61 coaches online • Server time: 18:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Emrys

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason I'm struggling to understand half the team ratings on Fumbbl.

My understanding is that the second figure is the Team Strength and is based on the playing roster's value, any staff/rerolls you have and how much cash is in the bank. (If I've misunderstood this then I'm struggling with both halves of the rating).

It's the first figure that's puzzling me as it seems to rise and fall but doesn't seem to relate to actual match performance.

For example, my Rank Incompetents currently have a rating of 165/161.

If I'm reading the info in the match list correctly this rating went up from 163 to 171 when they lost against Lovely Ladies08 (who were rated at 158). I'd have expected my rating to fall if I lost against a weaker team. Have I misunderstood something?

I'm also surprised that a team that's only won 4 out of 14 games has a rating of 65 higher than when they started. Surely it should be way below 100 by now?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=86

Mighty powerful the Rulebook is.
Reading it might prove useful... and might also help quite a bit for that "4 wins in 14 games" thing... Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

TR is the FIRST figure, not the second, and you are correct that it is not related to match performance - it is purely related to the value of the team. Therefore if you don't lose a player in a match, your TR will increase due to gate money.

I could tell you the formual, but as Jan says, the rulebook defines it perfectly. Every user here is expected to have read (and owned) a rulebook.

FYI: It is the CR value which will rise and fall based on results (in [R] only).

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

none is expected to own a rulebook(LRB4), mine was the LRB2 so i am not excluded becouse of thath am i?
Just read it and it will be ok ... there are many images in it too ... but if you are not english i would propose you to find first one in your lenguage so it is easyer to understand too ... (i had problems with the english one first) and it is transleted to almost every language (just look at the funs of there first) ...
Emrys

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I do have the rulebook but thank Krytie for pointing out that I was looking at the wrong number.

The LRB team rating (LRB4) or team strength (LRB5) only provides one figure. Now that I'm looking at the correct figure I can now see how the "165" in my team's rating of "165/161" is calculated according to the LRB4 formula but am still struggling to see how a team with a win record of 4/2/8 can have a team ranking (not rating) over 150.
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

the first figure is Team Rating (TR) and is calculated according to the rulebook; the second figure is Team Strength (TS) and is calculated according to a complicated formula posted on fumbbl.com -- it does no more take match performance into account than TR, the main differences being that TS doesn't count gold or missing players and player value for TS is based on stats, skills and injuries rather than hiring price and SPP
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

First figure is TR, second figure is TS. Team strength is something FUMBBL came with and should not be confused with Team Value (LRB5). Where do you get the team ranking from, I don't know. Here on FUMBBL we only have a coach ranking which can be influenced by all your teams.

Ow and by the way, in ranked it is not allowed to play the same opponent over and over again as much as you do, the rule is once in every ten games.
Emrys

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that explanation, Woodstock.

We must have misunderstood the rule about playing friends too often. We'd been mixing up the teams to ensure variety (having clearly misunderstood the reference to "coach/team" - I'd assumed that if I had 3 teams and my friend had 3 teams that playing team A v his team A and then team B v his team B would be ok when I should really avoid playing any of his teams until I'd played another 9 games in Ranked). Sorry about that.

Now that I understand the intention I'll ensure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by Emrys on %b %18, %2008 - %20:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Emrys wrote:
Thanks for that explanation, Woodstock.

I must have missed the rule about playing friends too often. I'll ensure it doesn't happen again. Didn't exactly help me as I've only beaten the *.*.*. once. Smile

And here is the link to TS - just so you know that as well Smile

http://fumbbl.com/help:Strength

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
the rule is once in every ten games.

Is it really? I thought it was not to play twice in a row against the same coach... Not that it matters, but I haven't noticed that there was a "once in 10 games" limit.

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I've always been a bit fuzzy about the 1/10 rule.

Does it mean literally that after I play a game vs a friend, I must plan 9 more games before I play another? Or can I play him more often as long as the number of games played vs him is 1/10 of my total games?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a loose rule. Let's say I play you, we have a blast, then 6 games later I play a different team of yours - fine.

If we play 3 times in 20 games... Just about OK. If we're playing every other game, trouble!

If you average out at 1/10 over a decent period of time, it's fine. The rule is there to stop abuse, and is worded greyly on purpose so that coaches that are having fun and not cheating don't get into trouble. As long as you aren't seeking an unfair advantage, or only playing your buddy, you've got nothing to worry about.
Mastergabber

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2008 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Team Rating
The first number. Computed as described in LRB 4. Starts with 100, and hopefully grows after each match. Only if you lose or retire players, your team rating will drop. It will drop a few too when you buy a new reroll. A FF decrease does not drop the teamrating unless you conceded the match. Otherwise it is compensated by the MVP. Difference in Team Rating does trigger handicaps.

Team Strength
The second number. Computation based more on how strong the team actually is. Should have been around the same as the team rating and increases and decreases with the team rating, but ageing/serious injuries and/or nice New Skill rolls or good/bad skill picking makes the team strength differ. Not every player is always counted fully. Only in teams with 12 or 13 players each player is counted in full strength. Difference in team strength does not trigger handicaps, but games with a TS difference between the two teams of 40 or more will not be reported.

Coach Ranking
Something completely different, what starts at 150. It will increase when you win and decrease when you lose. The speed of that, and what happens when there is a draw, depends on the difference in team strengths, the difference in coach rankings, and racial odds. The by many coaches hated "cherrypickers" often play games in which they are likely to win, but since that is expected, their coach ranking increases slowly when they win, but decreases fast when they don't win. The 'Law of Holding the Numbers' applies: After each match the sum of the coach rankings of both coaches are equal to their sum before the game started.

I hope you now are informed well about the different rankings.
 Jump to: