47 coaches online • Server time: 17:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 04:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I've played a lot of matches in Academy, primarily to help new players play their first match. It's hard to get started with that first match, when don't know what to click, or what is going to happen.

I worried a bit about the ethics of the matches I was playing. I didn't want to beat the daylights out of new players that had no idea what was going on. Neither did I want to be a pushover and have them get shocked by the transition to Ranked. I made myself a list of rules to play by.

1. Team Strength is restricted to 100 or so. Higher TR (in the form of cash) is great, since the newbie will receive handicaps.
2. If the newbie makes a bad misclick/mistake/oops, don't take advantage of it.
3. Fouling - it's okay to foul if the newbie has more players on the field than I do.
4. If up by two touchdowns, return the second half kickoff by throwing it into his half. Defend normally from that point.
5. Don't do unnecessary damage to the newbie's team. We have a heavily negative casualty difference.
6. No stalling.
7. Score if possible, but try to avoid running up the score.
8. Don't let the newbie score unless he earns it.

I try to help newbies out with some strategy, some fun chat, and answer any questions they have.
desdin

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

these sound like good general rules "teach a newbie how to play rules added with comments that will help them to learn from their mistakes and why, not just a beating" i will try to help also, even tho i am still a noob.
Wizard

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

/basking in FUMBBL community warmth

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk wrote:

I have had it, I play games for fun and beeing fooled and having my team (that I spent three hours fixing with images and such) totaly trashed in its second game is not my idea of fun. Im not comming back anytime soon. I know I wont be missed.../Dunk

LMAO!!!
Kinks

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Total Record: 16 / 10 / 9
Win Percentage: 60%

WTF? Who are you kidding?
badluck

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 06:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Has he gone yet?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizard wrote:
/basking in FUMBBL community warmth

1- The community isn't really expected to welcome losers and support them.

2- You haven't played a single academy game in your entire Fumbbl experience. If you are THAT worried about the newcomers' experience, stop being a smartass and go where your supreme sense of justice and your highly trained social skills are needed.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, after reading the posts on here i have changed my mind. I understand why players who have played a certain amount of game may still play every now and then in Academy.

I have the utmost respect for the coaches on here who go and help the newbies. But, as I said, there are players who play extremely fast and smash you and you aren't really learning anything. I have no idea why, it's weird, but they do it. That said, I think that there definitely needs to be a certain set of standards posted in the User guide about experienced coaches playing in Academy. Not rules as such, but guidelines.

And to the people who are saying "The OP's gone, stop giving him attention, let this thread die", why don't you f***ing read the posts properly?! The thread has moved on to something reasonably intelligent, something you've proved you are not.
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2008 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

B-Tron wrote:
I have the utmost respect for the coaches on here who go and help the newbies. But, as I said, there are players who play extremely fast and smash you and you aren't really learning anything. I have no idea why, it's weird, but they do it. That said, I think that there definitely needs to be a certain set of standards posted in the User guide about experienced coaches playing in Academy. Not rules as such, but guidelines.

I advise you to start a new thread on that subject since, as you note, continuing to discuss it here will tend to attract comment not relevant to the point you want to develop.
Wizard

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2008 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

@JanMattys:
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...