37 coaches online • Server time: 12:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maznaz

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just witnessed in the B channel two coaches with high TS dwarf teams who drew each other. There followed the following conversation:

<coach1> stop scheduling that damn match
<coach2> 3rd time in 3 days
<coach2> lets cointoss loser concedes
<coach1> more specifically not scheduling it with me 15ts down when I lose it
<coach1> we can just ask admins to unschedule it
<coach2> yes
<coach1> meet in admin
<coach2> ok

A few minutes later a helpful admin unscheduled the match for them.

Now my question is as above, and I'd like an official response from Christer on this if possible to help out his admin teams.

Is dodging repeat matchups allowed?

Most coaches in B who were there from the start were under the impression this wasn't allowed, and there was already a facility in the scheduler to make these matchups less likely, and that was as far as it was intended to go for now.
Maz
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it probably is, due to it being in alpha. Not certain though. Either way, this is one of the reasons I haven't played B for a while (that and Discworld MUD)
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I am surprised that would be allowed.

I've seen matches unscheduled when an opponent disconnects or hired a star after the fact. But I think unscheduling "repeat" matches should not be done even if both players agree.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I was the helpful admin, I don't mind being mentioned, as I stand by my decision to unschedule them.
johan

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If it was intended that there should be no repeat match-ups, surely the scheduler would be configured that way?

This looks like an admin mistake.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock, are there any unscheduling guidelines you can share?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

[B] is still in alpha, there is a lot that shouldn't go how it goes. But I doubt 3 games versus the same team in 7 matches was ment for [B].
Same as back to back matches (but I think that problem is solved already).
johan

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Could we have an official ruling on what is the limit, then? Otherwise, be prepared to be bothered by people wanting to dodge matches. Smile

(I had three matches against Yuri_Levich in four attempts, two of them in an identical team matchup. Not really a big deal.)

maznaz

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Back to back matches are not solved, just lightly discouraged by the scheduler. In fact we were told many times in the early stages that we had to play them.

I didn't name anyone involved as I don't want this to be in any way personal, I just think a mistake was made and if I'm right, I want it clarified to prevent any such mistakes in the future.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

maznaz wrote:
I didn't name anyone involved as I don't want this to be in any way personal, I just think a mistake was made and if I'm right, I want it clarified to prevent any such mistakes in the future.

One of the reasons I don't mind being honest about it. Shows synn that Im not programmed flawless... j/k. I don't mind being wrong, everything is a learning moment.

As long as there are no official rules or a word from Christer, we can not clarify it. He handled one issue concerning a disconnection himself, and we admins followed his example.

For issues like this there are no examples made, and we make decisions by ourself. I know [B] should be the most competitive, but in my book playing back to back and playing the same team too many times in a short period shouldn't be allowed. I use the ranked rules as a guideline, but not as a hardline.
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the moar important part here is that both coaches didn't want the match.

__Synn
johan

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I know B should be the most competitive, but in my book playing back to back and playing the same team too many times in a short period shouldn't be allowed. I use the ranked rules as a guideline, but not as a hardline.

Whoa, hey there!!

Not even allowed? Are we supposed to self-police ourselves, or what?

Seriously, this is opening a massive can or worms. Get some guidelines, pronto! Because right now, it seems everything is in the air and open to individual admin interpretations, and that's no way to run a division.

Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I find 3 in 7 too much yes (in ranked 1 in 10 is allowed), that is my opinion. It is also the arguement on which I unscheduled the two teams that started this topic.
If the official rules will contain something about this, I don't know, not up to me. Maybe the scheduler will be modified so that it won't happen, again not up to me.

Right now we do our job as best as we can with (indeed) our personal judgement and common FUMBBL sense (i.e. standard and ranked rules).
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
I think the moar important part here is that both coaches didn't want the match.

__Synn

So it would be ok for two clawed up chaos teams to be unscheduled assuming that they both wanted to dodge each other? Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 02:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The scheduler was modified - there is a small negative adjustment if either of the two teams played its last game against the other team. Personally, I think that coaches should take what the scheduler gives them in [B] and not be unhappy if they get a match they don't like. I believe that taking whatever match you are given is exactly what [B] is all about. If you end up playing against the same fellow three times in a row, so be it.

However, we're still in "testing", and I really have no strong feelings about coaches wanting to get unscheduled. I expect that in a "live" environment, that you are expected to play what you get, and not ask to cancel matchups that you dislike.
 Jump to: