, and doing as a little streamlining, I'd like to offer you an alternate roster for consideration.

**Roster removed and updated in a later entry**

Last edited by Craftnburn on %b %30, %2007 - %08:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2007 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you allow two of the same star? Because I think this team will desperately need both Wagons to function.

If Stars are automatically limited to one of each, you should probably have a third type of star wagon, also free, and somehow limit the team to a maximum of two.

Also, you could give the Hot Pot TTM - sure, it fires pots normally, but hobbits are about the same size and shape ... Very Happy
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2007 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
Can you allow two of the same star? Because I think this team will desperately need both Wagons to function.

I'm not so sure, the added mobility of this version of the Wagon makes it more likely to be in the right place when the OFAB does fail. And remember the wagon never goes off no matter how many are eating, so if 3 or 4 fail, there's still enough food for everyone!

johan wrote:
If Stars are automatically limited to one of each, you should probably have a third type of star wagon, also free, and somehow limit the team to a maximum of two.

Yes I believe that Stars are 1 only.

johan wrote:
Also, you could give the Hot Pot TTM - sure, it fires pots normally, but hobbits are about the same size and shape ... Very Happy

Thought about it.. but since the Hot Pot is full of boiling soup, I didn't think any halfling would want to climb inside. (and 4 TTM players is too many)
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2007 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem isn't necessarily the chomping on the wagon, but actually getting there in the first place, through DT and everything.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: