51 coaches online • Server time: 16:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

congratulations for playing [B] for the completely *WRONG* reasons...

Thats from Shadow46x2 in another thread.

It started me wondering wether i was playing [B] for the right reasons, and why others were playing [B]

The reasons im playing there are:

1: Its new
2: To help Christer test it
3: I get instant games
4: I have often spent hours on gamefinder with 0 offers and getting 20+ rejections. [B] avoids that.

I wonder if these are the right reasons, or if i too am playign [B] for the wrong reasons?

So, what are the right reasons? And why are YOU playing [B] div games?

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Quote:

congratulations for playing [B] for the completely *WRONG* reasons...

Thats from Shadow46x2 in another thread.

It started me wondering wether i was playing [B] for the right reasons, and why others were playing [B]

The reasons im playing there are:

1: Its new
2: To help Christer test it
4: I have often spent hours on gamefinder with 0 offers and getting 20+ rejections. [B] avoids that.

I wonder if these are the right reasons, or if i too am playign [B] for the wrong reasons?

So, what are the right reasons? And why are YOU playing [B] div games?

The reasons you gave, and also to get all the unexpected matchups that are almost impossble in ranked, either due to me or oppo feeling cherrypicked. I did a few seasons in F, and the best part was getting rediculous matchups and doing the best of what you got. Smile
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

All good reasons in my view... Also the "couldn't care less" attitude about playing to win... returning to enjoying the game and forgetting rubbish like CR.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I play [B] for exactly the same reason I play [L]eague and Smacks. I like being matched against another team, then have to try and find the best way to overcome them. The randomness of the match ups really does make me think I am testing myself at the game.

Also, I have played various Smacks, with various teams even though my Rats and Lizards get splatted every time they try, but there is such a long time between these games. With [B] you really do get right into the action, so I am moving towards copying my [R]anked teams in [B]lackbox.

One interesting thing I have noticed so far seems to be the level of coaches in [B]. Most of the good coaches are playing [B]lackbox, and the majority of the average coaches seem to have stayed in [R]anked. With myself being maybe a little better than average it does really push my game to it's limits.
Manbush

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I started playing blackbox for pretty much the same reasons as Purplechest. I continue to play for these additional reasons:

1. coaches who activate teams for a round of play know what they're getting into. This eliminates the "I'll refuse your game offer cos I'm hoping for an easier matchup"
2. the atmosphere in the games and in the channel is fun and enjoyable, which are the reasons most of us play games in the first place.
3. a Dwarf-halfling matchup is possible (try getting that in Ranked Smile )

Thanks to Christer for creating this wonderful new feature, it's great to see people really having fun with this Smile

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Manbush wrote:

That is absolutely no problem. Make a halfling team and go and challenge a dwarven team. I bet you`ll get a game very quickly.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I play it to not have to wait hours to not get a game. Also since you really don't have to wait forever it doesn't matter what happens.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

1- I have little time to play, and Blackbox is quicker.

2- I have little time to play so I want every game to be enjoyable, and Blackbox provides fairly fair challenges on a much more regular basis than the average R offer

3- All the cool guys do it, and I want to be accounted among the cool guys

4- Blackboxing with humans makes me feel like I have the moral highground on all the Orc-Khemri-Dwarf-Undead blackboxers, and I get a pretty good ego boost from that

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

All the abobe with my Bbox Ogres (I simply can't make Ogres work in [R]anked, and I've allways thougth they are quite fun to play (very fun to play against too))

With the Skaven I 'll add:
Because I'll probably get shofter and more balanced games than I use to in [R]anked, without need for cherripicking or elfballing Razz
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

Hazah! I vote 3 and 4!
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Manbush wrote:

That is absolutely no problem. Make a halfling team and go and challenge a dwarven team. I bet you`ll get a game very quickly.

Sadly you often have to challenge up TS by quite a bit to bait the dorfs in Sad

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chewie

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in [B] because i got bored of fighting off the vultures in [R].

In [B], you have the majority of the coaches that i find it fun to play against... and if you have a good idea that you'll have a good time, you are a lot less annoyed by facing orcs /dwarfs/ khemri with a pro elf team. Smile
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Sadly you often have to challenge up TS by quite a bit to bait the dorfs in Sad

Flings are undervalued by TS anyways.. so bait away!
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I know... but people keep telling me I'm wrong... how can I lose both ways? Sad (disclaimer: I havent tried baiting dwarfs since their TS was modified)

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Back on topic...
1) I wanted to find out how much I`m picking in [R] by comparing my performance in [B] and [R]. (my [B] % is better - check!)
2) I wanted to beat shadow in scoring the first [B] game ever (check!)
3) I wanted to swim with the cool fish (check!)

Hmm.. got everything from [B] I wanted.. guess it`s time to go back to [R].
 Jump to: