56 coaches online • Server time: 19:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to decide whether I should pick up a Black Orc or Ogre for my Orc team;

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=32051

This is somewhat of a finesse team for orcs. I generally run a patient open cage with a potential receiver running down the field as a second target - especially my goblin "catcher"

So here are the bonues as I see them;

Ogre
+1 ST
+1 AV
+1 MA (Minor)
Mighy Blow
Thick Skull
Throw teammate (minor)

Orc Blocker
+40K
No Bonehead (major)
No Big Guy

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
MixX

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well there's no +AV for an ogre, it's 9 just like the Black Orc..
Jugular

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say blocker cause he'll take longer to gain SPP
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice team. 2.5 TDs and 3.5 CAS/game with a 4/1/1 record means you're doing something right.

Some things to consider:
- The Troll is a viable addition to the team as well. Not as good as the Ogre, but cheaper and just as good if you just use him as an anchor on the line or as a corner on your cage/screen.
- TTM gives you a chance, however small, at that desperate turn 8 winning 1 turn TD. Even if you don't use it, the threat will often keep the defense back enough to help your cage start rolling.
- You only have 3 free spots on your roster and you have 3 positional players, 3 gobbos and a big guy to fill those positions. You may end up having to dump some linemen if you want them all.
- The cash left over from a BOB puts you more than halfway to your second thrower. IMHO, you need 2 MA:5, Sure Hands players to help cover the kickoff immensely. Otherwise a lucky kick might put you in the unenviable positon of having to snag the ball on a 3+ without a RR.

My advice? Go with a BOB, Thrower, Ogre/Troll (depending largely upon your cash flow) for now and consider sacking a lineman or two (or more, if they get injured) for the other BOB and a second Gobbo. Look out for bloated TR, which means you'll be playing tougher teams just because you have linemen sitting in reserves.

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

A point in favor of ogre/troll is that they can lock up minos/ratogres in WildAnimal traps very easily. Might not seem like a big advantage, but when you think of it, norse/chaos/skaven are the bashy teams that compete with orcs up at the rough boys top, and all these teams normally employ wild animals. Being able to force turnovers AND not have to get stampeded by that PO/RSC ratogre/mino is, in my book, a very nice plus.
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Khaan wrote:
A point in favor of ogre/troll is that they can lock up minos/ratogres in WildAnimal traps very easily.

Actually I found a bug, I think, in Java BB in relation to this.

My other chaos team has an Ogre, and I was playing a team with a Minotaur.

So, of course I had my Ogre...and no one else - next to his Mino. I figure he has a 1/3 chance of a turn over (skull or skull/pow).

Well, I got a Bonehead roll on my Ogre doing something else. My opponent's turn comes up and he just moves the Minotaur elsewhere. My reading of the rules is he should have had to block my Ogre, Bonehead or not, right?

This does lower the value of a Wild Animal trap somewhat to my mind...
Delta

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure about the rules, but it may have something to do with no tackle zones being exerted on the mino.
romolus

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mmmm moving away from the mino isn't right the lrb states that the wa must throw a block at an adjacent player.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the ogre issue would be a bug, and I imagine it was caused by his lack of tackle zones. You should report it using bugzilla.

The Finishing Touch
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr-Klipp wrote:
Yes, the ogre issue would be a bug, and I imagine it was caused by his lack of tackle zones. You should report it using bugzilla.

Yep, already reported:

http://bugs.fumbbl.com/show_bug.cgi?id=135
Jugular

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse against Orcs ....no match....... look here : Smile http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=28807
Jugular

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

oops i meant to link the game not the team :S http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=130370
 Jump to: