40 coaches online • Server time: 12:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do your skill selcetions change for Black Box?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 42 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 79

westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
Since Blackbox is a big ongoing tourney (in a way), I had to use a double on leader, which is pointless in ranked. Also, I can see myself taking dauntless a bit more often than in ranked.

Aye. Leader seems like a very cheap reroll: 2 TS for leader, vs 8-14 TS for a team reroll.
EDIT: 4-7 TS (thanks Pac)

Some other noteworthy items from my preliminary study of the TS formula:

+AG for AG3 teams' ballhandlers seem like a good buy.

Frenzy is bargain priced and adds some nifty crowdpushing capabilities.

Break Tackle seems overpriced unless you can build a true cagebreaker with it. Adding Break Tackle to a run-of-the-mill Black Orc raises TS by ~5.

Last edited by westerner on %b %01, %2008 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
Aye. Leader seems like a very cheap reroll: 2 TS for leader, vs 8-14 TS for a team reroll.

4-7 TS. The cost is doubled, not the TS weight.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting team SillySod. I wonder if you can survive & thrive with no RRs though!!

One thing I like is being able to keep -stat injuries now. TS penalty for them makes them worthwhile on occasion!
Fallen00

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

is there a table where we can see the TS formula for skills and traits? I'm pretty new here -- no I didn't use the search feature!

I think I'd make better(wiser?) choices if I knew how much TS i'd gain from particular skills on particular players.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I pick my skills just like I do in [R].

Based on the following:

- What skills does my team need to play all races.
- What helps a player fill the roll I would like him to perform on the pitch.

I pick the skills I need for the NEXT game, because it's the only game I can guarantee my player will live to see.
It's the same in [B].

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2008 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I view the BOX as a sandbox to just have fun in, dont care if my team lives or dies, I am going to make a Norse team after my Humans die off and give all my blitzers MB and Pile on. Just to see how it plays out. HEY My blitzers will get fouled into oblivion but what glorous CAS potential.

I would never do this in Ranked play. Heck I would never play Norse in ranked play.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

kn00b wrote:
I've taken way too much dodge on my elves and not enough block. ... ...
That being said, all that dodge pwns chaos, orcs and khemri especially. So who knows?

Well I have always taking block on 1st skill on my elves then dodge. Reason is simple to give my elves more bash power. Then try as early on to get RRs, to make up for failed dodges.

And it would come to no surprise if team building would be different from Ranked to Blackbox.
No dodging, different coaches with different strategies, broad range of teams, all this lead only to a more competitive nature and therefore some people would have to adopt and change their style of play. And some skills that have not beeen used that much before, actually can be more powerfull now then in Ranked where you just could dodge such teams.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I expected Chaos to pick different skills, but Chaos coaches are just clawed thugs with no finesse.

:/

As for Dwarfs... Coaching Dwarfs in blackbox is lame.

Oh: and since people can't pick their opponents, they go for the *universal weapon* approach. Which means: everybody and his mother have 2+ DPs in DivB.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Oh: and since people can't pick their opponents, they go for the *universal weapon* approach. Which means: everybody and his mother have 2+ DPs in DivB.

Not everyone Wink
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be interested to see if the Hellfishes can keep up their no injury rule through B.

I have already decided that I will allow my Line Rats to carry a few injuries, which is a break away from my Ranked practice of firing anything that is not 100%. I might even save some TS with the -AG, -ST agents.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
JanMattys wrote:

Not everyone Wink

The fact that you are a very rare exception kinda proves my point Smile

And yes, so far the injury policy is on, both for humans and high elves.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
I have already decided that I will allow my Line Rats to carry a few injuries, which is a break away from my Ranked practice of firing anything that is not 100%. I might even save some TS with the -AG, -ST agents.

I think it might be worth keeping injured players arround, at least until you can afford to replace them. Exception: I get rid of nigglers due to risk of virus.

Since there is no end goal of max-TS development in B, it all comes down to what TS I want my team to play at. Injuries may be good or bad in that calcuation.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
westerner wrote:

4-7 TS. The cost is doubled, not the TS weight.

Correct. But the first two RR of any team cost 5TS extra each... so leader can be a pretty tremendous saving (2-5TS is a pretty neat saving on most teams anyway).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
xcver

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I expected Chaos to pick different skills, but Chaos coaches are just clawed thugs with no finesse.

:/

As for Dwarfs... Coaching Dwarfs in blackbox is lame.

B is crawling with bashy teams that are harder to get games with in R. Just go to games at a random point and look at the races currently playing a game. Right now for example are 22 teams playing. 2 Elves and Vampires (if you count them as a playing team) the rest is compromised of Dwarf, Khemri, Undead, Chaos, Lizardman, Ogre and Orcs.

Could be the scheduler though...have 3 teams (orcs, humans and elves) and played 6 games. 4 times the scheduler picked orcs and 2 times the humans to play against orcs...

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2008 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I really wouldn't count lizardmen as a race that is avoided due to possible casualties
 Jump to: