23 coaches online • Server time: 04:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Coach-D

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

it will bring about a whole new era of mashy strength ability getting teams... full of guard, standfirm, and a dp or two... who care's if those elves score 5tds, they'll be retiring when they lose 10+ players a game
veron

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Why would they retire when you get free journeymen for every game to have at least 11 players?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

But Duke... (yes, I know the thread is a bit of a joke first and foremost, but I'll be serious anyway)

If we go to LRB5, we'll just have a million and one threads moaning about all of 5's problems. Like nexus says, foul threads will get worse, Riot will be cursed for page after page, etc, etc.

The perfect ruleset doesn't exist! Very Happy

I'm all for changing when we have the client, don't get me wrong, but it won't make whine threads go away. Afterall, it still uses dice, doesn't it? Laughing
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Afterall, it still uses dice, doesn't it? Laughing

It uses dice? Now that explains why I loose at times... Twisted Evil
Enar

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Coach-D wrote:
hmm... maybe if everyone donated a dollar to skijunkie whick would probably be somewhere in the high thousands, he would make one pronto... but I'll leave you duke to taking the collection and asking him.... and maybe taking care of my dollar Very Happy hehe

Personally I enjoy the challenge of trying to make one myself with the very little luck I'm having coz Java's new to me...

We should donate to Skijunkie for his effort on the current client as well... I know I spent four years before I managed to give the man some well deserved donations Embarassed
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Duke. LRB 5 (and especially 6) would go a long way towards addressing the current issues, namely DP and Khemri.

DP gets a lot worse and fouling will be a much less successful tactic. You don't get +1 to armor and DP is only +1 (instead of +2). That's a huge difference in the chances of getting a cas from fouling. Additionally, the chances of getting sent off on the first foul go up. On a non-armor breaking foul the chances of getting sent off are 1/6, but on an armor-breaking foul the chances go up to 30% (the odds stay the same on subsequent fouls).

Additionally, the Khemri of LRB 6 are recognisable to someone coming from LRB 4 only by the fact that they still have Blitz- and Thro-ras. What I'd be most afraid are the threads moaning about the fact that Khemri have gotten pretty bad.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
DP gets a lot worse and fouling will be a much less successful tactic. You don't get +1 to armor and DP is only +1 (instead of +2). That's a huge difference in the chances of getting a cas from fouling. Additionally, the chances of getting sent off on the first foul go up. On a non-armor breaking foul the chances of getting sent off are 1/6, but on an armor-breaking foul the chances go up to 30% (the odds stay the same on subsequent fouls).

sure, until you add sneaky git into the mix....

then what do your statistics break down into?....

sorry but while your precious DP nerf takes effect in LRB5, the fouling game in general has turned into a debacle, as any strategic fouling has been ixnayed, and the practice of fouling every turn because you can, and because the chances are decreased from LRB4 to get ejected, has taken control....

it's funny how many pro LRB5 people are, because of DP getting diluted...but conveniently ignore the fouling area as a whole has been completely borked...

nexus nailed it on the head...

the amount of fouling whining threads are going to go through the roof if LRB5 ever comes to fumbbl...

--j

ImageImage
nexusvalhees

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

/me Loves how much more blood is on the pitch in LRB5 I can foul every turn and not need a 6 dp team to do so seriously LRB5 is a team killers wet dream. Elf Foulers really get the best gain sneaky git I can no assist foul every turn with absolutely no chance of being kicked off the field unless I break armor and do some damage. and with tackle wrestle none of your players are safe from Hitting the turf for my boot.

Remember folks if you don't go out of your way to kill good players AGING IS YOUR FAULT!!
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Coach-D wrote:
I still reckon bring back spps for fouls so people are more inclined to play dp's than be scared of them...

on top of that 2009 also brings the new blood bowl release which looks awesome and has no nuffle... those who nuffle seems to hate will probably go that way, since it can be played in leagues online...

maybe that will be the new client? who knows...

I am not scared of DP's, hence why Paulhicks is near the top of my coaches played list Wink

Although I do think DP + Get the Ref together in LRB 4.0 is broken.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Duke..

feel free to code a LRB5.0 compliant client that is usable by pc/mac/linux, and we're good to go...

in the meantime, those of us who like a real ruleset, will continue to play the current one

--j

Now now, don't get all grumpy on me Wink

Nothing wrong with asking nicely if anything is planned for next year on a 'discussion forum' Razz

In the meanwhile, I will also continue to play on the current ruleset.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
sure, until you add sneaky git into the mix....

then what do your statistics break down into?....

--j

Well, my statistics remain exactly the same for when you break armor. If you don't break armor, you've just wasted an action and a foul that doesn't break armor isn't going to generate too much fear and loathing.

Furthermore, Sneaky git + DP is two skills and Sneaky git is an agility skill. As you pointed out, this will help those teams that have linemen with access to General and Agility skills, and those are elven teams for the most part. But even a pro elf lineman with two skills is worth 100k in team value, and still isn't such a scary weapon.

Lastly, Shadow, in the spirit of the Blackbox threads, how much LRB5 have you played yourself?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Well, my statistics remain exactly the same for when you break armor. If you don't break armor, you've just wasted an action and a foul that doesn't break armor isn't going to generate too much fear and loathing.

hmmm...somehow, i don't think i agree with that last comment....at least in this community, i think someone who spends 16 turns fouling, regardless of the result of said foul, is still going to draw venom from the pixelhugger coaches on the site...

also, the additional problem is that, while yes, each individual foul may not be as damaging due to less bonuses on the foul...the inclusion of added fouling-related skills, and the loss of the eye mechanics turn fouling into a matter of quantity over quality....

while current rules can allow a coach to thwart mass foulers by not retaliating, that tactic is no longer valid in LRB5.0, because with the proper skills, a coach can foul every turn without punishment, and greatly increase his potential for an injury....

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Furthermore, Sneaky git + DP is two skills and Sneaky git is an agility skill. As you pointed out, this will help those teams that have linemen with access to General and Agility skills, and those are elven teams for the most part. But even a pro elf lineman with two skills is worth 100k in team value, and still isn't such a scary weapon.

and, yes, sneaky git is an A-related skill....but last i checked, every team has access to A skills on a double, and a bunch on a regular....so instead of picking up DP first, you pick up SG first, then DP....

i can guarantee, any smart coach on this site is going to have one, maybe two SG/DPs on their team, just to be able to foul as much as possible, to dramatically increase their damage output...

you think the crying over fouling is bad now?...wait until LRB5.0 becomes the standard here....

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Lastly, Shadow, in the spirit of the Blackbox threads, how much LRB5 have you played yourself?

i don't play lrb5 period, because i don't agree with the mindset that galak used of throwing as much crap on the wall, and praying some of it sticks...

while there is some nice things in LRB5, admittedly, like the SF & safe throw fixes...in my opinion, the majority is just that....crap...it's like using a nuclear weapon to kill an ant....way too many changes for things that weren't necessary.....

what should have happened was tweaking the ruleset to make it more of a solid core, instead of adding in all of this stupid crap....

but then again, i'm just a peon compared to the great ego himself, galak

--j

ImageImage
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB5 is a great ruleset. The inducement system is totally brilliant and lots of the roster changes are a whole lot of fun. However it has some big disadvantages too, I'll keep enjoying the following aspects of LRB4:
- fouling that works... LRB5 fouling is a total mess.
- an ogre team which is remotely playable... the current team is a fun and tough challenge but the LRB5 roster is a joke.
- star/wizard hiring strategies in tournaments... ok these arent a massive loss but I will miss them.
- thralls that die when you bite them Sad

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The LRB 5(6) flaws that would cause the most trouble are actually the ones we don't even know about yet.

Due to the number of games played and the density of experienced coaches (who are all looking at what one another are doing and will readily copy successful tactics), FUMBBL has a history of shining a spotlight on 'broken' rules which - for 10 or more years in some cases! - had gone unfixed.

If/when LRB 6 comes here, FUMBBL will turn into a giant testing ground, in which everyone is racing to find and exploit the flaws and features it brings with it. Not that shaking everything up like that would necessarily be a bad thing - but the net result (in the short term, at least) certainly wouldn't be to resolve problems!
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
The LRB 5(6) flaws that would cause the most trouble are actually the ones we don't even know about yet.

Due to the number of games played and the density of experienced coaches (who are all looking at what one another are doing and will readily copy successful tactics), FUMBBL has a history of shining a spotlight on 'broken' rules which - for 10 or more years in some cases! - had gone unfixed.

If/when LRB 6 comes here, FUMBBL will turn into a giant testing ground, in which everyone is racing to find and exploit the flaws and features it brings with it. Not that shaking everything up like that would necessarily be a bad thing - but the net result (in the short term, at least) certainly wouldn't be to resolve problems!

Ahh well, you never quite know whether things will be resolved or not. As you yourself have said, we don't really know how things will play out yet.

It might be that everthing plays out beyond our wildest dreams (and I exclude Russo from that), although in the short term (while the metagaming areas are unknown), it might actually be the shangri la!
 Jump to: