72 coaches online • Server time: 21:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2009 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently 4 of the top10 haven`t played a match in [B] for more than a month. Shouldn`t they be excluded from the top 10 list? Or should there be some kind of ranking decay?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2009 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Decay dosent sound so great because it restricts the top rankings to people who can play [B] alot. Personally I'd like people to not show on the list unless they played a [B] game within the last two weeks.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2009 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

depends on how you do the decay. Take the old bnet system for example. If a coach doesn`t play a game within 2 weeks, he loses x points of BWR per week he doesn`t play, which is evenly distributed among all coaches active in that period. You could say each week begins on monday, so sunday night at midnight, decay is calculated and distributed. Decay continues until a certain BWR threshold is reached (150 eg., but could be higher). That way, noone has to play alot to get up - you just have to play at least every 2 weeks in order not to lose points. The exact amount of loss, the number of games needed to be played and the time period remain to be specified.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2009 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Circ' but when I proposed a decay in R it wasn't implemented so I suppose that Christer preferes simply not to show them in the list. Maybe it's simply easier to implement.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
ok, i've trimmed my skaven to 138/133 (undead are still 137/134) and we'll see what happens next round...

...needless to say that i'll make the undead my preferred team, again Wink

...i also have not played my ogres for almost 35 games, though i rarely got to play the one i activated

...it's all very puzzling Wink

EDIT: well, i played 7 more games till now - neither my Undead nor my Skaven got drawn again (though i've activated my Undead every time)...
...i'll know more (and post) when either team gets drawn by the scheduler

ok, today (after a further 5 games, making it 12 games, total) i got to play one of the teams again.
of course it was the skaven, again! this time they didn't have exactly equal tr/ts, but i only managed
to make it 138/133 (skaven) and 137/134 (undead).
now, after activating my undead for 12 consecutive rounds the skaven get chosen again.

this time the oppo is CD at 138/130 - i really don't understand why the scheduler chose the skaven over
the undead, again - of course it's a better matchup, but only by 1 TS - if your activation of preferred team
doesn't even favor your preferred team at the cost of 1 TS miss-match, what does it do at all?

i've also checked the racial tables, the two matchups would have produced almost identical numbers:
50.42% (in favor of the Skaven) and 50.85% (in favor of the Undead) - i think, the only answer to what's
puzzling me is, there is no preference to the team that got activated as preferred whatsoever (or if there is,
then it is absolutely meaningless in reality Razz )

bad news for those who favor playing certain teams at certain times Sad

having said that, i even have another suggestion: currently teams with low AV are favored (possibly to
make the Box more popular Wink ) - reason why i'm suspecting this is, that i have 2 more teams which
would have been even closer match-ups for those CD:

1. Orc at 146/132 with racial-modifier: 50.46
2. High Elf at 139/132 with racial-modifier: 51.29

you might want to rule out 2., because of the slightly higher racial-modifier (but i would argue even that),
but as far as 1. is concerned, that one clearly would have been the best choice, because it's only 0.04%
more likely to win according to the racial-modifier, but it is 1 TS closer to the oppo than the skaven Wink

(obviously +1TS > +0.04% winning chance Wink )
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't the scheduler do a certain number of passes by assigning random matchups, then select the one with the highest suitability?

If that's the case, your undead simply weren't selected during the pass where the suitability was maximum.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It`s true, the scheduler generates 3 lists of matchups:
1) The scheduler starts with the highest siutability and then matches downward.
2) The scheduler starts with the best matchup for the coach that has submitted the worst choice for other coaches and works upward.
3) Random coch is picked and matched with his best siutability - then another random coach is picked and so on.

After all 3 lists are generated, the one with the best average siutability is used.

But after so many trials, it`s very unlikely, that there were sufficient random factors to overcome the preferred team bonus.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
But after so many trials, it`s very unlikely, that there were sufficient random factors to overcome the preferred team bonus.

Pardon?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

One or two times, it could be well possible, that the random factors involved in matchmaking outweigh the preference you can set by activating your preferred team. That this happens twelve time in a row is very unlikely.
treborius

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

CL - sorry, i don't understand how the scheduler works, really...

CircularLogic wrote:
It`s true, the scheduler generates 3 lists of matchups:
1) The scheduler starts with the highest siutability and then matches downward.

ok, sounds reasonable (except for that it doesn't include the factor "preferred team")

CircularLogic wrote:
2) The scheduler starts with the best matchup for the coach that has submitted the worst choice for other coaches and works upward.

i don't get this part, what's the "worst choice for other coaches" and so on? Confused

CircularLogic wrote:
3) Random coch is picked and matched with his best siutability - then another random coach is picked and so on.

i think from what i've written before it should be clear, that in cases 1 and 3 - there would've been a better matchup of my team with another team of the exact same coach that i got matched with - so i doubt it was working according to one of those cases (as far as i understand), but i really don't get how case 2 is supposed to work Sad

in neither of the 3 cases you've given "preferred team" seems to be of any relevance - is that intended?
treborius

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2009 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
One or two times, it could be well possible, that the random factors involved in matchmaking outweigh the preference you can set by activating your preferred team. That this happens twelve time in a row is very unlikely.

it's happened 25 times in a row by now, actually Sad

and yes, i'm absolutely certain i've activated my undead each and every game after the one that's 26 divB-games in the past Wink
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 07:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While were raiseing old threads i was wondering how the box chooses which coach will miss the game due to uneven number of signups.

Was wondering if it randomly selected a coach to miss the game or if it selects the most unusable coach from the matchups.

Last night i activated with 5 teams in the box spanning from 109/105 - 175/164 now i cant believe the bot couldnt find a matchup in there somewhere.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 08:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

And while im ranting any chance of pm'ing everyone in the box room at the 5 minuit warning. So many people miss the draw due to not seeing the time.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
And while im ranting any chance of pm'ing everyone in the box room at the 5 minuit warning. So many people miss the draw due to not seeing the time.

No spam please.
If it would do that, you would see a massive leave from the BBox room, just what i think.
treborius

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:
jarvis_pants wrote:

No spam please.
If it would do that, you would see a massive leave from the BBox room, just what i think.

i agree, that would be spam

still, i've missed quite a number of rounds, because at say 9:50 i figured i could post another msg in the forums and 11 mins later i find, that it's too late, already Sad

so maybe it would be kool when the bot didn't just (quietly) say 5mins left - please activate, but would say 5mins left - please activate coach1, coach2 .. coach87, that way your mailbox wouldn't get spammed, but you'd still be highlighted on irc Smile

even with 100 coaches that msg shouldn't be longer than 6 or 7 lines (depending on length of coach-names), so really quite doable, i think Smile
 Jump to: