30 coaches online • Server time: 08:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do your skill selcetions change for Black Box?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 42 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 79

JimmyBlitz

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if coaches playing in Black Box have noticed a change in their normal selection of player skills. The nature of black box prevents choosing skills knowing what races you are likely to cherry pick, meaning most teams are required to take a broader base of skills to account for all strategies, or limit themselves to only basic universal skills such as block, tackle, dodge and other common selections. I don't suspect the bashing teams style changes too much, but it still seems coaches would have to adjust their team building strategies. So, anyone else noticing themselves changing their long term skill selection strategies?

Last edited by JimmyBlitz on %b %29, %2008 - %20:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Calcium

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Intrestingly enough, I have taken far less tackle than usual. But after the raping your elves just handed me, tackle is back on the menu!

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't even have dodge! I understand being bitter about a 'rape', but our first meeting was alot of fun despite the roles being reversed. This one you seemed less fun to play against.
Calcium

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's not turn this thread into our battleground.

Obviously the slight injection of humour in my post above was missed. I don't do raped well, as I stated in the game. 20 mins later and I'm all calm again. And I was being sincere about the tackle issue. I have taken far less than normal.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

/agreed
kn00b

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken way too much dodge on my elves and not enough block. The skill selections are no different than I would choose in [R] and due to the large number of dwarves I've played I'm starting to come around to the block-before-dodge school. That being said, all that dodge pwns chaos, orcs and khemri especially. So who knows?
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken Tackle on an Ogre (Ogre team), in [R]anked it migth have been a bit useless (except for tournaments)

I supose we'll see some more killer skills and combos (if posible), at least at first. Then may be some people realice that other skills help you winning without increasing the BBR.

The most interesting changes imho are about treasury management and soft teams. Or about starting rosters.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

yes, teams need to build in a more general fashion.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

well im taking the same skills i usually would for my skaven, as if they were in the GT, its as close as is possible

but as for my khemri, usually skele's would get block for first skill, now they get dirty player for the first skill, main reason is as people cant dodge games, im blatantly abusing the system Very Happy

Overall you cant choose your skills as concentrated as you usually do because your not guarrenteed any one set of races, so you have to set up to accomadate for every possible game

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really enjuying my Warp Lightning Genius and part of that is because they are so interesting to choose skills for. Whenever a gutter runner gets a double I dont want dauntless (since it eats RR) so I have a huge number of really cool options available... I've seriously considered prehensile tail (great with shadowing) two heads (low TS version of AG5) and foul appearence (very irritating, especially one a sidestepper) which are all really cool skills that I'd never normally get to pick sensibly.

[B] requires a mindset for teambuilding which is totally different to anything else on FUMBBL. Not many people have caught on yet though Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
RC

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2008 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

picked kick as the third skill for my chaos, just hated to give the touchback to khemri teams. Also got 16 players as fast as I could .

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
[B] requires a mindset for teambuilding which is totally different to anything else on FUMBBL. Not many people have caught on yet though Very Happy

Count me as one of those people who hasn't fully caught on. Smile

In [R], coaches optimizing for TR-based tournaments are going to try to pack in as much TS as they can get for a given TR.

In [B}, more TS just gets you harder opponents, so it would seem that the optimal strategy is look for skills and combos that have more game-winning-power than they cost in TS.

Probably a good idea to study the TS formula in detail.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

My BlackBox Rats are slightly different to my Ranked Rats, as I now take +AG on all Gutter Runners Wink
Sinner

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
yes, teams need to build in a more general fashion.

That's what I have been doing in [R] for years Smile

In [B] I already picked DP three times. 2+1 on my teams. And MB over Guard on DE... shame on me!

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Since Blackbox is a big ongoing tourney (in a way), I had to use a double on leader, which is pointless in ranked. Also, I can see myself taking dauntless a bit more often than in ranked.
 Jump to: