30 coaches online • Server time: 10:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin, just report that game.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It is already reported, a long time ago Wink
xcver

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:

This is a truly babyish concession. After 3 turns 3 mummies had been cas'd but 2 had regenned and the other was just MNG. Chaos had a CW and a beasty in the BH box in the meantime. No permanent injuries and still plenty to play for - khemri still had the ball and it was turn _THREE_.
I hate to see weak concessions in blackbox. What happened to needing admin approval for concessions? (was away from FUMBBL for 6 months)

I don't care about the gamestate or the concession, it's about the scheduled match for which I was wondering if it is any good.

pythrr wrote:
xcer, CR has nowt to do with BR - BR is earned in the the box, not the result of cherrypicking. Very Happy

and its 24 TS, modified to 14 by the handicaps.

I do know that CR is not relevant but rather BR/BBR that's also why I wrote that the Chaos team had a much better Win, TD and CAS ratio, so in my book that clearly looks like IT should be playing down in TS not the other way around...

Chaos made more cas per game and received less cas per game. Same is true for Touchdowns. I just can't see a fair scheduling in a team with a higher BR/BBR playing 14TS (after Handicap adjustment) down...

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, khemri conceeding because of the possibility of players getting hurt. That's just weak. So it's ok for the khemri to bash up other teams, but the minute they see a bashy opponent on the other side of the pitch they conceed? Bah... Take it like a man...

Just watched the replay too... I'll rephrase that... It wasnt weak, it was VERY weak...
arv9673

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
I'm wondering how this match adds up with the scheduler:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2439283

Chaos vs Khemri

Chaos up 29 in TS with a better win record, more TD's and more cas. Ranked rating for the Chaos coach is 12 points higher.

Sounds like an inherently "unfair" matchup to me.

Have to agree: this an extremely CHEESY concession. SHould have his Bashy License revoked for 6 months.

Not that I have never conceded. I was young and stupid then... I'm OLD and stupid now. Big difference.
westerner

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
I do know that CR is not relevant but rather BR/BBR that's also why I wrote that the Chaos team had a much better Win, TD and CAS ratio, so in my book that clearly looks like IT should be playing down in TS not the other way around...

Chaos made more cas per game and received less cas per game. Same is true for Touchdowns. I just can't see a fair scheduling in a team with a higher BR/BBR playing 14TS (after Handicap adjustment) down...

It all depends on what coaches/teams are in the box. Presumably that was the best match available at the time.

Part of the fun in B is sometimes having to face an uphill game, and deciding whether to prioritize winning or surviving.

Conceeding tough matches goes against the spirit of B.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

so if I enter with a high TS team if have more chances to play down in TS then if I enter with a lower TS team (after adjustments from BR/BBR).....? So the highest bidder in a black box round will always play down in TS which effectively could leave the high TS teams with easier matchups...mhhh if a uneven number of participants are in the box will a random one be cut or the highest one or one that can't be matched properly?

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
so if I enter with a high TS team if have more chances to play down in TS then if I enter with a lower TS team (after adjustments from BR/BBR).....? So the highest bidder in a black box round will always play down in TS which effectively could leave the high TS teams with easier matchups...mhhh if a uneven number of participants are in the box will a random one be cut or the highest one or one that can't be matched properly?

As far as I can tell this problem has been greatly reduced by the last batch of changes. Its still possible to manipulate though, especially if you only have one team.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are mirror games (same race on either side of the pitch) discriminated against? They are just as much fun as any other randomly assigned game. It seems like they never happen:
Forrest_Gump has played 82 blackbox games, 75 of which with his wildly successful wood elves. Never once have they faced wood elves!

Are there just no other wood elf teams around?

Anyway, I think there should be no penalty for same-race games, let the random factor sort it out.
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point.
The initial 'linear distance' formula sqrt(P^2 + bashP^2) tended to naturally favour mirror matches, this was because for any match that wasn't a mirror, racial factors tended to push both P and bashP away from zero, generally in different directions (e.g. for khemri v elves, P < 0 and bashP > 0) - meaning that non-mirror matches would always tend to be less 'suitable' than mirrors.
So, it made sense for there to be a compensating factor, maybe it was too high, that's the kind of thing alpha testing should pick up on.

The new, simpler formula abs(P + bashP) however, does not favour mirror matches to the same extent, taking the same example again it's entirely possible for the result of abs(P + bashP) to be zero. So, it's arguable there's now no need for a compensating factor at all.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Anyway, I think there should be no penalty for same-race games, let the random factor sort it out.

Maybe the dwarf coaches will get bored quicker if they play more dwarves Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2008 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

looking at my backlog from #fumbblblackbox I was unable to find any schedueled game for team under TR100, could there be possible bug in the code that prevents lower teams from beeing schedueled?

edit: ok, 3 minutes after I wrote that my tr90 team got schedueled, no bug there... Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hows about something that makes it less likely teams get scheduled multiple times in a row unless specifically activated as a preferance?

I've 5 teams, but one came out of the bot 5 times running recently, when I really wanted a bit of variety.

It's just a small idea, certianly less important than dealing with droppers, etc.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

edited for brain failure.....
Fallen00

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Things that needs fixing: first two reroll TS penalties removed, Ogre TS adjusted. Remove the -% cumulative for players worth 12ts and more.
 Jump to: