50 coaches online • Server time: 17:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should be done about kill-first [B] teams that make killing their first priority, with scoring a distant second?
1) Nothing - it's a valid strategy
44%
 44%  [ 116 ]
2) Nothing yet - i'm not convinced it's a big deal
21%
 21%  [ 56 ]
3) Contain it - Tweak the scheduling formula and/or incent coaches to win
21%
 21%  [ 55 ]
4) Ban it - it's illegal
12%
 12%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 260

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2008 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

If a low BBR gives me easier games, then it's not exactely fair.

However, I personnaly would like a Blackbox where I can play a nice variety of team.

The issue I have is to have too many bashers around.

And IMO, the silent foulers disgust the players that play softer teams. Which is detrimental to the box for everyone IMO, even bash coaches.

That's why I advocate for a way to keep a stability.

The thing is, bash coaches (and of course not the other ones) answer to the issue by: You have a good AG, you have higher chances to win.

But it's a slight reward actually. When I play in a league, having 5/0/1 instead of 4/0/2 makes a great difference. In a tournament, I advance a new turn. But then in a "open" league, what do I prefer? A crippled and dead team, or a win?

The thing is, I am playing pro elves, among the weakest team around. I know how to play orcs too. So what will happen once I get happily killed by someone too happy to foul some undermanned elves? I will move to a bashy team. And it sucks. It's detrimental to the team.

Since those threads about team killers started, the number of games in the box lowered. IMO there's an issue here.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The poll numbers after 200 votes point something out, Whiner cry babies are not the majority. The majority are the tough enough to play [B] crowd.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Since those threads about team killers started, the number
of games in the box lowered. IMO there's an issue here.

Anyway I don't see any critical or statistically significant decrease that could be related to the threads mentioned.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Blackbox will always have a higher proportion of bashy teams.

Even the respect given to other coaches is dropping, as people can act like arses behind their PC's with T16 fouls and the like and they will still get games.

The new wave of mentality will just force other coaches to make their own bashers too, as they get bored of their low AV, non-regen teams getting trashed.

However, out of all of this agile teams will have an easier time getting wins, as skills like tackle get overlooked in the Basher vs Basher arena.

Plus, we will finally find out which coaches really have the balls to stick it out and which ones run straight for their AV9 and Regen Very Happy
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Calcium wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
DonTomaso wrote:
The problem should be fairly easy to solve. If the BlackBox checks the Blacklist, the problem will sort itself out. Or at least _you_ don't have to face the same opponent twice.

(...)

Then again, someone might blacklist everybody with a CR above 150, but that, really, is their loss.

Simply, limit the blacklist to 10 names so you can't metagame by blacklisting every good coach around and that's a good way to sort this one out.

The whole notion of making a division like blackbox THEN rstricting the games within it smacks to me of.....[R]???

Awful idea in my opinion. Just awful.

Well I see a difference. In Ranked, you pick your games, hence you avoid certain matchups.

If you allow a limited blacklist system in [B], you avoid coaches that you just rated as "definitely not my taste to play them".

My pro-elves for exemple, won't be dodging dorfs or khemris, BUT coach X that is really a moron.

Ahhh.... BUT coach X may only play like a moron with his Khemri or Dorfs...

He may be a fluff player that plays entirely differently with his Dark Elves as opposed to his High Elves.
AND
Totally differnt with his Undead as opposed to his Necros.

Skill wise these teams are pretty similar BUT fluff-wise they have different approaches and goals. You could be Blacklisting somebody for the wrong reasons.

I STALL as much as posssible with my Orcs...
But my Skaven try to score over and over and over.
I BASH with Dwarves... I Dodge with Elves.
I TTM every turn with one team.
That is THE TEAM not ME.
I have to be true to my team... sometimes.
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Summarizing the results of the poll as of this writing. Overall, the majority concensus is that no action is needed, at least for now. Some coaches do think something should be done, with a smaller number very concerned. So something to keep an eye on in the future.

1) Nothing - it's a valid strategy
43% [ 96 ]
2) Nothing yet - i'm not convinced it's a big deal
22% [ 50 ]
3) Contain it - Tweak the scheduling formula and/or incent coaches to win
20% [ 44 ]
4) Ban it - it's illegal
13% [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 220

Last edited by westerner on %b %15, %2008 - %20:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It is quite disappointing how many people think being antisocial is a valid strategy.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
Ahhh.... BUT coach X may only play like a moron with his Khemri or Dorfs...

He may be a fluff player that plays entirely differently with his Dark Elves as opposed to his High Elves.
AND
Totally differnt with his Undead as opposed to his Necros.

Skill wise these teams are pretty similar BUT fluff-wise they have different approaches and goals. You could be Blacklisting somebody for the wrong reasons.

I STALL as much as posssible with my Orcs...
But my Skaven try to score over and over and over.
I BASH with Dwarves... I Dodge with Elves.
I TTM every turn with one team.
That is THE TEAM not ME.
I have to be true to my team... sometimes.

I don't think it's about fluff. If someone is unfun to play, he's unfun whatever the team, but it's worser when he trashes your team too.

I'll take Torsoboy, he's a very strong coach, he mauled me many times in ranked with his orks. But it always was a good experience.

The silent killers try to make the experience awfull to you. I'll take an exemple of a friend of mine (I will keep him anonymous but some might know him). He cherrypicks noobs with flings then trash them. He specifically tells them "sorry" just to anger them more. If I wouldn't know him, I would blacklist him.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, how comes that all those who doesn't see a problem with team killers are usually coaches that only plays those kind of teams?

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
The silent killers try to make the experience awfull to you. I'll take an exemple of a friend of mine (I will keep him anonymous but some might know him). He cherrypicks noobs with flings then trash them. He specifically tells them "sorry" just to anger them more. If I wouldn't know him, I would blacklist him.

Does his coach name begin with a "z"? Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
By the way, how comes that all those who doesn't see a problem with team killers are usually coaches that only plays those kind of teams?

Like evil killer Dark Elves.

Very Nasty killer coach Smile

Edit link

Last edited by koadah on %b %17, %2008 - %12:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Koadah, that link will send each coach to their own coach stats Wink
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Is it deliberate that that will link everyone to their own stats page?

If so its pretty cunning Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
koadah wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Is it deliberate that that will link everyone to their own stats page?

If so its pretty cunning Very Happy

No, but probably more fun Smile

Last edited by koadah on %b %17, %2008 - %13:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Met a killer coach the other day, who explicitly stated that he didn't care about scoring touchdowns, and that he only wanted to kill as many of my players as possible.
This felt kinda odd. Still, at the end of the game he was the one who had broken my winning streak (ended in a draw). So, it must have been a valid strategy!

I agree that it was a little less fun than usual, but I didn't mind much. The tone was friendly throughout the game.