83 coaches online • Server time: 21:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
When someone asks you to let up on bashing them, how do you respond?
I take their players' health into account more then winning
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
I focus on scoring, and let up somewhat on unneeded bashing
46%
 46%  [ 103 ]
If they want me to let up they can hit concede
31%
 31%  [ 70 ]
Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the coaches!
18%
 18%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 221

swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

So, in Bloodbowl, either team can get ripped apart thanks to chance, or an opponent's careful planning.

Seeing your team get beat up can be depressing, and some people will respond to it, not by concedeing, but by more or less asking you to let up.

Now, at least for me personally, such a request usually does temper my play, I want to win AND play for fun after all, but I've found that it usually isn't worth it.

In recent games, I've been annoyed into not knocking someone into the sidelines...only to have one of their players knock a player of mine out the next turn, had another coach ask to just hit end turn for the last two turns (I was leading) because he had to go only to see him block me on turn 8, another coach complain because I actually used a carver on my Chaos 'Fling team on an open potential receiver even though he kept sending them into that area trying to score, and so on.

So this got me to wondering how other Fumbblers handle this kind of thing. When someone asks you to let up on bashing their team, but don't want to concede, how do you respond?
meatpack

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on my mood and what team I am playing, back when my amazons weren't retired I was relentless and I actually killed 5 players in one match... hee hee.
If I am not in the mood to stop pummeling the opposition I simply do not respond or I just type in "heh" and keep on smashing. It depends on the team and how you are using it. Although my Zons mutilated opponents I also got the ball and scored when I could. they did lose more games than they won, but towards the end I played some teams that were completely out of my league.

I say, let them protest and then they can make a forum post about bashy teams not letting off of the bashing...
DING!

Here's me 'ol amazon team Wink:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=17693

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that bloodbowl is about winning matches, to do this you have to score goals. Really you probebly donĀ“t want your own players to die, reducing this risk goes trough not making unneccesary blocks, wich sometimes are seen when your big guy without pro tries to block the opponents goblin rolling 2 attacker down.. thats my thougt..
meatpack

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

when that danger is present and I want the TD I don't take the risk of failing a block, so I will score. whenever I decide to make that block, I seem to roll double skulls or something similar that causes me to fail... I learned my lesson on that one years ago...

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to ease up on the pointless stuff, tds give me more spps, so i go for them, if players go near the sides however, i have been known to push them out, and also depending on my mood, if its bad then i go for the kill ;]

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I do anything and everything that can get me spps. If you get bashed up really badly i'm not going to foul you into oblivion out of spite, but i will throw every block and blitz i have a chance to becuase i can get spps. Nobody has any right to bitch about you blocking their palyers or scoring tds or passing the ball. Fouling and side line pushing when the game is already over is just poor taste becuase you can't get anything out of it. In short any form of cruelty is fine as long as their is some tangible benefit to be gained form it, it's when people do things for no reason other than to hurt soemone elses team that it get's on my nerves.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

asking your opponent to let up is akin to hiding in the corner wimpering "please don't hit me"

I hit as much as i choose too, asking me to stop will usually result in dishing out more pain, mind you no one has asked me that cause i don't normally just go for the hitting

I use my players to posistion them best so i can win the game, if that means hitting i hit if it means moving somewhere useful i will do that instead
Franz

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't want me to hit you leave your players from my way!

I'll score some touchdowns and i'm fine. But if you ask me to let up and then strikes my ball-carrier don't expect me not to do the same!
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I will never forget the day when............ I got the ref start of the second half, my opp begged me not to foul, so me being *nice* didnt.
Turn 8 of the second the bastard fouled me, wtf is that about. No More I say .

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

There are I believe reasons to foul/crowd push that aren't always as clear cut as spp or directly increasing your chances of winning (note: I don't do what I'm about to explain, but I know some players who do and I understand WHY they do it).
There can be times where crowd pushing and fouling (or at least the potential to crowd push or foul) can indirectly increase your chances of winning. If the chance of facing a crowd push or foul is the risk someone takes to make a dangerous play, then by setting up a precedent of not fouling or crowd pushing, then you are taking away that risk and thus making the play considerably less risky for the opponent (by that I don't mean they are more likely to succeed in their attempt of the play. I mean that if they fail the play it won't matter as much).

Take for example that the the score is tied, the ball is between one of your players and the sideline, and both players have 1 turn left (your opponent going first). Your opponent has a chance of winning, but to do so he has to put his player between your player and the sideline (lets assume that either a blitz on the player covering the ball would be very unlikely to succeed or that a blitz had to be used this turn already). If you aren't going to push his player into the crowd or foul him, then the only risk his player will face is tripping over. However, if you will foul him if he trips or push him into the crowd if he fumbles the ball, then the player is at a significantly greater risk, and therefore your opponent has to weigh up the potential risk (seriously injured or killed player) with the potential reward (winning the match), and thus he may decide the play is not worth the risk (therefore increasing your chances of winning the game...or at least not losing it).

Of course this stratergy of increasing the risk only works if your opponent knows you are using it (otherwise they will gleefuly walk right into the dangerous situation without realising there is any risk involved), and I've seen some people who claim that they use this stratergy but only when asked....they don't inform their opponents either before or during the game, which kind of defeats the point.

I lost a werewolf to a similar situation once, and whilst my opponent didn't inform me that he would punish me for making a risky play in the last turn, I didn't blame him because I was the one who made the risky play. I knew there was a significant chance that my werewolf would get hurt (I always keep in mind that my opponent might punish my dangerous plays), but I made the play regardless and I am therefore responsible for the consiquences.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I once had a game, where I reduced some norse to only 3 man left on the field. He already had his best player killed and 2 SI, as he asked me to stop. I stopped all blocks and just scored every 2nd turn. As soon as he blocked one of my players, I started to block him again till the end of the game.
Covertfun

Post 6 Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If somebody is negotiating in the chat about anything, that's great... it adds a dimension to the game... if someone asks you not to block, ask them to actually move their players away or even not set them up. If they are asking to avoid further punishment, you clearly have the upper hand, so use it to negotiate on your terms. Smile

I negotiate sometimes, if my opponent is caging on the touchdown line, but I don't simply beg. I surround a player and threaten a foul. Twisted Evil

the point is: don't be afraid to extend the game beyond what happens on the pitch - if your opponent asks for something, you can still be a nice and reasonable person and ask for something in exchange. Wink

lastly: if someone reneges on their agreement, or fouls in turn 8 of the second half - - don't worry too much. Even if you lose your very best player, THEY have to spend the rest of their lives as themselves, and that's a far worse punishment! Cool
Pontus

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as the my oposing coach tries to break my drive and/or hurt my players, i will hammer his team to the best of my ability, including fouling and pushing his players over the sidelines. Thats how the game is played.
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

well said. A little leeway is a good thing, Why risk injury however unlikely, double skulls happen, and torment a beaten coach? run in a few and wish em better luck for next time round i say. However if they do foul you on turn eight, remember their name and never play em again. Or just let deathgerbil repay em for you. either way Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Covertfun wrote:
If somebody is negotiating in the chat about anything, that's great... it adds a dimension to the game... if someone asks you not to block, ask them to actually move their players away or even not set them up. If they are asking to avoid further punishment, you clearly have the upper hand, so use it to negotiate on your terms. Smile

the point is: don't be afraid to extend the game beyond what happens on the pitch - if your opponent asks for something, you can still be a nice and reasonable person and ask for something in exchange. Wink

This sort of behaviour is against the FUMBBL rules and is considered match fixing. Agreements of any kind between players that will benefit the teams is deemed to be match fixing. Any evidence of this will result in teams getting retired and most likely rankings reset.

If you want to do something then do it. You don't need your opponents permission to do anything. If they want to try something in the last turn that leaves there player in a posistion to be pushed off the pitch if they fail then they should expect to get that player pushed into the crowd.

You shouldn't ask your opponent to not block you or whatever. If you can't handle the pace then just conceed the match.
 Jump to: