27 coaches online • Server time: 03:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BlindeyeInsight

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello. I happen to be an animation student and can't keep this vision of an more animated JavaBB. I mean, the best animation the game has right now is the Big Guy's walk cycles.

Will there be a place for animation to be added into character actions in the future? I think it would make the game seem more alive.

Personally, I'm inclined to go "OMG I'd love to make the animation for the game" but there's really no way Skijunkie or anyone on the project would really consider me trust worthy. Still, if there's always the possibility that such a thing could be implemented and you'll be needing someone to do it, I'd love to donate some of that sort of art.

I mean, how did you get the original sprites? Did some guy just post "Hey, I just did some spirtes. Here you go!" or did you ask openly?

Anyways, on to my next topic.

I always thought it would be neat to see a replay after the game, or after the half in real time. I had some ideas how something could do this, but it would probably need a whole other program to read through the log and play the action back at 1 turn every few seconds. It'd also need the above animated stuff to be interesting at all.

Anyway, sorry for all these jumbled thoughts, but I've been daydreaming about watching my BB match back in real-time ever since I started playing.

Heck, I do that for any game I do. This is just the first time I felt like it could be done, considering this is all fan-based.

Anywho, just as a side note I imagine any decent animation using characters that small on the screen would resemble that game "Lemmings"... with more detail of course... which had pretty decent movement if I remember correnctly.

Anyway, comments?
BlindeyeInsight

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This is in the wrong forum ain't it?
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It sure sounds like a cool idea. From what I understand, the current way the animation is done is with animated gifs. I don't know too much about the internal working of the client, but I imagine that it *could* be reworked to show a different animated gif during different actions for starters. I'm not sure what kind of smoothness you could get with that though, you might want to try playing around with making an animated icon for a player and see what's involved.

The Finishing Touch
BlindeyeInsight

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Animated gifs you say? I'm sure I could find programs to do stuff like that.
I imagine smoothness totally depends on the fps.

Sure, I'll try to make some for a Lineman or something.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the main reason normal animated gifs aren't very smooth is that you want to keep the frames and therefore the size down for web work, the main place you see animated gifs used. For this you should be able to use a lot more frames to get it smooth since size isn't so much of a concern.

The Finishing Touch
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to make the game more animated. I'd love to see diablo or starcraft type animated players. The only thing stopping me from working on the necessary code is that I am no artist, and no artist has stepped forward to provide quality sprites for animation.

The current icons were actually found by Galak (who works on the PBEM tool). After I saw those I asked both Galak and the icon artist if it would be okay if I used them, and thankfully they said yes.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2003 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you should see allt he MBBL icons if you haven't already. Some of them are quite spiffy.

The easiest way to get started, B-E-I would be to make some icons, rather than something that would require new code. It would get your feet wet and there's still plently of cool stuff that can be done with a mere 32x32 pixels or so. Just think of some of the cooler icons you're seen.

Once you get a set put together, go over the README file on how to put them into the 'icons.ini' file and make one to use your icons. In the immortal words of a Chelsea-boy-gone-mainstream-and-N'Orleans-ish, 'Bam!'

Actually, a set of matching replacement portraits (and the appropriate .ini file) would be cool, as well.

So what do you use for your animations? Flash? Director? ToonBoom? All of them should have an export option for animated gifs. The format doesn't give you a lot of options and you'll probably find it pretty primitive, but how much do you really need for a 32x32 pixel canvas?

ps. Yeah, this is the wrong forum, but I won't tell if you don't.

Jump to: