41 coaches online • Server time: 09:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Antonio

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2007 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe this is well-known to anyone...but...
Is your name related to Macavity "the mystery cat" of T.S.Eliot book Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (and A.L.Webber musical Cats)?

And, if it's related, how can coexist your yellow fish status with a cat name?

Antonio
Leniyuhl

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2007 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac: how can I stop my noobletty behaviour and become as radiant as you?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2007 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Antonio: It is directly related to Eliot's poem, nothing to do with hack musicals, though. Why a Fish for a cat name? It's a Mystery!

Leniyuhl: Forums or gaming?

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2007 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

mac: cant you help with both?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2007 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly. To post like me, treat every general, off-topic, suggestion or question post (not tournament ones, interupting them is rude), as if it was addressed to you personally by a friend you are having a pint with. Respond with bad humour, false modesty, or useful information as it strikes you at the time.

To play like me, choose teams for either their oddness (race or player choice), or simply because they have a better chance of getting on the top ten lists, and play your best, assume almost any lose is due to beign out-played, rather than luck, and always play in a highly distracted envirnment (while playing chess, feeding a baby, and watchign football on TV, for instance).

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2007 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well thanx. Im quite sure that being macavity is only for macavity, but treating every loss as a loss by skill is something that I need to learn. If you ever find me in a bar Ill buy you a pint.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, one pint is a start. Are there no more questions? I thought I was fascinating.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Why did you think you were fascinating?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
ChangoLoco

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity-

I've heard that you don't care for hockey - can you please explain why an otherwise reasonable and insightful man such as yourself would hold such an opinion?

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sillysod. I have amused countless numbers of Junior High aged students with stories of my life, and had them ask for more.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Changoloco: The truth is, I don't mind hockey, I just hate the NHL. I'll watch the World Juniors, and the Olympics. Why do I hate the NHL? One minor and one major reason.

Minor: I really don't like the fighting. It's annoying, stupid, dangerous, and takes away fro mthe skill of the game.

Major: Season is too bloody long (see: why Macavity hates Baseball and Basketball)!!!! How can I care about the result of a single game until the play-offs? I am a football fan. That's 16 games in the NFL, 18 in the CFL, you loose to a division opponent, it makes a big difference. In hockey, having a 4 game losing streak might just be because you decided to rest all your good players for a bit, since these games don't matter. AND they want to lengthen the season!!!!!!!!

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I am impressed by your ability to continue to have well reasoned and insightful opinions - how do you manage to do that?

[quote="Macavity"]Changoloco: The truth is, I don't mind hockey,

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2007 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

During most of my formative years, my father was a philosophy professor; my primary role model outside of the family was a gentleman 7 years my senior who is now employed as a professor teaching conflict resolution and international development and awareness.

So.... I came by it honestly! Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2007 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
...Major: Season is too bloody long (see: why Macavity hates Baseball and Basketball)!!!! How can I care about the result of a single game until the play-offs? I am a football fan. That's 16 games in the NFL, 18 in the CFL, you loose to a division opponent, it makes a big difference. In hockey, having a 4 game losing streak might just be because you decided to rest all your good players for a bit, since these games don't matter. AND they want to lengthen the season!!!!!!!!

I agree entirely and was making this exact point to an otherwise wonderful coworker who has the misfortune of being a diehard baseball fan. I was trying to explain that I'm not exactly a man without nuance but I find it far more exciting to watch a sport where individual games have an actual impact on the outcome of the season. I ended my point with, "Baseball is a game of reliability, consistency and other very nice but terribly dull virtues. How can you possibly call that exciting?"

Her response nearly made me fall over laughing in the middle of the street. "You see, baseball isn't about excitement. It's about the anticipation of excitement."

---

So, to stay on topic, here's my question:

Have you ever gotten a comically lame excuse when arguing with a fan of a lesser spectator sport?

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2007 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Does Arena football count? Razz

I'm afraid nothing actually comic, no. Though I suppose being tols to watch hockey ONLY for the fights comes close.....