27 coaches online • Server time: 04:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hogshine wrote:
Spub, I only play in [A] to boost my ego. Sadly, I don't think my record there is much better than anywhere else... The newbs are better than they used to be Wink

Thats only because you used to be one of the newbs, now you've moved into the n00b category its unsuprising that the overall standard of newbs has gone up.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's great that experienced coaches devote a little time to playing newcomers in Academy; and I wish I were more patient with new players myself.

I do have an academy team, which I made in an overflowing of public spirit one day, but I haven't played it in months.

I find it hard, and consider it condescending (and maybe even against site rules), to not try as hard as I can to win once the game starts. After two games, I decided that if I was going to play any more in academy I was obviously going to have to make a much worse team than one with 9 hobgoblins, and I just never got around to it.

I'm willing to concede that there may be one or two coaches cherry-picking in academy...but I doubt it. As spubbbba points out, playing against rookies is slow and dull for an experienced coach.

If someone is hanging out there with 150 TR khemri, well...that's pretty lame.
Gracehoper

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk has won 60% of his games.

Dunk has scored 1.3 TDs pr. game against 0.8

Dunk has made 2 cas pr. game against 0.8.

Dunk needs to shut up and get a little perspective.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

common guys,

Stop giving him attention.
Let him go, let him go damned, let him goooooo
he must follow his own path.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I play academy as much as possible, and i try to win as well. but i also try to give a running commentary on what i'm doing and why, and also type STOP every now and then when my opponent is about to screw up, hopefully they will stop in time and i can explain what they're doing wrong.
G_Force

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

No-one said you had to play to loose. In fact i think if you don;t play to win then that's not really gonna help people to learn. I haven't played in [A] for a while now but i'm always in there when online and willing to help anyone who wants it.
I'll play to win in a game but i'm very willing to explain and discuss moves and options. I usually ask the other player what level of assistance they want.
    advice before they move
    comments on their actions after the fact
    just let them get on with it
    full explaination (running commentary if you like) of what i'm doing and why
    or just the chance for them to ask questions about stuff.

I tend to try and avoid fouling or crowdpushing but as they are both very important parts of the game i will point out any oppertunities and if the shot is left open too many times i'll drive the point home (with a boot or surf).

I am completely open about the strength of my current [A] teams which is why i've not had a game in a while, i should really get around to retiring or triming them some what. but Blatant bullying and powertripping to hammer a new guy with 150Khemri (or the like) is just wrong. I would say it does not teach them to avoid being picked but would turn many away from playing against a race which struggles to find games as it is or even worse turn them off from fumbbl all together. I would imagine the only thing it does teach them is that some people around here are nothing short of complete *insert word of choice here*.
I would much rather play slow games with 10 newbies that have to put up with 1 of these bullies.[/list]

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I prefer people coming asking specific questions about a team. I will spec a game they play, while I help every 2nd turn with tactical advise and spent the opponents turn pointing out what went wrong/totally wrong/just failed/worked out OK. By the feedback I got so far, that`s not the worst option. They 'break' situations and then I help to fix/salvage them. After a while, I just give advise twice a half, then twice a game and so on.

The only drawback is the fact, that it`s very timeconsuming.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Hmm.. when I read the opening post I though a coach who shall not be named here had crushed another rookie academy team with his TR150 khemri (as he did/does on a regular basis saying "it`s a learning experience so they don`t let themselves be picked!").

Then I saw the game stats.. then I saw the other stats... wtf?

im sure imerikol wouldnt mind you nameing him in the forum so why beat about the bush? just tell everyone who you meant......

... oh looks like ive done it for ya Wink

*cough* http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showstats=1&team_id=258817 *cough*
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

omg this guy is just sad...
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

"...consider our game to be a learning experience where I will be happy to show you some tricks and answer any questions you might have..."

the "tricks" he shows is: Dont play 4 mb 8 dp khemri with 30 TS less....... LOL
Colin

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hogshine wrote:
Slightly more on topic... I don't think there should be a limit on playing certain teams in Academy. If you have access to chat, you can go into #fumbblacademy, there's normally experienced coaches in there willing to help. Also, there was an Academy Helpers group or something similar, I'm sure Colin will read this thread soon enough if he has a link handy Wink It was set up to try and give slightly more structure to the learning process for people who wanted help, and the new players I had contact with through Academy when I was part of that certainly thought it helped teach them the game, and introduce them to the community.

Yup, I'm watching - the group in question is the Faculty of Academy Instructors which was set up to give some recognition to genuine instructors in Academy. I haven't been giving it enough of my time lately due to personal reasons, but it's not defunct.

Anyway, I think a certain 'code of conduct' for experienced coaches in Academy should include:

1. Don't initiate an obviously mismatched game (unless in the rookie's favour, in terms of teams), unless the rookie really insists, and even then, point out they very likely will be crushed. Then at least you can't say they weren't warned.

2. Don't go too easy on them - if you play sloppily, the rookie won't learn anything. That doesn't mean you should grind their team to dust, however.

3. Talk to them! Point out what they are doing wrong, try to get them thinking about their play. Also, write a few pertinent words in the match report, for reference. If a rookie approaches an experienced coach for help, they should expect to receive it, or at least be pointed in the right direction.

4. Spectate and replay matches - experienced coaches can provide critique after the game. This is useful when Academy matches are between two rookies (as was the case in the OPs post, though one was more a lapsed BB player).

5. Mentoring - learning this game is a long process, so try to track learners' progress, try to give them goals and point out areas to work on.

6. Remember that Academy is not a competitive league - it's about learning in a relaxed environment. It isn't just for rookies - more experienced coaches can knock off some rust or try new rosters, and help out some rookies while they do.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

7.) Run up the score and foul every turn

You forgot one Colin!

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk wrote:
Thanks for the comments with constructive critisism. They were appreciated.
The comment about me beeing a big girls blouse has really motivated me to play some more.
No not really.
It showed me I clearly do not belong here.
Pity, I really liked the game itself.
Goodbye

The big girls blouse Dunk

That was me I think!!! Please say it was! After over a year of trying I have finally achieved something of recognition on this site. From now on, I'm going to call everyone a 'big girls blouse' using the theory that if you throw enough shit, some must stick to the wall.

As to the comments about the ogre player playing like a gentleman. He always does. I've played him 4 times and I've watched another 7 games of his. He is a true gent.

Dunk truly couldn't have picked a worse game to say he had been cherry picked in.
Manbush

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk isn't replying to anyone, people, he's gone. Let this thread die and go pay homage to me on the bloodbowl god thread Smile

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
Pro511

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is extra funny because a majority of the time, in his academy games, he has a higher to much higher TR+TS, AND he's playing his orcs against elves lighter teams and bashing the heck out of them.

Games 25
Completions 4 16 -12 0.16
Touchdowns 31 19 12 1.24
Interceptions 0 0 0 0
Badly Hurts 32 7 25 1.28
Serious Injuries 14 7 7 0.56
Kills 2 4 -2 0.08
Passing 16 54 -38 0.64
Rushing 634 395 239 25.36
Blocks 1173 667 506 46.92
Fouls 28 19 9 1.12

I think the term "cherry pick" is an important and relevant term. Here it is clearly being misused. If what Dunk has done hasn't satisfied his desire to cherry pick then the only other option would be to find some other game he can play against a computer on some really easy level. Go print out a walkthrough and beat Zelda or something.