58 coaches online • Server time: 18:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like to view BR?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 21 ]
Don't Know
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 103

DukeTyrion

Post 6 Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the discussions about Blackbox have ebbed and flowed, but Mr Christer seems to have found the middle ground to keep the majority happy.

The next question is, when can have a look at BR (and maybe BBR), as I would be interested in seeing who is at the top.

It might also be nice for those who are playing up TS regularly, as when they spot they are in the top 20, they will know it's for a worthy reason.

Sooo, what's the chances of unwrapping the Pandora's Box of BR? Very Happy
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 02:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

But surely all it can ever show is form as the nature of the division will tend it back toward average.

As the measure is calculated and used now it cannot be comparative.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 10:57
FUMBBL Staff

PurpleChest wrote:

I disagree. Mind elaborating why you believe that?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd prefer it to be hidden. i really don't want to know...

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
But surely all it can ever show is form as the nature of the division will tend it back toward average.

My understanding is that the BR will indeed show the correct ranking of coaches. It's just that the spread is smaller due to the inclusion of BR in the matching formula. So instead of 130 - 190 like CR, it will more likely be something like 140-170. But I don't expect the overall ranking to be wrong (after a sufficient number of games of course).

Oh, and Christer, please let us have a look at BR, so that we don't have to guess anymore Razz
PeteW

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be nice to have some kind of measure of skill or ability, otherwise I think BB might lose interest for many. BR would be one measure, although I guess there could be others - win % etc.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

I think that would have been true before the max TS diff tweak the other day and other tweaks that have brought TSs closer together.

As it is now, I wouldn't mind having a look. I don't think BR would be perfect, perhaps a [B] win % on the coach page might be nice (like Pete says) instead, but it can't hurt to have it public I wouldn't have thought?
Forrest_Gump

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

*Agrees with duke* Smile

Try out Tilean Triad Trialsfor some fun threesome action!

TBK

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question slightly off topic. Is there some sort of penalty for the people that refuse to play the match they have been assigned by the black box? It seems to me like there should be but then considering the fact the the black box might give completely riddiculous opponent from time to time (still never happened to me) it might be difficult to implement. I must say that I find the black box idea wonderful and I hope it bocems a thriving part of the FUMBBL community. Thank you Christer for your continued effort to satisfy this slightly ungrateful community Wink
svemole

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see the BR.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

TBK wrote:
I have a question slightly off topic. Is there some sort of penalty for the people that refuse to play the match they have been assigned by the black box? It seems to me like there should be but then considering the fact the the black box might give completely riddiculous opponent from time to time (still never happened to me) it might be difficult to implement. I must say that I find the black box idea wonderful and I hope it bocems a thriving part of the FUMBBL community. Thank you Christer for your continued effort to satisfy this slightly ungrateful community Wink

I guess that whilst the BBox is in testing there won;t be any procedure for punishing dropping coaches, but when the division goes official, droppings and illegal concessions will be dealt with as per fumbbl rules.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

ya i think it should be viewable aswell. more stats to geek around with Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

BR would be a cool thing to be able to see. Especially since high BR gives you tougher games... might as well have the bragging rights to compensate for that Smile

I still think that BR should be done on a team by team basis too Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
WG|Dark_Angel

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Especially since high BR gives you tougher games... might as well have the bragging rights to compensate for that

qft
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 13:16
FUMBBL Staff

WG|Dark_Angel wrote:
Quote:
Especially since high BR gives you tougher games... might as well have the bragging rights to compensate for that

qft

qft

It is my understanding that this would mean BR couldnt be comparative.

Coach A will have had a tougher fixture list than coach B, but both could end up with the same BR rating and now be facing equal games in the future, but as their path to that rating is unabalanced, then the rating itself surely shows their abitlity to beat the formula, not a comparative measure against each other.

But as Christer, whose knoweldge of maths and the rating system is abusrdly greater than mine seems to dissagree, maybe i have the wrong end of the stick.

If games were balanced by race/ts/tr and coach rating not a factor than i would see it as an interesting number. But to me this is theoretical as i a not playing [B]. If the [B] players want to see it, then i dont see the harm, i just question its value.

Allowing 'bragging rights' (mmm, thats not exactly healthy sounding in itself) in a division that isnt designed for fair matches, but instead for fair games, seems counter-intuitive to me. If the system works everyone should tend to the same number, if they dont, then the formula isnt working.

Jump to: