14 coaches online • Server time: 07:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Oko

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Responding positively to the needs of the individual, if they do not contradict the needs of the organisation, and not using them as a barrier to that persons progression or as a means of harassment of that person in order to maximise the performance of every individual and the organisation.

Sounds nice on paper. Common sense, even. Ask, and you shall receive, within limits. Johnny Mungo gets his free Coca-cola to keep himself hydrated through the day.

Sounds not so nice, when the paper writes on doctor-trainees refusing to bare their forearms for proper cleaning.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Oko wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
Responding positively to the needs of the individual, if they do not contradict the needs of the organisation, and not using them as a barrier to that persons progression or as a means of harassment of that person in order to maximise the performance of every individual and the organisation.

Sounds nice on paper. Common sense, even. Ask, and you shall receive, within limits. Johnny Mungo gets his free Coca-cola to keep himself hydrated through the day.

Sounds not so nice, when the paper writes on doctor-trainees refusing to bare their forearms for proper cleaning.

Emphasis mine. I believe your example would qualify.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
I also think that those supporting TS boosts for weaker coaches have not experienced how bad it is to play with a 33TS advantage and still get massacred.

I can't quite follow what you're trying to suggest?

Looking at your link it seems to me, that a weaker coach's team lost and got crippled even though he had an advantage of 33TS (which is more than twice the amount you could possibly get in Black-Box).

To me, that's rather another example of why it makes sense to give weaker coaches at least a bit of an advantage (not 33TS, though!) over a stronger one (even if that still doesn't make it a 50/50-chance-match, but closer, anyhow).

Please elaborate if you interpret this differently Smile
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

boch wrote:
After just 9 Blackbox matches I must say this was the most unbalanced:

DE vs DE with effective TS-difference of 15 (if I calculate it correctly)
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2483584

Beware!

Everyone puts the guilt on the BR when having uneven games but, think about this:

Let's say, according to BR/BBR you are supposed to play this opponent with -5TS.

However, who says that the system can actually match you with a suitable opponent/team? You may have unluck with your draw.

Question is, do you better feel like not beeing matched or having a strange match up?

Btw, people having more teams should have less chances of getting an unfair game.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It could be me, or it could be the fact that I'm anxious to get to Peikko's B-day party (I think he's hitting his 3rd millenia now), but anyways... How about this:

We just hide the TR and TS from the users, I'm sure the majority of us users wouldnt count them, so all the games would seem even. The scheduler will know the TR and TS, and it's the only thing that needs to know them Razz
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:
I also think that those supporting TS boosts for weaker coaches have not experienced how bad it is to play with a 33TS advantage and still get massacred.

Looking at your link it seems to me, that a weaker coach's team lost and got crippled even though he had an advantage of 33TS (which is more than twice the amount you could possibly get in Black-Box).

To me, that's rather another example of why it makes sense to give weaker coaches at least a bit of an advantage (not 33TS, though!) over a stronger one (even if that still doesn't make it a 50/50-chance-match, but closer, anyhow).

Losing to better people is easy to take. Losing to better people when possessing a massive TS advantage is not very pleasant. I wouldn't want to do it again. If I win, it's just because I had a far better team, if I lose, it's just horrifying. No outcome is satisfactory.
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

@Odi:
If I were Christer, I'd seriously think about hiding the TR/TS in [B]... since some can't handle mild deviations from even, I'll just mask it. There! problem solved Smile

@Treborius:
I agree, a slight TS boost to weaker coaches is all that's needed. Not enough to make it 50/50 - that'd be dull. I think the current system is enough to make it interesting.

@sk8bcn:
My thoughts exactly!

Last edited by westerner on %b %31, %2008 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
treborius wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:

Losing to better people is easy to take. Losing to better people when possessing a massive TS advantage is not very pleasant. I wouldn't want to do it again. If I win, it's just because I had a far better team, if I lose, it's just horrifying. No outcome is satisfactory.

I guess I kind of understand: You lost terribly and that makes you feel very bad Wink Razz

Actually, I wouldn't wanna see you play that game without a TS-boost over that oppo, cause that might actually really spell d-e-s-a-s-t-e-r. Wink Razz
boch

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
boch wrote:
After just 9 Blackbox matches I must say this was the most unbalanced:

DE vs DE with effective TS-difference of 15 (if I calculate it correctly)
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2483584

Beware!

Everyone puts the guilt on the BR when having uneven games but, think about this:

Let's say, according to BR/BBR you are supposed to play this opponent with -5TS.

However, who says that the system can actually match you with a suitable opponent/team? You may have unluck with your draw.

Apparently i´m not part of everyone - after those 9 matches with very mixed results I doubt if my BR had anything to do with this Smile

What I´m saying is that this was a matchup on the verge of being unplayable. 15 TS is just a lot at that level of team development while a match between a team with 185 TS versus a 200 TS one is less unequal.

Therefor there might be a point in supplementing the hard cap of TS with a percentage cap as well.

Last edited by boch on %b %31, %2008 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternatively it could spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r Wink

Quote:
There there is a perception that being a 'visible minority' will gain you promotion quicker and you will be more favoured. The reality is actually provably the exact opposite still (sadly). Being black, gay, female, dissabled etc etc will slow and limit your progression in the organisation. Statistics prove it unarguably, really proper statistics like taking X entrants Y years ago and seeing their progress, like dividing the number of senior posts by the percentage of a visible minority after taking length of service into account.

Maybe gay/black/midgets genuinely have a lower IQ or perhaps they are fundamentally lazy. Hah, so much for your so called statistical "proofs"! Razz

This post may or may not be serious (in fairness its a decent bet that the studies didnt really consider alternative and controversial explanations for their findings, also your use of the term "proof" is somewhat erroneous).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Please take the political discussion to the Off Topic forum. Thanks.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Alternatively it could spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r Wink

Embarassed

(give a sod some serious statement and he will hold his tongue, give him an erroneous statement and he will suck on it like silly Cool )
tuco

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps the problem arises because it is a black box. We could probably expect a white box to be a little bit smarter and more professional and do a better job.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Maybe gay/black/midgets genuinely have a lower IQ or perhaps they are fundamentally lazy.

Having heard the views of many Met recruits in the pubs around Hendon I'd think that you would have to be pretty crazy to want to work with people like that.

Maybe PurpleChest has the perfect recession proof job or maybe it is just perception. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn I wish I was intelligent!!!!!!!
 Jump to: