32 coaches online • Server time: 13:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want BR in the Formula?
Yes - And if it is removed, I will likely leave Blackbox
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes - But I would play Blackbox regardless
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
No - But I would play Blackbox regardless
39%
 39%  [ 91 ]
No - And if it remains, I will likely leave Blackbox
20%
 20%  [ 48 ]
Unsure - I have not decided, or do not understand BR
12%
 12%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 230

DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

A quick poll, just to get the general view of the people playing in [B].

This is not likely to change Christer's mind, nor do we even know that BR affects the match-ups given by the system, but I wanted to get an idea of the views of the masses.

The belief is (unconfirmed), that your Blackbox Rating will change your match up, so if you have a BR of say 160 and play a BR of say 140, you will have to give up a significant TS advantage for the game.

The end result I think, is to bring all games to a 50/50 chance of winning, regardless of race, opponent level and TS.

The question is, would you prefer the 50% match up, or would you like coaches to be matched just on TS/Race, with their BR then showing their true Bloodbowl rating?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer a matchup based on race and ts only. If I am a bad coach, I need to improve, not to get easier opponents.

But I consider myself an average bbowler, so it doesn't really influence my DivB experience much...

ps: also it's quite important the weight it has in the equation... the more it is, the less likely I am to accept it as a good thing.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree Jan, I would put myself somewhere around slightly above average, but if I go on a good run, I don't want to be giving up a huge TS advantage. On the flip side, if the dice go against me for a few gams, I don't want to suddenly get 25 TS against someone I would normally have a good balance game against.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

i like to think i'm a little above average.

But see absolutely no reason why i shouldn't be offered balanced games becuase of this.

Now would i want or seek any advantage over the coaches that are better than me.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to think I am well below average and love to get some TS advantage. Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If there is a championship I wouldn't mind championship standing being used.

i.e. we all start even at the beginning of the month but the big dogs are more likely to clash towards the end of the month.

PurpleChest wrote:
i like to think i'm a little above average.

I guess it's a while since you checked your profile Wink

I have no problem with including or not including BR but PurpleChest vs AverageCoach in balanced game looks a lot like a cherrypick to me Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if you play a broken team your br will go up due to you winning a lot of games (multi dp khemri, multi dp dwarfs , UD that brings the count along, flings vs broken teams ect) and then it is only fair that you should get a little harder games. Not saying that there should be +30 in ts difference but 10 or so seems fair.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I have no problem with including or not including BR but PurpleChest vs AverageCoach in balanced game looks a lot like a cherrypick to me Smile

Koadah, the thing is that the GAME is balanced. Purplechest is just better.
And if you are a worse coach, by playing on equal teams you lose but grow more skilled with time, while playing with a upper hand might give you some wins and the feeling that "you are not that bad after all".

I would honestly shake my head at a Chess pairing system that makes me play against a good player who is taken away his rooks...

Hell, what's this politically correctness? If you're worse than someone, you swallow your pride and get better by learning. You don't ask for artificial ways to play on even ground... Especially if there's nothing other than "skill" that separates you from a better coach. It's not like you're use-impaired at playing bb... it's just that you're not as experienced and skilled *yet*.

(ps: *you* is used in its general meaning here, and is not referring to Sir Koadah who would probably pwn me on the bloodbowl pitch anyway ^_^)

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

RC wrote:
Well if you play a broken team your br will go up due to you winning a lot of games (multi dp khemri, multi dp dwarfs , UD that brings the count along, flings vs broken teams ect) and then it is only fair that you should get a little harder games. Not saying that there should be +30 in ts difference but 10 or so seems fair.

A multi-dp khemri is hardly a winning choice on Blackbox (assuming an equal spread of opponents)

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
RC wrote:

A multi-dp khemri is hardly a winning choice on Blackbox (assuming an equal spread of opponents)

Well I disagree, unless I am playing Dorfs, orcs or blodge elves I will lose 2 players every turn (k.o, cas).

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

A good coach playing vs. a bad coach on otherwise equal terms is a distinctive advantage to the good coach.

Is that what the blackboxers want?

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

RC wrote:
Well I disagree, unless I am playing Dorfs, orcs or blodge elves I will lose 2 players every turn (k.o, cas).

It may feel dangerous to your team but khemri (even with many DPs) have a very difficult time winning.

You don't see them winning any majors for a reason.
Mattybee

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's a distinct advantage because that coach has more skill, I don't see why not.

I wouldn't mind BR remaining in, but only as a VERY SLIGHT modifier, if that. TR and TS and other hidden factors should play a much greater role in it than BR. Like if I have CoachA, CoachB, CoachZ, and CoachX - A and B are very good, Z and X are average - if A and B are still fairly close with their teams and Z and X are fairly close even though, say, Z vs A and B vs X would be better - okay, sure, match them up instead. But don't give wild TR/TS bonuses to poorer coaches, if that makes sense?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
A good coach playing vs. a bad coach on otherwise equal terms is a distinctive advantage to the good coach.

Is that what the blackboxers want?

Why not?
Blackbox is not a learning playground, where worse coaches get tutored into getting better. It's just pure bb, two guys meet, one guy loses and one wins.

The Blackbox bot imho is there just to make sure that the pairing grants equal teams. After that, it's up to coaches skills. And if one is better than the other, then why shouldn't he win?

At the Olympics, the Dream Team doesn't get a smaller basket when facing France or England, *to make it harder to score and to even things a bit"...

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
At the Olympics, the Dream Team doesn't get a smaller basket when facing France or England, *to make it harder to score and to even things a bit"...

I have to admit this sounds like it would be totally awesome to watch.
 Jump to: