44 coaches online • Server time: 16:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Geenimetsuri

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2008 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
Since there is no specific note, the normal rules for a failed attempt to pick up, intercept or catch will apply (i.e. yes, attempting to pick up the ball is a turnover).

I would like to point out that a B&C player has Goblin Fanatics are never allowed to pick up or catch the ball in its description, which to me would imply that they cannot FAIL a pick up roll because they CAN'T try it.

Buzzing player's description says he will automatically FAIL a pickup roll, this is DIFFERENT from not being ALLOWED to pick up the ball in the first place.

For that matter, does buzzing player even get 'No hands' skill in the client?

edit:
Just for reminder the LRB 4 rules about picking up the ball:
If a player moves into a square in which the football is lying, they
must attempt to pick it up, and – if they wish and are able – carry
on moving.

Players that move into the square with the ball at other times
(i.e., when pushed back, etc) can’t pick up the ball, and instead it
will bounce one square. This does not cause a turnover. See
Bouncing Balls on page 14.
If the D6 roll is less than the required total, then
the player drops the ball, which will scatter one square. If the
player drops the ball then his team suffers a turnover and their
team turn ends immediately.

B&C players are not ALLOWED to complete this part: must attempt to pick it up and get no D6 roll either.

edit 2:
From turnovers:
3. A player from the moving team attempts to pick up the ball and fails

B&C players are never allowed to pick up a ball, while Buzzing players automatically fail it.

Last edited by Geenimetsuri on Jun 15, 2008 - 17:27; edited 1 time in total
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2008 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
For that matter, does buzzing player even get 'No hands' skill in the client?

Yes.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2008 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah friend of mine spent all of his movement on a buzzing player trying to pick up the ball in a game we had a while back. He hadn't refreshed his memory and wasn't clear on the rules so he couldn't figure out what was going on. I knew exactly what was happening and found the whole situation rather funny.
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2008 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Geenimetsuri wrote:
Laviak wrote:
Since there is no specific note, the normal rules for a failed attempt to pick up, intercept or catch will apply (i.e. yes, attempting to pick up the ball is a turnover).

I would like to point out that a B&C player has Goblin Fanatics are never allowed to pick up or catch the ball in its description, which to me would imply that they cannot FAIL a pick up roll because they CAN'T try it.

B&C players are never allowed to pick up a ball, while Buzzing players automatically fail it.

Agreed!

From the LRB4 Rules clarification in LRB4 handbook

"Q: What is the full list of items causing a turnover?
A:
1) A player on the moving team is knocked down or falls over that was not thrown by Throw Team-Mate (use of Piling On, Diving
Catch, and Diving Tackle do not count for falling over).
2) A passed ball or hand-off is not caught by a player from the moving team when the ball comes to rest
3) A pass attempt is fumbled. (Throw Team-Mate fumbles are not turnovers unless the player had the ball)
4) A player from the moving team attempts to pick up the ball and fails (note: failed catch rolls by themselves are never turnovers)
5) ..."

"Goblin Fanatics are never allowed to pick up or catch the ball."

Since the B&C player is not allowed to pick up the ball, they never attemp to pick up the ball and thus do not cause a turnover. A buzzing plyer however "will automatically fail any attempt to pick up, intercept or catch the ball."

Last edited by MSpanke on Jun 15, 2008 - 17:36; edited 1 time in total
joec911

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm raising this old post from the dead...can a No Hands player attempt an intercept? It specifically states 3 things they are unable to do but only states that 2 will fail automatically. Like the catch part would fail by letter of the rule, but can you attempt the interception knowing that the ball will just scatter from them?

The player is unable to pick up, intercept or carry the ball and will fail any
catch roll automatically, either because he literally has no hands or
because his hands are full. If he attempts to pick up the ball then it will
bounce, and will cause a turnover if it is his team’s turn.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

joec911 wrote:
I'm raising this old post from the dead...can a No Hands player attempt an intercept?.

The No Hands player is unable to intercept, so he can't try to intercept the ball.
He can't declare the interception at all.
About the pick up: I guess that the ball scatters because the ball must move if the No Hands player moves into the square where it is, I think of the Fanatic for example.
Instead when the ball is thrown it's flying so there is no need to make it scatter from a square.
joec911

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just thinking like a pass deflection.

I'm not really arguing FOR it, but moreso wondering the interpretation of the rules. Especially as someone who has almost no experience with No Hands.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If you could try to catch then it would be specified by the skill description like in the Pick Up example.
There is no mention about trying to intercept or catch the ball and making it scatter from the No Hands player in the skill description.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

What happens if you give a No Hands player Big Hand? Shocked

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
What happens if you give a No Hands player Big Hand? Shocked

You waste a skill slot. Very Happy
joec911

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Grammatically speaking you would have no big hands, which would imply that you HAVE hands.

Well played, Jelly. Well played.
finsterface

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

No Hands (Extraordinary)
The player is unable to pick up, intercept or carry the ball and will fail any catch roll automatically, either because he literally has no hands or because his hands are full. If he attempts to pick up the ball then it will bounce, and will causes a turnover if it is his team’s turn.
(CRP, p.46)

Sounds like it should be a turnover (if he enters a square & the ball scatters)?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:

Sounds like it should be a turnover (if he enters a square & the ball scatters)?

Yes it's turnover if it's his team's turn.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

joec911 wrote:
Grammatically speaking you would have no big hands, which would imply that you HAVE hands.

Well played, Jelly. Well played.

Also, 'No Hands' is plural. It doesn't say you can't have a hand Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
joec911

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2017 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice loopholing! I'm impressed! Would extra arm help?
 Jump to: