76 coaches online • Server time: 22:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2007 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The innkeeper had collapsed dead, without a mark on him. He had been old and infirm, with a family history of heart trouble.

So, clearly this was the work of ninjas.

'I knew this would happen. Ninja clans never forget!'

'That's right. 100 years ago, my grandfather was out hunting and accidentally hit a trainee ninja who was out practising his hiding.'

'The next day a single yellow rose was found in the village square.'

'And everyone knows that's the ninjas' symbol of vengeance!'

'Of course.'

'So now the day has come. They'll wipe out every one of us, then burn the village and let the forest grow over it.'

'What can we do?'

'Well, ninjas are proud creatures. It would be beneath them to kill us all at once. They'll eliminate one each night. And they'll be hiding among us already, to test and prove their ability to become one with their environment and their prey.'

'You seem to know an awful lot about ninjas …'

'Actually, there's a funny story there …'

'Enough about that. If he's right, this means there are ninjas here right now. If we strike during the day, we'll outnumber any one ninja and the others would be too proud to help him - he wouldn't deserve their help since his hiding had failed! Maybe we can kill them first!'

'Couldn't we just run?'

'Don't be silly. Ninjas have no mercy on those who try to flee.'

'But how will we decide who to kill?'

'Simple: we vote on it.'

'Democracy? Don't you know what they say: "Whoever you vote for, the bastards always win"?'

'He's got a point. If we all get to vote, the ninjas will vote too. They might work together, control it all. It's no good doing their work for them.'

'We're doomed!'

'Not if we take a chance.' It was the gambler. 'Everyone votes, yes. But after that it will be a lottery. We take everyone's vote, pick one at random and that's the guy we kill. Even if the ninjas were to fool all of us but one, get them all voting the same way, if we're lucky, if we pick out the vote of the one guy who saw the truth, we'll still have a chance.'

There was silence as this was considered.

'But …'

'Hang on there …'

'… no sense at all …'

'… just won't work!'

And yet - somehow - the gambler's notion carried the day: everyone swore to abide by the results of the lottery until the ninjas' reign of terror was over.

… It didn't occur to anyone to wonder if the lottery idea itself had been the ninjas' idea.

--

As the above fluff suggests, this will work much like a vanilla Werewolf game (but with ninjas). The twist will be that - when the votes are in - the vote winner will be chosen by lot instead of by the majority. (Votes will still be declared in the thread (not secret).)

So, if there were 6 votes from 12 for Meech, 4 votes for Plorg and 2 for SillySod, Meech would have a 1/2 chance of being picked, Plorg 1/3 and SS 1/6.

There will be no villager positionals.

However, some villagers will have the ability, once, to rig the lottery, which works as follows:

• Whoever the villager names in a PM to me will automatically be picked out of the hat (this has to be a person who was voted for, but does not have to be the person they voted for);

• However, if more than one villager attempts to rig the draw, their efforts impede one another and the lottery will happen as normal, at random (this still uses up the one-time-only ability to attempt to rig the draw for all who tried);

• When the victim is announced, there will be no indication in the thread as to whether he was picked randomly or by a rigged draw;

• The ninjas' code of honour prevents any of them from ever rigging the vote. However (like most evil factions) they do kill off one villager per night as usual (in what appear - in a vain effort to fool the clear-sighted villagers - to be accidents);

• No one will know how many villagers have the ability to rig the draw. If a villager declares that he has the ability to rig the draw, he will lose it (as people will keep a closer eye on him). However, theoretical discussion about the possibility is entirely permitted for everyone. (So, a plan for the use of rigging could be discussed, but as soon as someone says, 'That's great, I'll do it!' they can't.)

4 Ninjas
11 Villagers

The Living:

AoP-Vimes --> void --> void --> spiggle --> Gatts
Chewie --> spiggle --> erzkanzler --> spiggle --> Meech
Kryten --> no vote --> DukeTyrion --> SillySod --> spiggle
Meech --> Irgy --> erzkanzler --> spiggle --> Walks_in_the_Sun
Plorg --> no vote --> spiggle --> AoP-Vimes --> AoP-Vimes
shadow46x2 --> no vote --> AoP-Vimes --> SillySod --> Gatts
Walks_in_the_Sun --> erzkanzler --> SillySod --> spiggle --> AoP-Vimes

The Dead:
DukeTyrion --> Kryten --> erzkanzler --> SillySod --> [RIP]
erzkanzler --> Gatts --> Xenon --> [RIP]
Gatts --> Irgy --> DukeTyrion --> DukeTyrion --> Walks_in_the_Sun --> [RIP]
Irgy --> no vote --> [RIP]
SillySod --> no vote --> erzkanzler --> Kryten --> [RIP]
spiggle --> erzkanzler --> erzkanzler --> SillySod --> Walks_in_the_Sun --> [RIP]
TheSpoonyBard --> Walks_in_the_Sun --> [RIP]
Xenon --> no vote --> shadow46x2 --> [RIP]

History:

Day 1: Irgy was killed by lottery.
Night 1: TheSpoonyBard was killed by ninjas.
Day 2: Xenon was killed by lottery.
Night 2: erzkanzler was killed by ninjas.
Day 3: SillySod was killed by lottery.
Night 3: DukeTyrion was killed by ninjas.
Day 4: Gatts was killed by lottery.
Night 4: spiggle was killed by ninjas.

Last edited by pac on %b %23, %2007 - %01:%Dec; edited 23 times in total
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2007 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Signup Plorg

Last edited by Plorg on %b %16, %2007 - %23:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Xenon

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2007 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>Signup Xenon</b>
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2007 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

signup shadow

ImageImage
Chewie

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2007 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>Signup Chewie</b>
spiggle

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

signup spiggle

Get Orcs Out of Faction.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Signup Walks_in_the_Sun
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Signup SillySod

Though I expect to be less active than normal, I'm sure I'll still post more than enough.

Why not give the Ninja's a chance to rig the vote too? Twisted Evil Seems like something they'ed be good at. Could the vote rigging just not be simulated by givving the vote rigger an extra 5 votes or something so multiple rigging works well (but not garunteed)?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
erzkanzler

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac, I would like to comment on your balance. And signup

I like the rigging, but I would like to suggest an alternative to your ruling. I find rules that require a censorship on posts to be less fortnunate than those that have mechanics balancing mass claim. Mass claim is effectively the core problem with this scenario and even with your threat of pending doom there are workarounds, since every body knows of the possibility. More importantly, I feel that a creative use of the vote rig could set the game apart from standard no rule vanilla and be quite effective in offsetting the lack of power roles. So instead of intransparent decision making and restrictions on posting, I would suggest tweaking the rigging mechanics.

a) Have rigging opening up a second ballot, rather than nullifying each other, now the rigged votes get a 100%, 50%, 33%, 25% etc. depending on the number of rigged votees entered (need I rephrase that?) with one out of the rigged votes now burning instead of the regular voted targets. Rig PMs are final and cannot be changed, once sent. This makes "roleclaiming" viable for the Ninjas. If some one openly admits to rigging a vote, the Ninjas can claim they have rigged too. If some one else rigged beforehand, the claim is already jeopardized. Being right about predicting a burn target no longer gives you 100% certainty of villagers. Mass claim is more risky, but still possible, so more tweaking is necessary.

b) give Ninjas the option to counter rigged votes. Plain and simple. Some one claims, they exercise their power to nullify the rig that night. Rig fails, claim fails. Each ninja gets one rig-counter. This alone might easily dissuade mass claim, depending on the number of players. Each claim costs a life after all, taking the villagers down by 8 (4 votes, 4 kills) unless they target a ninja by chance, before the mass claim starts to work. And then they still have to target right!

The above rules allow for much more creative use of the only power available. Ninjas can waste their counters on false claims, have to weigh wasting them on no claims, less secure claims are still possible ("if you kept your manipulating hands to yourself, SillySod will die") Ninjas can fake claim "nobody rig, I will rig SillySod to prove my innocence" and I am sure people can come up with other stuff. The rigging should be at the core of this game, being the exciting new mechanic. And it needs to be exercisable in a creative and proactive way to not render the game into a conSPIROcy through the weighed ballots.

Lastly, I can't really predict how the ballots and rigging will affect the detective part of the game. I am sure it won't turn out like a regular mafia game, but I hope detective work is still part of it.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

pac, my advice:
If you want this to be an interesting game,
and the thread to be an interesting read,
then ban all private communication between players.
erzkanzler

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg:
Including the Ninja team?
I thought that no PMs among villagers were a given, as well as out of thread com for the baddies.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the 2nd, rigged ballot idea. If you give every player, ninja and villager alike a chance to rig a ballot then nothing could be certain, no innocence proved. It also leaves both sides wondering if they should use their rigged vote earlier or later in the game. Used earlier on it wont be wasted but used later in the game it could be very powerful. For example, the wolves could chose to use all their rigged votes early, cutting villager numbers swiftly and precisely. It would help create lots of discussion and disagreement Very Happy)

I think the randomness of the voting is likely to detract from the evil chances of winning. So would the vote rigging so I'd suggest a slightly higher proportion of wolves than normal, say 4 in 16.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

erzkanzler wrote:
Plorg:
Including the Ninja team?

Correct.
Irgy

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

signup Irgy
Gatts

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2007 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

signup Gatts-san

Have no idea wheter this is balanced or workable, but Ill take any opportunity to backstab and assasinate you people.. i mean.. death to the ninjas!