14 coaches online • Server time: 06:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Emrys

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been following the [B] threads with interest but am confused by the impression I've picked up that [B] is for the more experienced/skilled coaches.

I can fully understand that it makes sense for Alpha and Beta tests to involve experienced coaches but it strikes me that a division that guarantees a fair match would be very suitable for less able coaches (such as myself).

I'm not aware of having been cherrypicked in [R] (and am not particularly bothered if I have been) and hope I've learned a little something from each savage beating my teams have taken. My tabletop games have definitely improved since joining FUMBBL. I'm sure that I would learn even more from games against an evenly matched team under the control of an expert coach.

Have I misunderstood the "target audience"?

If so I apologise for wasting your time with this thread.

If not, however, could someone explain why [B] is intended for experienced coaches only?

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree... I think BBox is excellent for all players as it means you may get a match that you wouldnt normally take.

I think elf ballers having to play Dwarves and Khemri means that they improve their play by having to use different techniques...

All of us have favoured races (I personally like Dwarves and Nurgle) but I encourage everyone to play all sorts of races and accept the sometimes "scary" match ups that you wouldnt normally get.

So in short, I think BBox will lift the coaching standard in fumbbl across the board - old and new players.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason I can see is that (afaik), matchups are done purely on the team strength, and don't take into account coaching ability. While the teams may be even, or close to it, it doesn't actually mean that the match will actually be even.

Give it a shot anyway I reckon, you will quite likely come up against some very good coaches, but there's nothing wrong with that Smile

Edit: Gromrilram says below that this is wrong, and I have no reason to doubt him - chances are I have no idea what I'm talking about! Feel free to ignore this post completely Smile

Last edited by Laviak on %b %13, %2008 - %12:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My nugget of wisdom is that certain skills / traits that are not as useful in ranked all of a sudden become interesting. For example, with the amount of high strength teams around, it makes sense for elves to at least consider dauntless on doubles.
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
The only reason I can see is that (afaik), matchups are done purely on the team strength, and don't take into account coaching ability. While the teams may be even, or close to it, it doesn't actually mean that the match will actually be even.

Give it a shot anyway I reckon, you will quite likely come up against some very good coaches, but there's nothing wrong with that Smile

wow hats just wrong^^ matchups are done NOT only on TS, but on a formula thats not public.

the reason why i think most coaches that play [B] are more experienced is that thats the ones that pushed the implemention forth and now play with their new toy.
imho ranked is still the better learning ground for really new coaches after some 30 maches [B] might be a good addition

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

[B] is for everyone except cherrypickers. I luvs it. I know it's making me better.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the only problem i could see is that a new coach might get a bad match up or start taking a beating so disconnect.

This then leaves the other coach in limbo as they can't play any Blackbox games until this is sorted and if there are no admins about this could take some time.

Of course people who do this will get weeded out, but a ban is less of a punishment to a new guy than a vet.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies. I'm delighted that I'd clearly misunderstood the intention and this makes me very happy.

Right. Time to make a [B] team or two ...

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Gromrilram - I didn't actually intend to say that only TS is taken into account ... obviously the racial tables are taken into account as well, and there are probably more things as well. What I did mean is that I don't think (and I must admit that I don't know what I'm talking about, so it's only a guess) that CR, or any measure of coaching ability is taken into account - the aim being for the teams involved in the match to be even. I may well be completely wrong though.

nin

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think BBox is for "experienced coaches" in the same line as [A]cademy is for "unexperienced" ones.

In [A]cademy, experienced coaches are suposed to give help and advice to the new ones, but BBox is a competitive division with no leniency ([A]cademy matches don't count for many things, like win%)

But if you allready felt confortable with [R]anked play then you are probably experienced enougth for the BBox.

On a side note, open play where you pick your opponent can go easier on unexperienced coaches that have more difficulty making succesfull teams that survive.
Emrys

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

You're not kidding about no leniency - 2 RIPs in my first game followed by 2 niggles in my second. I knew I should have bought an apo! Laughing

It's been good fun, though, in spite of the losses. I don't think I'll be spending much time in [R] from now on (not that I have in the past).

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to play a Black Box game in under an hour so I can quickly activate my teams for the next round... Sometimes less experienced coaches take a lot longer... But at the end of the day, having to wait 30 minutes tops for the next round isn't exactly dreadful!

Jump to: