42 coaches online • Server time: 19:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have used Star Players a few times in the Blackbox and have had no luck with them. Once I used Ram Tut and he was out like turn 3. My dwarves had Zara, she was out in 3 turns after she scored a TD. Hired Zara and The Death Roller they were out mid first half.

Problem is they hype your TS so much especially if your team is ready for the close to TS 200 matches. And I think Star Players are better when you know who you will be facing.

How's everyone else doing with them?
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Mixed. The Count is a rock star and he wins games, but he vaults you into another TS category and that can be bruising on the rest of the team.

Occasionally I run into a new team frontloaded with stars in the TS130 range. Annoying, but rare.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2008 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I buy the Count for my Necro team every match I can afford him.

His rating is about that of 2 Ghoules with block but he makes my team so much stronger and I already have 2 wolfs without regen to take care of.

The higher TS rating of the opposing team isn´t that huge problem for a team with almost all players have regen and you have a wall of cheap & expendable zombies Very Happy
Eddy

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2009 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Nobbla is teh pwn!

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2009 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

yar, not impressed by stars in B either. you just end up facing a much tougher opp most of the time. its a large gamble.

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2009 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

imo the count is so underpriced (both money and ts) that he is nearly always worth hiring - although i never hired him myself, but facing a st5 ag 4 blodger is hard since most teams only have one or two players with a decent chance to get the ball when the count is the ballhandler
Juff

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2009 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Protip: To face lots of stars in [B], play necros with their TS-overcosted wolves! \o/
Pirog

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I have suffered so many heavy casualties that I have had no money to spend on star players yet Smile
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

...And he plays Khemri and Ogre

*Blink blink*

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm? No team - period - is as money-starved as Ogres.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd actually say woodelfs would qualify for that position, see they don't have any ST5 AV9 players in abundance...

(Nice to see we joined on exactly the same day and year!!)

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres have a much tougher time with money than woodies Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Eddy

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with Ogres is that their TR is probably higher than the WE's, so they bring in less money. They also win less games, so less FF and less bonus to the win.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

morraywolfymax wrote:
I'd actually say woodelfs would qualify for that position, see they don't have any ST5 AV9 players in abundance...

(Nice to see we joined on exactly the same day and year!!)

Well, maybe you should play at least a single game with ogres before claiming things Wink

The reason why ogres are starved for money is that they start out with a very expensive line-up that denies them investing in a bunch of re-rolls. And with their unpredictable playing style it's not that hard taking down an ogre. An ogre that suffers a RIP or needs to be replaced costs 120k, and that has to be balanced at the same time that you need to buy the very needed re-rolls for 140k.
I'm not sure if you have actually looked at the ogre rosters or not, but there is also a bunch of goblins that breaks into bits as soon as somebody touches them. Although not very expensive to replace it's still 40k that is taken from the rest of the heavy costs.

I'm even at a -7 cas count. You see, having a bunch of ST 5 mighty blow players looks completly brutal, but when you are always short on re-rolls, lack general access on the blockers, have them bonehead in the most crucial of times...well, then it's not the same brutal machine that they might seem on paper, unless they are having a really lucky day.

You should give them a chance. It's an hillarious team and people who think that ogres are just about bashing the opponents have likely not played them very much.
treborius

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2009 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
The problem with Ogres is that their TR is probably higher than the WE's, so they bring in less money. They also win less games, so less FF and less bonus to the win.

so true and so many people don't see that.

Pirog wrote:
[...] It's an hillarious team and people who think that ogres are just about bashing the opponents have likely not played them very much.

they are ok bashers although you can consider yourself lucky having more than 2 or 3 blocking ogres, but it's very hard to win games and keep money coming in.
 Jump to: