14 coaches online • Server time: 06:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Did you know that BBR affects matchups?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 47 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 71

funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I am finding that not many coaches using the Blackbox know about the BBR that is used to calculate the matchups. This is done along with BR.

BR is like CR. Basically when you win a match against a stronger team or better coach it increases. I think it increases less against weaker and it decreases when you lose depending on the TS and BR of the match.

BBR rates your overall bashiness over all of your Blackbox teams.

In the formula BBR is worth a little less than a third of BR. BBR = .3 BR

Basically when you end a match fouling when the game is decided you will increase the possible TS that you will be matched against.

Spread the word as other coaches may not read the forums.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, we know. but we still do it as its funny.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

So in the long run, heavy bash khemri players should meet heavy bash Khemri players. Sounds good to me, then why tell it? Very Happy
So when a Khemri player has half mauled the other team, he should stop if he has won the game in order to be able to play against not so heavy bash teams.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers - Its not necessarily bashy on bashy. The higher BR and BBR go into a formula and can be offset by playing a less bashy less skill coach with a stronger team. The limit on the TS difference is 15 after taking the +5 TS per handicap.

Edit: Also remember BBR is per coach not per team.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah but then the less bashy less skill coach with a stronger team has a chance of mauling the only bash playing coach (aka have only Khemri, dorf etc team).
And if the I like front loaded Khemri coach wants to lower his BBR rating, he would either be forced to foul less or play a more none so focus bash team as Khemri. Soi more teams get into the bbox, which is a good thing unless ofcause the coach just bring dorf and chaos.

Or have I misunderstod this?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. another point is:
If you bash and foul, but lose, you will still get easier games, because the BR you lose weighs more than the BBR you gain. So all those teams that play for real for the first 3 turns until they are down 0-1 and then just go for the throat will get easier games, not harder ones.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A self-adjusting feedback system like that used in blackbox, will be striving to a stable state.

funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Well.. another point is:
If you bash and foul, but lose, you will still get easier games, because the BR you lose weighs more than the BBR you gain. So all those teams that play for real for the first 3 turns until they are down 0-1 and then just go for the throat will get easier games, not harder ones.

You'd get even easier ones if you didn't go for the throat though. Lower BR and lower BBR is still better even if the BBR is worth less. I'd still go full hits for the SPP, but no need for excessive fouling for CAS.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

metagaming is teh dullz

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2008 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I love meta gaming, please tell me more!

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
metagaming is teh dullz

Aww, are lamers using cheesy tactics on you?

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2008 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and it's rather silly. Why should there be a trade-off between bashing and winning? Why should your non-bashy team get easier match-ups? It's like having a PBR - Pass Box Rating - that counts how many passes you've completed and adjusts the matchups accordingly. Why would that matter?

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2008 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Johan - the BBR is .3 the value of the BR. So the main thing is the BR between the two. Of course I have no idea how the formula is calculated otherwise and don't even know the value of the two together.
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2008 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If the goal is to set up a match where both coaches have the same chance at winning[1], why should the level of bashing matter at all?

Teams win in different ways. Some pass, some run, some bash. Saying that bashing teams should have to pay for being so naughty is... weird.

Let the Elfballing stay in ranked.

[1] I assume that this is the goal. I don't think it's a good goal, however. Make the team match-up balanced, but don't try to balance against coaching skill.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: