31 coaches online • Server time: 12:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
When someone asks you to let up on bashing them, how do you respond?
I take their players' health into account more then winning
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
I focus on scoring, and let up somewhat on unneeded bashing
46%
 46%  [ 103 ]
If they want me to let up they can hit concede
31%
 31%  [ 70 ]
Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the coaches!
18%
 18%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 221

irontoof

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunno, perhaps I'm old fashioned or something but if I'm getting beaten up I accept that. Bashy teams need to reduce an opponent to fewer players than them it's part of the game.

What annoys me a little is when my team is beaten (players dead, SI, BH, KO) and the opponent ignores the chance of an easy touchdown (and more after) just to beat up on me some more.

I've never asked an opponent to stop blocking but I have spent a turn moving players away from the other team and leaving an open path for his ball carrier just for him to stop short of the goal line and spend three turns chasing and blocking my team into the dust. Game ended in a 1-1 draw. I thought that conceeding was 'bad practice' as it removes from your opponent the chance of walking in a couple of TD's that his team has earned. I will use it in future to protect a badly beaten team from destruction though.

Loosing a game is one thing, having your team destroyed in a game that isn't even close takes a long time to recover from.
Lord-Willi

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, the aim of the game should be, winning a game...
You do that by scoring and taking some risk, i hate some bashy teams with 5 Pilers and 3 Dirty Players who think, winning is the thing when no enemy is on the field.
Delaying touchdowns for 6 turns proceeding with block/chase/foulplay to get a good start to second half is just unnecessary.
To count on a concede as opportunity for your opponent to skip the worst bashing is stupid. I would rather loose 4 Medium Players because of bashing than half of my Starplayers cause i chickened out !

Overall second aim is to have some fun, and tearing down a lovely build team even if it's "just" enemy is just fun for a while, greatest Games are never bashy ones !!!
TheLegend

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws wrote:
I do anything and everything that can get me spps. If you get bashed up really badly i'm not going to foul you into oblivion out of spite, but i will throw every block and blitz i have a chance to becuase i can get spps. Nobody has any right to bitch about you blocking their palyers or scoring tds or passing the ball. Fouling and side line pushing when the game is already over is just poor taste becuase you can't get anything out of it. In short any form of cruelty is fine as long as their is some tangible benefit to be gained form it, it's when people do things for no reason other than to hurt soemone elses team that it get's on my nerves.

my thoughts exactly, if they don't want their players to get hurt, the can just lay down... or concede.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Give me a break Legend... You are the LAST coach to talk about this subject.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Originally, I was certainly a "I focus on scoring, and let up somewhat on unneeded bashing" type coach, now, after my experiences, I think I am moving into the "If they want me to let up they can hit concede" range. Some coaches, it would seem, want you to let up on bashing not just so their team isn't destroyed but so that they still have a chance of winning...which goes agains thte spirit of the game...

I've never asked my opponents to let up - and if I'm getting pummeled I either concede or play the game so as to maximize my players' protection. So, I think from now I'll suggest the same policy to those I play against, if they ask me to let up.
Freefragger

Post 13 Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate nothing more, than people that foul when they are leading, crowd pushing and other silly stuff, there is no point in it. That u would like to smash another guys team, that is ok, and hitting a lot is ok, but doing stuff, that doesn´t even give a chance of making spp is just silly, and reducing another team is reducing ur chance of making spp. Not saying that I never foul or crowd push, when I can see that I can benefit from it, but if I´m fouling and pushing, then I risk, that my opponent will concede, and that will prevent me from making spp. So be nice and don´t do things that u wouldn´t want for yourself...

FreeFragger
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Lord-Willi wrote:
In my opinion, the aim of the game should be, winning

Delaying touchdowns for 6 turns proceeding with block/chase/foulplay to get a good start to second half is just unnecessary.

Those two aspects interact with each other. Sometimes you can't have one without the other.... !!!

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2003 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm certain to win the game anyway and the opponent has been hurt so much it is silly, I let up a bit. They better not foul though.

I hate games against bashy teams where you only have something like 3 players for most of the second half and no chance to win and they still continues to foul(assisted)/crowdpush/making unessesary block. They blocks I don't mind, but why foul, no SPP's anyway?

I almost always crowdpush if given the chance though, at least against fast teams.
Matt_wyeth

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't want to get fouled turn 8 second half don't loose the bloody coin toss. Besides its a great weapon that turn 8 foul i mean whats the downside of fouling, getting throw out of the game and having to gang up on one player. so if you can't win then at least foul and if the other coach can't understand that you need to get your kicks in before the final gun shot then he/she deserves it. NUFFLE save those who wish for good sportsmanship in BLOOD BOWL. plus its a known fact that fouling turn 8 is very mean and pointless.
Niiv

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The spirit is right in MAtts post...there is no precedence in BB that tells you that the game is about winning and not bashing. In fact a lot of the teams described in the rulebooks are very much about bashing and very little about winning...

btw
I need 1 team in the OFL
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=616

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing a Khemri team with my norse recently i was left at 1 point with only 1 player on the pitch, which my opponent kept down. My thought on this was simply i would do the same in his position.
They dont call it BLOOD bowl for nothing u know
cataphract

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, and all you teams who score heaps... let up on scoring, it's upsetting to lose by a big margin!

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

You guys are such lame asses. Shocked
Tor_Libram

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Theaxman wrote:
I was surprised it took two pages for this to appear. Rolling Eyes
I tend to be a minimum force player. Even with the bashy teams, I hit the ones that need to be hit and then score the TD's. I don't delay, because I have faith in my defence abilities, I can stop an elf drive in its tracks, but fair play to them if they can get it done.
If I inflict heavy casualties, then the number of people that need to be hit goes down, so in effect I let them off. It means that coach will be more likely to play me again in the future, so it works for me.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

It's also surprising that some lamer had to resurrect a thread from OCTOBER just to say it, man that really takes this debate to a whole new level, I am glad he did it.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Foul, Shove, Stall, Ease Up. Just know that judgement is left up to Nuffle. And when my gobbo knocks your wardancer's stalling butt into the turf and kills him, go look for mommy to cry to because I don't want to hear about it. I live a clean life, and Nuffle favors me (except when he doesn't- and that's ok too).
 Jump to: