50 coaches online • Server time: 17:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Vol

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for the ability to blacklist certain coaches or teams in the Blackbox. The scheduler would avoid scheduling a match with anyone/anyteam on your blacklist.

I just had a match with a coach that built a team that has no desire in winning. His team isn't one that anyone would enter into a league or a tournament. I don't mind people experimenting with team configurations. I'm experimenting with races I've never coached. I've been against a team that is swearing off re-rolls in the hope it will improve his coaching.

But this team was just silly. It has just one goal, to break squishy teams. He didn't break mine, but he also didn't have a solid chance at scoring. He didn't care to try to win. I just don't get it and would rather not waste my time playing against him again.
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh how nice that gamefinder is. Very Happy

On a serious note blacklisting to avoid certain coaches, I understand totally. BUT man oh man that could seriously "break" the Box with a coach who took the time to "tacticilly" Black list around 50 coaches.

In the end I think you will just have to live with the small minority of coaches who just want to kill and dont give a flip about anything else. You know. like the guys who play over in ranked play that the majority of Box coaches are trying to get away from.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I played the same coach earlier and my team was methodically dismembered. He admitted that his objective was not to win but to kill as many of my players as possible. He did it well, too - kudos to him.

I do not agree that blacklists or any kind of match avoidance should be permitted in [B]. That would negate the point of the division. So far in ~30 odd games in B, I've played very few teams like this.

However, said coach also has other teams that are trying to win. And I object to the scheduler assigning lower-TS matchups to his other teams as a result of losses with his "killer" team.

Last edited by westerner on %b %03, %2008 - %06:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Vol

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
BUT man oh man that could seriously "break" the Box

Yeah, I know. But it would be nice if it weren't abused.

Maybe just have some sort of karma system. If X number of coaches blacklist you, you can't play. Or perhaps coaches can give each other coach a + or - to karma or something, and you could set a karma threshold and avoid coaches whose threshold is too low.

As it is, though, there is no way for the community to police itself.
Shane70

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

That same player I have played 3 or 4 times and has been on my blacklist from before [B]... but I still enjoy killin every player I can of his. Smile
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds to me like "said coach" is abusing the system & using his killer, not interested in winning team to set up his other team for better matches...This needs to be looked into IMO...food for thought christer

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %03, %2008 - %06:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Kryten

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a few just unfun matches in the Box. One against that particular coach, as it happens. The khemri with 4+ DP skeletons just isn't entertaining for me. I'm trying to find a way to make those matches fun too. Perhaps I need to change strategy and discard any attempts to win.
Shane70

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldnt worry about it Kryten, that particular coach is one of the most "unfun" (I think i made a word) coaches i've played on fumbbl...
Vol

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Kryten wrote:
Perhaps I need to change strategy and discard any attempts to win.

But it was so freakin' easy to win. Very Happy

The more I think of it, I'd love a karma system. Maybe we should research different systems and see what might work here and draft a proposal for Christer. I'm only familiar with the ones at Slashdot and Perl Monks.

Neither would work here.
Sarganius

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I totally agree its not 'fun' to play coaches like this however they are not abusing the system in any way shape or form.

Each coach has the right to make a team how they wish and play any tactics they wish and if that involves attempting to crush the opposition then while that person is unlikely to have an active social life it is well within the rules and totally allowed.

Sucks to play those type of people but take solace that its very likely they have a very full social calendar! Smile
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 07:21 Reply with quote Back to top

In fact, the surprising thing is not that this kind of lamer is attracted to the [B] concept. The surprising thing that there isn't more of this going on.

The inability to dodge games against guys like this and teams like this is however the basic idea in [B]. Christer has tried to compensate a little for this behaviour by introducing a bashing ratio into the scheduler (don't know is it's still in there) but then there was a lot of noise from people who want the Box to schedule purely on TS.

Can't please everybody!

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had games like this as well. I've just conceded once I have multiple BH,the apoth is used and I know the only thing the other coach is going to do is bash and foul my team into the turf.

I like this idea of a [b] black list, but;

PainState wrote:

On a serious note blacklisting to avoid certain coaches, I understand totally. BUT man oh man that could seriously "break" the Box with a coach who took the time to "tacticilly" Black list around 50 coaches.

This is a good concern. Perhaps make a [B] blacklist where coaches can only black list something like 3 people they don't want to face in the box
Hovring

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of a kharma system the only big problem is sore losers that gives low ranking because they lose. This often leads to better players having lower kharma.

What I suggest is that you can only give out bad kharma and if you win a game (this way the khemri fouling strategy wouldn't be hurt by bad kharma since it is a winning strat). Then everyone have a bad kharma rate and people should be free to set a treshold for what rate they wouldn't wanna play.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

KennethLumina wrote:
I've had games like this as well. I've just conceded once I have multiple BH, the apoth is used and I know the only thing the other coach is going to do is bash and foul my team into the turf.

You know what the big issue is with handling it like this? The lamer will get so much money from your concession that he WILL hire a HUGE star for the next match. So in fact you're reinforcing their playstyle by conceding, as well a losing your team their winnings and a FF.

Pretty bad plan.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

simple answer...

...no...

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: