55 coaches online • Server time: 18:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bedlamite

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having some issues with Dwarves, with my Goblin team.

What on earth do you do, vs an opponent who primarilly has armour 9, block all around and thick skull, when only armed with str 2 yourself?

My trolls put up a fight (with luck a long one) but the slayers aren't really fazed by this, so I'm running out of "dwarf-begone".

So far, a foul was the only thing that I managed to send one out on. At best so far, I only seem to do like 1-2 KO's during the game, and that's it. While he's tearing me a new one...

Any idea's to this?
(also not he's one of those annoyingly intelligent players, who'll cover every corner and tackle zone he has, so no "catching him offguard" I'm afraid)

- Bedlam
blizzt95

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm. You're playing goblins, against dwarves, and want to -hit- them? Oh man.

You know, I think I'll just let Shadow or someone else come up with something to say. I can't think of anything funny enough.
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

1st double - DP
2nd double - DP
3rd double - DP

hire bombs and use DP. then use DP some more. then, when your DPs are thrown out of the game, foul again.
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You do this to them.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1909312

and knock them out of the fumbbl cup!
bedlamite

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

blizzt95 wrote:
Uhm. You're playing goblins, against dwarves, and want to -hit- them? Oh man.

You know, I think I'll just let Shadow or someone else come up with something to say. I can't think of anything funny enough.

Aww, what's the matter blitz', not quick enough to hit me yourself? Come on lad, I'll let you plant one right here, free of charge...? No?

Anyway, ofc I want to hit them... I usually play board, which means I have squigs as well... Goblins tend to be a team eating machine table top, when kittet with the right toys...
The "rehire start player every game" is hurting too, as I cant get my chainsaw in there as much as I'd like...

Trolls are no good at throwing, and I'm no good at landing, so I tend to knock things down instead and swarm it with boots till it stops moving.

Only problem is, the blighters are darn neigh so short it doesn't matter if they're lying or standing. So it makes no diff.

Obviously, I'm aware I need to play "running" game with them, but with my fastest player being movement 6, well... It's more of a "hey let's go for a walk shall we?" game... And the dwarfs seem to be right up that alley...

Now, if you'd taken the time needed to read and (here comes the important bit, come on, I know you can do it if you try) think, about what I said, it wasn't as much "ooh! I'm going to manhandle these things and show them the true definition of beardy!" as it was "how on earth do I stop the buggers from spoiling a perfectly good set of goblin boots, by smearing them with green paste, and whatever else is left from the carnage as they rampage through me.

In order to play running and throwing... I need someone around to do it...

So, this big wall of words aside... Any ideas?
(watching replay as we speak)

- Bedlam
Colin

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 03:58 Reply with quote Back to top

All Goblin teams have issues with Dwarfs - it's one of the great mismatches in BloodBowl: See these stats for Goblins v everyone else, you'll see Dwarfs are high on the list of nastiest opponents.

Try to avoid a mass brawl, avoid especially the Longbeards (Block + Tackle = Trouble for Goblins) - Dwarfs are very dangerous when packed close together, spread out and make them come after you.
Use your superior movement to switch the play from one flank to the other (with a hand-off),
Try to prevent the cage forming (use Throw Teammate if you have to, it can be used in defence just as well as offence)
Don't be afraid to take risks to get the ball.

I see you drew your game v Dwarfs - you managed to survive lining up with most of your team on the line, which was a terrible mistake - once those Longbeard go 1 v 1 on your Goblins, you either have to dodge without the benefit of your Dodge skill, or stay put and face a 2 dice block with a 75% chance of a knockdown - with Av 7 and Stunty, hitting the dirt is bad news for Goblins.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

easy: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1808462 Wink
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
easy: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1808462 Wink

except that most dwarf teams have more than 9 players

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I see you drew your game v Dwarfs - you managed to survive lining up with most of your team on the line, which was a terrible mistake

Yeh I realized that about 40 split seconds after starting the game. Tried to make up for it later, but I admit that could, and should, have gone very differently.

I tried to grenade a goblin into someone earlier today, but it wouldn't let me actually place him on the person... Didn't you used to be able to do that?
Colin

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

bedlamite wrote:
I tried to grenade a goblin into someone earlier today, but it wouldn't let me actually place him on the person... Didn't you used to be able to do that?

Yep, you used to - I don't know why it was taken out. TTM on defence basically means getting Goblins into a position to harass a ball-carrier by blitzing or at least man-marking. Side Step + Diving Tackle is an excellent Goblinskill route for this reason.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hire Bomber Dribblesnot. Hire Ripper. Possibly even Fungus, or a wizard. Make sure you got lots of rerolls.

If you want to 'out-bash' dwarves the overall strat is that you need to hit the dwarves with all you got already from the start, and just keep on pounding as hard and fast as you can. Isolate a dwarf, take him down with Bomber and/or Ripper and then gang foul like mad. Every turn that a goblin is sent off from a foul or injury and doesnt take a dwarf with him is one step closer to getting shredded.

I'd say focus on the slayers first if you can. Softer than the LBs and a threat to your big guys. Once those are out your trolls and Ripper can more safely tie up 2-3 dwarves each, letting your gobos have some free movement.

Nobbla is not a good option vs av9 teams.

The Boyz
bedlamite

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well appart from my last fight, RL and here, I always aim to have Nobbla. Reckon he's well worth the money.
But didn't you used to buy star players for a set price, and then you could keep them for a smaller ammount each time? I seem to have to completely rebuy every time...

That makes it impossible to include very many, and for Goblins, two trolls is not enough to tie up 11 players. While I can throw Goblins after them, I'll run out of player too fast that way. So need something else to distract them.

I have a "love/hate" relationship with fungus and bomber. Sometimes they're amazingly worth their price. Others, my average gblins pull more weight than both combined.

Oh, but the diving tackle and side step idea... Nice one, didn't think about that. Will do.

- Bedlam
Colin

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2008 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

bedlamite wrote:
But didn't you used to buy star players for a set price, and then you could keep them for a smaller ammount each time? I seem to have to completely rebuy every time...

AFAIK, this has never been in any official ruleset. FUMBBL is still using LRB 4, a copy of which is available here in the Downloads section.

Stars have to be hired every time, just like freebooters.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeh, I got it confused with the "stand alone games" contra this...

Star players have a "high" price, and a "low" one... I'm not sure, as it's been years on end now, but I recall having to buy them for the "high" price, and then you could keep hiring them, there on in, for the low one.

What I messed up is, the way we play now, it's just the low one it seems... So that's ok.

Still cant seem to figure out, how I used to be able to include Ripper Bolgrot, Nobbla AND occasionally Bomber in EVERY match... Now, I'm fighting to include one of them. Just two trolls, and no squigs makes the current LRB4 Goblins a bit tough it would seem... But every bit as fun as always.

All of this is, of course, irrelevant, as I just lost a few more players and had some appaling "crowd" rolls. So I'm left with less players on my team, than when I started it from scratch, only one troll, no reserves if I take a casualty during the match, and not even enough to buy a single Goblin...

Part of me wants to stick it out, and hope for the best.. But since this team only plays my mates, and they're only getting stronger by the minute, I'm not too keen on granting them free spp's and matches either... So reckon I might sack it and try again, keeping the "don't give them something to actually hit" thing in mind... I seem to do better when remembering that.

- Bedlam
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to admit that my goblins haven't met dwarves so often (just 3 times). I still remember the win coz it was such a lucky situation, when my gobbo caught the bouncing ball after the ball carrying runner rolled a skull and took his chance to escape with it. Watch it there: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741829

edit: btw: I'like to hire Fungus the Loon. In that match his appearance was quite short, though. Cool

Jump to: