23 coaches online • Server time: 02:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Athruien

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there!
So I played my first game against a Human Opponent today (read the strategy guides and played a view stand-alones to get to know the rules before), and besides being pretty lucky with the counterattack in the first half, I'm pretty sure I made some mistakes. It seems this is the right forum to ask for some advice, so I hereby do that. The game is fun, and I would really like to learn it.

Things I noticed myself:

(i) The skeleton in the upper wide zone was placed one space ahead of the intended space. I must have overlooked that.

(ii) In turn three or four I did not intend to dodge with the skeleton, I simply did not notice that one of the orcs was still standing.

(iii) I left a hole in the defense in the upper zone, with just one skeleton, which he exploited with the gobiln. If not for some lucky dice on my part (they stayed with me throughout the match), that would have been a touchdown for him with too little time left for a proper counterattack in the rest of the first half.

Ah, alomst forgot, here's the link to the game:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2233406

On a second note - I rolled snake eyes for my thro-ra, now I have to decide on a skill. I'm currently leaning to dodge, to make him harder to bring down. With the winnings from the game, I think I will also add another thro-ra as a backup ball carrier. Comments?
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You could get strong arm for the throw ra, then next skill accurate and you have a chance of making completions with him.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a few more skellies instead of a 2nd thro-ra for now.

Edit: and strong arm sounds good for your double.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Why have a reliable passer when there's no reliable receiver? Go either dodge or guard. (I'd go dodge)

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ignore those two: you don't want to be passing with Khemri. Dodge is an excellent choice. Smile
coalheart

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge I say

Coalheart's Blood bowl lair!
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge and buy blitz-ra.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac is the man who knows. I also agree, dodge.

I did however watch some of your first game vs orcs. I'd say you weren't aggressive enough. Look make as many positive blocks as possible. I.e. 3 dice with mummies and 2 dice with skeletons.

Also the game I saw you both had the ref. I'm not saying you should become a foul merchant, but he made so many mistakes in his first drive the door was open to you.
SkatKat

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mikhar (if needed Skellies can get sure hands on first skill to get that extra Thro Ra). Personally I would not put skellies on LoS (especially with no reserves), with AV7 they leave the pitch WAY too fast!
Welcome aboard Fummbl though Smile
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2008 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

From the two turns I've watched, your opponent sucks balls at this game. Offense be damned. Smile

Play with someone with a bit more experience so you get a better insight as to how this game works*. Spectate some matches, see what other people are doing. Ask in the spectator chat why coaches are playing this way or that - someone else might be so kind to explain. For now, work on the basics: do the non-dice moves first, try to get assists in and block with 2 dice or more, don't make unnecessary dodges or passes. Try to figure out how fouling works, and figure out time management (when to score and when not to score).

* That doesn't mean you should play unfair or unbalanced matches. Try to keep Team Rating and Team Strength differences to a minimum, unless you're involved in some sort of tournament.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2008 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, thanks for the feedback!
I did not foul because I considered that a friendly learning match, not an opportunity to maim another coach's team. I was however kinda worried for my skeletons when the ref went down in the first turn : )

I guess I'll try and PM some Academy Instructors or find someone on IRC willing to teach me a thing or to.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2008 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Athruien wrote:
Well, thanks for the feedback!
I did not foul because I considered that a friendly learning match, not an opportunity to maim another coach's team. I was however kinda worried for my skeletons when the ref went down in the first turn : )

I guess I'll try and PM some Academy Instructors or find someone on IRC willing to teach me a thing or to.

Most friendly games I've played involved team destruction. Besides, learning matches and maiming teams aren't mutually exclusive. Smile

The best thing you can do for your winning ratio is getting out of your the notion that this game is primarily about team development. It is primarily about winning, and one way of doing it is by stamping the other team into the mud.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2008 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Some phrases I agree with:
pac wrote:
you don't want to be passing with Khemri. Dodge is an excellent choice. Smile

harvestmouse wrote:
you should become a foul merchant

SkatKat wrote:
put skellies on LoS

torsoboy wrote:
figure out time management (when to score and when not to score).

torsoboy wrote:
It is primarily about winning, and one way of doing it is by stamping the other team into the mud.
 Jump to: