81 coaches online • Server time: 21:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Baffers

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there BB-ers

I have a question. The matter may already have been addressed, but I can't find it anywhere, so here goes.

On page 28 of the LRB, under apothecaries, the rules state: "At any time during a match the Apothecary may attempt to cure any one injury (even death!) that has been suffered by a player in his team". If we interpret the word "injury" in its broadest meaning, this means any injury (so even stunned and ko). Then why can't we use the apothecary for these injuries?

There probably is a very sound and comprehensive answer to this question, so I would like to hear it! Wink
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Technically you are right, unless there is an errata somewhere that changes the way LRB defines Injury and Casualty.

Any result of a knockdown is called an Injury, and the more serious results are called Casualties. The way JBB handles it now is an apothecary can stop any Injury that results in a Casualty, but not Stun or KO.
However I can think of no time I would really want to use an apoth on a Stun or KO (even to help prevent a score). Apothecaries are for the long haul, to prevent permanent damage to your team. In fumbbl with such long-lived teams, they become even more important to stop Serious Injuries, and Death.
Baffers

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't use it either for a stunned or ko, but it's possible that you would want to do so. Imagine this: it's the final match of the "Who's your daddy" league, the league to determine the best player in the world. The score is zilch - even less. Your lone human somehow had gotten hold of the ball and is all alone near the end zone. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a gutter runner blitzes you, knocking himself out and stunning your human. If your human would "only" be prone, he could easily pick up the ball and score on your last turn.

So yes, it is a silly question and it almost never happens, but it just might.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason the client doesn't allow apothocaries to be used on stun and ko is simply to save time when playing. If a pop up window came up everytime that a player was stunned or kod it would slow the game down a good deal, especially with some of the slower players out there. So while it is technically a variation from the lrb, the benfits of saving time during a match outway the very very rare instance in which you would need your apothocary for a ko or stun.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... The answer to the question is really very simple; read the "DifferencesFromTheBoardGameFAQ.txt" file. At row 4 it states:

"(4) You will never get a chance to use an apothecary on a KOed
or stunned player."

To my knowing these sidesteps from the original rules is based on technical and statistical assumptions. You can't actually use your apothecary "any time during a match" and you can't use it on stuns and ko's. I believe the technical limitations of the client makes it just not worth the hazzle to implement it in the way the rule book describes it.

Getting used to the way SkyJunkie works with these new patch releases, I figure we won't see any changes to this specific issue any time soon, though you'll never know what might happen once the new rule book is released. It seems there are much more important things to implement right now. Wink
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

its like that cause skijunkie wanted to have as few things popping up for your opponet during your turn as possible

hardly anyone is going to use the apoth on a stun or a KO even though you are allowed to by the rules so ski made it like that
HoboJed

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2003 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah...I must have logged out.... is it possible that a mod could delete that message? (and then this line from this post as well if it's not too much trouble).

In one game I played it actualy did matter. I was 2-1 down and I was close to scoring. It was my second last turn, and my only player close enough to the TD line tripped over tryinging to dodge, but as long as he could get back up next turn I probably would have scored. All I would have had to have done was to make a short pass with my AG 4, accurate, pass thrower, to my other player who was AG5 (and this is my orc team Smile), and I had a re-roll spare. But he got stunned, so my apoth couldn't help him. Sad

I still prefer the way it is now though, because it just doesn't come up often enough to waste so much time with pop up windows.
Toppyt

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If you use the LRB - there is an injury roll table where it clearly states that once you are past the armour you are rolling for an injury. Therefore, an apoth can be used although it is rarely used for a stunned or KO'd personal. Also remember if you push a player out of bound the apothcary can NOT be used to fix any injury. (would you go into stands full of raving Blood Bowl fans?)

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for repeating what had been said, and ignoring the explanation for why it isn't that way Smile welcome to fumbbl btw.
 Jump to: