30 coaches online • Server time: 01:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Backlash522 wrote:
I'm playing Halflings and Khemri as my 2 B teams.. got a skill with my flings and decided to wait to get it until after next activation so I could get a game with the Khemri.. seems to work that way... course you don't want to leave all your teams with skill selections .. but for the time being u can try it that way to play your other teams.

I agree with Circularlogic, this sounds like a bug. When I had a skill pending, I could not activate my blackbox teams.
Backlash522

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I certainly did not think it would be exploiting a bug grom, and would not do so for personal gain.. was just wondering if it could be possible.. but hey i appreciate the flame:) and just so ya know not everyone is out to beat the system and use bugs to their advantage.. some of us would rather win without cheating of anykind. just my opinion..
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

BBox = more games for me. Thanks Christer!
Emrys

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I enjoyed my first day in the box. The fact that I lost all three matches 1-0 (Human v Nurgle, Human v Ogre, Norse v Ogre) suggests that the pairings are pretty good. That said, none of my teams now has 11 players. Nothing new there, then. Smile

If I were prone to overenthusiasm I might suggest that - IMHO - this is how Gamefinder should work ... but I suspect that'd need a wholly different thread.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I liked B today. Played nine matches in a day, which is a lot more than I can usually play due to annoying waiting periods. Only one game was truly lost for good before it started, other than that, the matchups were not always balanced but manageable.

It has been pointed out that that most teams are bashy. PurpleChest posed the question in spec chat what it should be tell us that people gave DP as their very first skill, and not, say, Sure Hands. I don't think this tells us something about Fumbbl, Blackbox, or the coaches, but only about Bloodbowl. DP is imbalanced. Ridiculously, at that.

However:

- Instances where DP destroys an opp team are totally rare. This isn't likely.
- DP doesn't necessarily improve chances to win. It's mostly a deterrent, or a means, but not a match winner.

There was a blog somewhere about where someone (I don't remember) concocted a lengthy text about supposed similarities between ecosystems, game theory, and bashers/DP in B. Now, I think we can agree that his line of argument represented a logical stretch at best, but it touches an important issue: Self-regulation. Teams which get kicked out of the FUMBBL Cup aren't destroyed by it, and in the end this is all we have to reach for as a comparison. SMACK teams aren't ridiculously beating each other up all the time, and B is in my opinion lots more fair than SMACK could ever be.

My point is that I think 1.) it is unreasonable to assume we can as of yet make a qualified assessment of the prevalent mentality in B (great sentence by the way, haha), and 2.) I don't think it is even fair to say that B 'might' have a worse attitude in comparison to R. When I played R, it was stupid not to have a DP. Granted, I have a couple of teams there without; but they actually tend to get games less easily than my team with DP, since I most certainly won't play 3 DPs without any! All that B does is take all this to a more general level, but its the same regardless. Having personal qualms with DP is personal sense of aesthetics, weird morality or stupidity.

When I started playing here, few people chose DP as a skill. 90% of the teams didn't have any, and people who had it were frowned upon and rarely got games.

This seems have changed, aye? Go with the flow.

edit:
I just reread my entry, and it looks suspiciously like a defence of blanket DP. It's not meant like that. DP strategies are not elegant, and do nothing to advance victory in itself; they only reduce resistance.

I don't mean to per se defend massive fouling - all I'm saying is that if everyone plays to win (which, lets be honest, excludes Khemri, because it's *very* hard to actually _win_ (as in: more touchdowns) the game with them) then all will work out perfectly in the end by necessity through its total competition. Qualms with B become strictly personal.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

urgh....can we please curb the "DP is borked!!!" comments in this thread, before it dwindles into something that is nowhere near related to the topic?

if you feel like DP is borked, please make another of the million threads related to the discussion, and keep this on topic...

it's one of the important threads that's a good depository for people's viewpoints on B and how to make sure the division gets off the ground and out of alpha...

--j

ImageImage
treborius

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Gromrilram wrote:
Backlash522 wrote:
I'm playing Halflings and Khemri as my 2 B teams.. got a skill with my flings and decided to wait to get it until after next activation so I could get a game with the Khemri.. seems to work that way... course you don't want to leave all your teams with skill selections .. but for the time being u can try it that way to play your other teams.

wow, thumbs up! you found a weak spot to abuse! want an award?

Since its in testing this kind of thing is important...

Hi all,

just browsed through the Black-Box - threads and found this (above).

I have 2 teams in Black-Box as of today:

1 Undead, ts around 140 (5 games)
1 Ogre, ts = 75 (0 games)

It seems very unlikely to (regularly) ever get a game with my Ogres without retiring my Undead, so I was thinking about how to manage getting a game.

The above (by Backlash) seems like a good solution, but it's beeing called cheating (or abuse, at least) - why would it be abuse?

It's not giving you any advantage over your opponents, does it?

And if (for some reason) it is abuse / cheating, is it intentional that I would very rarely (if at all) be able to play my <<100ts-team rather than my ts-around-150-team?

Another approach someone has hinted at in my blog is that it's possible to activate the 2nd team while still playing the 1st - of course both opponents would have to agree, but I'm thinking it should be possible to wait for a good opportunity, where the 1st team has only 2 or 3 turns left in one game and the activation period has just started, so that parallel play would be reduced to 1 or 2 turns, only...

What do you guys think about this?

For the record: Just asking some questions, so please keep it civilized even if you think that one or both of the possible ways to get games with a <<100-ts-team are to be considered abuse / cheating Wink
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the system now checks for skills on other teams before allowing you to activate, but I'm not sure about this. Your Ogres will soon manage to get some beat up elves or something to eat Very Happy
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

imo, the problem isn't allowing coaches to select which teams they want to activate, because people will find ways to manipulate that....

i think the better solution is coding in a method to get a decent balance on coaches with multiple teams, so one team doesn't get everything, and the other sits idle...

--j

ImageImage
treborius

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

i got bad news for all those who are playing some odd team (with an unusual ts)...

...apparently the matching-algorithm doesn't exclude teams, that are pending for skills - at least i just got scheduled with my Undead although they had unresolved skill-rolls and my Ogres didn't get to play again.

so far, i haven't been able to play my Ogres at all and it seems like it's supposed to just work that way. i don't understand why, but it sure makes Black-Box an unattractive divison for me - despite my enthusiasm in the beginning.

i could live with getting random matchups for all of my teams in one division (although i don't see a point in not allowing to activate single teams) as long as there were about equal chances for any team, but when i look at all the teams that are playing in Black-Box at a given point in time the ts-distribution looks to me like it would take at least 100 trials to even get 1 game with ts=75 Ogres if you have ts=150 Undead - and that sucks big time Sad
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
i got bad news for all those who are playing some odd team (with an unusual ts)...

...apparently the matching-algorithm doesn't exclude teams, that are pending for skills - at least i just got scheduled with my Undead although they had unresolved skill-rolls and my Ogres didn't get to play again.

so far, i haven't been able to play my Ogres at all and it seems like it's supposed to just work that way. i don't understand why, but it sure makes Black-Box an unattractive divison for me - despite my enthusiasm in the beginning.

i could live with getting random matchups for all of my teams in one division (although i don't see a point in not allowing to activate single teams) as long as there were about equal chances for any team, but when i look at all the teams that are playing in Black-Box at a given point in time the ts-distribution looks to me like it would take at least 100 trials to even get 1 game with ts=75 Ogres if you have ts=150 Undead - and that sucks big time Sad

I had this same problem, but of the last 3 games, 2 have been with my Ogres, they are about TS100, and future looks brighter.
Patience seems to work (but a little tweak would be great, nevertheless)
mightyblow

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:

Well, my ogres got scheduled constantly from the beginning, so I doubt that.
 Jump to: