30 coaches online • Server time: 00:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I don't think that "TS is miscalculated for low TR flings, but this advantage makes up for the troubles they'll find at high TRs" is the right approach to the problem Sillysod arised.

I think in a Blackbox enviroment, if and when a Halfling team does reach higher TR, they will have to spend a large amount of their income keeping the team going, so will have less to spend on Chefs.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The formula has already been tweaked somewhat. It looks like the issue with DP not being accounted for and single skill halflings being the same TS as ordinary halflings has been fixed. The chef costing has also been changed from 5TS to a much more accurate of 10TS. I think that the TS is now definately better than it was but could still do with further tweaks.

I percieve it as now having two problems:

- Multiple skills on one halfling leads to them being massively over-rated. A two skill fling is rated at 60k which is over double what a single skill fling is rated at, it also identical to the rating of a halfling with just +AG... all of which is ridiculous, two ordinary skills on a halfling is nowhere near that useful. This means that sensible halfling coaches will just fire halflings with two ordinary skills but it will also make it much harder to recover a failing halfling team (who maybe cant afford to fire players and is stuck playing against much stronger teams than they should be).

- Halflings could probably afford to be a slightly higher TS overall, depending on how much the racial statistics are taken into account when the matchup is determined. Giving all stunties a blanket +0.5TS and I think the TS formula would be bang on for both halflings and starting goblins.

That said, I think the TS is definately much improved from what it was.

Quote:
While flings are undervalued at low scores (i'd say at up to 130-ish ts) when they reach the level where their opponents have say 13 players, a few with block, some mb etc they cannot compete on equal terms.

Halflings should never get above 130TS unless they hire multiple chefs and deeproot and a good blackboxer has zero reason to risk facing such a developed team. In any case the issue is that they are not correctly costed by the TS formula. The fact that they are overcosted at levels above 130TS is another thing that needs fixing, it just isnt as high a priority as stopping teams from being stompified as soon as they meet halflings.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The TS with Halfings is relative though. Once you go against a few teams with block, tackle, and mighty blow they are done.
kn00b

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The TS with Halfings is relative though. Once you go against a few teams with block, tackle, and mighty blow they are done.

Those teams will have TS much greater than 130, which means blackbox halfers will never play them.
Khaan

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

A fresh dwarf or cd team, perhaps even a norse one, will do the trick nicely.

The Boyz
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Khaan wrote:

Do not think so. With 11 players and 0 rrs against. 14-15 players halfling team with ~2 dp with ts ~100. I really doubt it. Of course you can get lucky, but so can anyone.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem as I see it (I'm feeling very inspired tonight) is very difficult.

Is the TS too low for better skilled coaches...yes.

Is the TS too low for lower skilled coaches....hell no!

Where most races are the same team no matter how skilled you are, halfings certainly are not. They are the scalpel to the skill and the fluffy toy to the unskilled, this I am learning and I am sure it is the same for many unskilled coaches.

Therefore ts is very difficult. I do feel though, when finding a game no matter what race, I like to go somewhere in the middle of ts and tr. TS sometimes is woefully imbalanced, not just for flings.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

kn00b wrote:
Quote:

Those teams will have TS much greater than 130, which means blackbox halfers will never play them.

But if you change the TS they would. And as of right now if you match on TS then the Halfings will give up a ton of handicaps, though I know there is talk of taking that out.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Mateuszzzzzz wrote:
Khaan wrote:

Do not think so. With 11 players and 0 rrs against. 14-15 players halfling team with ~2 dp with ts ~100. I really doubt it. Of course you can get lucky, but so can anyone.

Yeah and throw in there a Treeman with Pass and 2 halfings with +AG...
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Using SillySod as an example all of his matches were very close on TS. The game he lost had 5 TS higher.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=508307
 Jump to: