25 coaches online • Server time: 04:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How about Black box with total Race diversity ?
I'm the master of all races, YES bring it on.
35%
 35%  [ 33 ]
I'm a bit of a scaredy cat.... MAYBE.
19%
 19%  [ 18 ]
I play Khemri so NO way.
45%
 45%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 94

DexC

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:

To all people citing this reason to make Dwarfs and Orcs: Grow a pair and become part of the solution.

*applause*
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
One observation: Despite the khemri wording in the poll, which makes "NO" a less attractive option to pick, the poll still shows that it's again the loud minority that demands changes.

I think that speaks more about this specific division concept than a desire for change. Whil I would love something to persaude and ideally enforce some sort of racial diversity this really isnt it, hence I voted no.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2008 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

kn00b wrote:
kn00b was pointing out that elves would dominate the league, because there are four elven teams plus one skaven team for every orc team, inferring that a large number of bashers is needed to keep scoring teams in check.

Thats fairly poor logic Wink There might be four elves and some rats for every orc team but equally there are: orcs, chaos, khemri, undead, chaos dwarf, dwarf for every high elf team.

If you count the total number of bashers and the total number of finesse teams you probably wont see the bashers outnumbered 5-1. Theres nothing special about orcs - they are just the most popular bashy team.

JanMattys wrote:
Teams of all races (ok, maybe not norse) can win and develop in DivB.

That is certainly true. So far everything from orcs to Hobgoblins are flourishing in [B], the only races not in the top 50 are: Goblins, High Elves, Nurgle, and Khemri. Even Norse are a pretty solid [B]lackboxing race from what I can see Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
kn00b

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Silly - What I'm saying is that bashers need to outnumber scorers by a good margin, otherwise the lack of trimming will see elves dominant. I am guilty of using fairly extreme examples (although mostly provided by someone else), but some people like to nitpick, deny and ignore rather than take a point.
PTGMach

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2008 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

for the ADD:
i like the idea, but it's not worth it.

bleh. don't mess with racial diversity.

re: Original Post:
i myself do think a broad race division(, league, whatever) would be fun to play in. i haven't played nearly as much as most people here have, and i'd like to experience some of everything, and i think this would be a cool way to do it.

to those complaining about forcing people to play things they don't want to play, i think you're missing the fact that this was intended to be something different. he's not suggesting a change to [B], but a new thing. nobody has to play here if they don't want to. if you don't want to play a smattering of everything, then don't. that's fine. Smile

that said, i think that while i myself would enjoy the format, i think it's not something that needs to be introduced to FUMBBL. i'm skeptical of its popularity, and thus i opine that it would likely be dead before it started. quite a few reasons have been mentioned as to why this format would not be popular, and i think that many of them are solid arguments. and besides, i don't think i myself would (get to?) play enough to help support the format. Razz

re: Rest of the Thread:
i like [B] pretty darn well as it is, i'm not looking for any changes.
if there were going to be any kind of move for racial diversity, CircularLogic's proposal of ~8% per roster seemed reasonable to me. at least on the surface. but you couldn't hard cap it, or you'd get people running off with Plorg's mindset. and even a soft cap with some kind of incentive or disincentive could lead that way as well, though that seems less likely. but how else would you implement it?

kn00b, i didn't grasp what you were trying to get at until this very last post. perhaps my inexperience was to blame for not being able to glean that, but don't assume that everyone who doesn't see it is denying and ignoring your point. some of me are just that stupid. Wink that makes an interesting point, one which i hadn't really considered before. as a natural elfish coach, it's hard for me to want them to get culled; we -should- be dominant!!1 no, i can see how the health of a division could require an imbalance, and bugger if i've any idea what kind of racial diversity would be required.

to those afraid of [B] spiraling into bashiness, i pose a query: it's been claimed (probably correctly. not relevant.) that people are now expressing their frustration in not playing bashers in [R] by making many in [B]. it's also been claimed that some people in [B] are afraid to play elfish teams for fear of their pixels. could one not expect some of these people to get tired of not playing elves, much like other coaches got tired of not playing dwarfs? i obviously don't know what will happen any more than anyone else, but i suspect that fears are unnecessary, and that it will work itself out.
bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2008 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I love Ride on Time. Such a great song!

RealMadns

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2008 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

@OP

I think your sugestion is hugely impractical, and the concept in it self is not suited for a division. However, I would love to see something like that in L (with fewer teams, 21 is just silly)

I sugest that once the Blackbox tool is done being tested, it gets released for use in L, I can imagine a lot of very interesting Leagues run with that tool.
 Jump to: