14 coaches online • Server time: 05:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, coming back to fumbbl after a long hiatus and am very interested in Blackbox but am concerned about DPs. I'm fine with the skilled used of DP as part of winning a game, but I'm not a big fan of teams who just try to rack up casualties with no concern for actually trying to score.

Is it pretty reasonable or is it a rampant kill-fest?

What has been your experience?
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I've seen(haven't gotten a team past 150TR...similar to my CR...) fouling is as bad in BB as it was in ranked. There's some DP, fouling when strategic.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral
Coach-D

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

you'll find them in any team that can afford them
nThatch

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

just get over it and play. dp is an important part of the game, and will be used individually.
rumpage

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

To answer your question it's reasonable.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh*

ImageImage
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an idea for a new thread:

Fouling in Black Box - Part of the Game or a Cheesy Exploit?

/me agrees with shadow46x2

*sigh*

Sad
Qaz

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling in a box in the black box!

Not only are you stalling in a box----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------X--X-------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------o---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------X--X-------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------You ara also doing it in the black box

Surely this must be far worse than just stalling in a box...

I say Cheesy Exploit...

It is called Bowl bowl not Blood blood or some thing like that. Get Jervis we need to change the rules for LRB 4.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Alacran

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG! Not another thread about how bad fouling is in BBox. Oh noes. When will people ever stop making these threads?

To answer your question, teams with cheap players tend to stack DP on some of them. I, like you, have no problem with someone fouling as a viable strategy. I play an elf team, people have this idea that I can score against a full team with four players. I accept that people that are lazy coaches are going to go for the tie and try to eliminate me. And of all my games in Bbox, of which there have been a few, I have only ever had one guy try to eliminate my team on a permanant basis. I also played the 'going to play one game and hire up some gobbo star players with weapons team' once, he killed two more guys. They were actually successful, because two games later that team did, in fact, retire because it needed too many games to get back in shape. If you get the feeling that someone is trying to rub your face in the dirt, conceed. If someone is not trying to win, "playing to lose," report the game and take a walk outside.

Actually, the bigger problem that you are likely to encounter in Bbox is that many of its ardent players are quite uncooth. This includes the forums, IRC, and in game. If you are ok with playing a pleasant person, my experience, 1 out of 3 times then Bbox is for you. If you don't mind playing someone that never types anything, or rude things, then Bbox is for you. If you can't get a game in Ranked because you rub people the wrong way, you guessed it, Bbox is for you.

Ranked is still viable, if you don't like Blackbox, there is an alternative. The good thing about Bbox is that you get assigned a random oppenent. It is like being in a tourney. You never know what you're going to get, a high flying elf team (unlikely) or a ground and pound Khemri team. You have to play each new game as a challenge. Go toe to toe with a new and different individual every game. If this appeals to you, feel free to dive in head first.
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for those of you who actually replied - see you on the pitch.

Alacran wrote:
Actually, the bigger problem that you are likely to encounter in Bbox is that many of its ardent players are quite uncooth. This includes the forums, IRC, and in game. If you are ok with playing a pleasant person, my experience, 1 out of 3 times then Bbox is for you.

Hmm... about like this thread. Thanks for the heads up Alacran.

Edit - watch the language --j
Enar

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Short, and sort of serious answer comes. Though who readeth forth shall be warned!

In a black box environment there are some defined winning strategies. For some (alot) of the coaches win% is important. When one can not chose opponent, the winning strategy (in a very basic game theroy model) is to go for high av, high bash and dp-heavy teams.

This should not come as a surprise. Also, this is why R will not die. "Soft" or "interesting" teams and skill choises get mangled without remorse in B. This is good or bad, all depending on your point of view.
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Enar wrote:
Short, and sort of serious answer comes. Though who readeth forth shall be warned!

In a black box environment there are some defined winning strategies. For some (alot) of the coaches win% is important. When one can not chose opponent, the winning strategy (in a very basic game theroy model) is to go for high av, high bash and dp-heavy teams.

This should not come as a surprise. Also, this is why R will not die. "Soft" or "interesting" teams and skill choises get mangled without remorse in B. This is good or bad, all depending on your point of view.

That certainly makes sense.

What would you guys estimate is the percentage of bashy vs. squishy in Blackbox? Looking online right now (Friday night) it's 14 to 4 , with the four "squishy" being Amazons, Human, Dark Elves and Goblins.

It sounds fun and I'm definitely going to be playing, but it also sounds like it's just a bashy league with the rare masochist. I would suspect that the percentage of squishy has been and will continue to slowly creep up as people get tired of the bashy league? How long has Blackbox been live?
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I play dark elf and yes I have a dirty player. In my opinion its stupid to not have at least 1 DP on your team.

The numbers game is so important and a well placed foul or two can easily change a game from a loss to a win.

That being said, stupid fouling can easily turn a win into a loss.

People seem to be so concerned about not getting fouled... Suck it up?

My impression of [B] so far is people play to win. Some teams win by bashing and fouling and gaining numbers, others win by running around in circles. The thing with [B] is there is no rating system... you play for fun! so who cares if your team gets smashed around a little? All that matters is the W.

I've only had one game where my opponent seemed to not even care about the ball and just kept fouling... I suffered some casualties but got an easy win and couldn't have been happier.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I find it hard to believe that there are actualy any games being played in [B] at all. As far as i can see the whole division was created because we'd run out of forum topics and we can act like if we put "[B]" in the tiltle its never been discussed before Laughing