30 coaches online • Server time: 13:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is Man O' War awsome?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 55 ]
No, its better than that
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Macavity says yes
28%
 28%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 114

SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, as part of the recent VASSAL craze I've started adapting one of the clients to deal with an old favourite Man O' War. I want top down versions of a few of the ships so I can get started figuring out how to import them properly as board pieces.

As I am just starting to put it together I'm not sure exactly what size I want the images to be, I need to work out roughly how many pixels there are to an inch and exactly what effect the zoom function has on the neessary size and quality of the pictures. Eventually I'd want to get complete sets for all of the fleets (theres about 3-4 ship types in each fleet), all the monsters and fliers, the turning and range templates, and some terrain. For now though I just want one of you talented fellows to create a few ship images for me to mess around with (birds eye view because facing is important). I'll need images for ship cards and counters as well but for now I think I can handle that myself.

Oh, and I'm looking for GIF images Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, you're a god! What an awsome idea ;D

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah! Change your name in SillyGod!

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Superb! Along with BB, one of games workshop's masterpieces. Now get out of the forums + start working on it! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Man O´War!
I am good at nothing but willing to help.
Even better than birds view would be pictures that express the damage the ship was dealt. Different hitting zones.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah! Man O' War!!... Sadly enough I only have digital versions of the rulebooks, nothing else Sad
0rky

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

http://dougram.battletechnology.org/TableTopGaming/GamesWorkshop/ManOWar/ManOWar.htm

I found this to help refresh anybody you wants to know about this great game. I had a great Empire fleet when I use to play it many many years ago.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Steady on guys, its only a VASSAL module I'm planning so it wont be as good as the BB client that we use for FUMBBL. Once I get a version of it working well enough for general use then I'll put it on megaupload and link anyone who's interested to the relevant rulebooks and client.

For now I just want birdseye images for the Bretonian and Empire fleets. I dont want anything more fancy just yet incase it has to be redone. Eventually people could get different icons for damaged ships but for now its not a priority.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Static

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Give some idea of size and shape.. ie does it need to be square, do you need all 4 directions.. same size as say a javabbowl big guy? which is 40x40
hammerman

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this would be and awsome idea to bring back old GW games that us younger generation missed. Unfortunatly I have no experiance with any of this stuff your asking its a shame because this would be quite cool if compleated.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure exactly what size, looking at a few of the 40k vehicle pictures and attempting to work out how big the models are in comparison I'd guess that I want something maybe 60x30ish (maybe). I dont need them precisely rectangular but having clearly defined horizontal edges would be quite useful. Heres a picture to give you some sort of idea about what the ships look like and what they're called for the empire fleet:

PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

never played man'o'war but willing to give it a try! Good jo SillySod. Sneak a peek at the bfg mod for inspiration if that might help.

DeMoorck

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2008 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Man'oWar!! Awesome, i still sometimes play against an old friend of mine with my treasured old Brettonian fleet.

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2008 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

/me BOOs Bretonnians!

I'll just put one of my ships of the line against your bows and sink yer ass!

Sry, got carried away for a bit there Embarassed

Man O War is IMHO still the bestest game GW ever made. Pity the complexity of the rules and the fragility of the miniatures made it go out of print.

If there would ever be a decent MoW client I'd totally do an Emphasy on Bloodbowling...

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2008 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

BUMP. I've got to work on this and so far I've created a proper sea background along with a decent set of terrain for it. I'll need to get someone like Cloggy to tell me if I've got the terrain the right size (tell me the diameter in inches of the volcano island) and I want to clear up some of the border colours so they blend with the sea a little more but all the terrain is recognisable and looks relatively good when placed on the sea. As well as that I've managed to create a few counters for damage and crew as well as adding the ship templates for all the original ships.

Jump to: