40 coaches online • Server time: 12:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Draxus wrote:
There needs to be a list of coaches who activate and then fail to show up to a match... if they repeat this then three strikes they are out! ( lose access to [B])

I prefer this stance over Mnemon's.
Leaves place for the occasional click-on-activate mistake anyone is allowed to make in good faith...

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
@Astarael: From the ranked rules which I was referring to:
Code:
The accepted benchmark for this division is 1 in 10 games played vs the same coach/team. Both teams need to have played a different team before playing again.

There's a big difference in that kind of benchmark in Ranked and Blackbox. In Ranked, the rule is in place to stop people from playing their friends a lot. The back to back rule is in place for the same reason, mostly because (I believe) it is the easiest way to hardcode in a limitation like that where coaches don't have to browse through an extensive backlog of games to check whether or not they played each other in the last ten games.

Now in Blackbox there is no such thing as "playing vs friends a lot". The site picks your opponent for you. Potential for abuse: none. (Well, you could have two teams in an uncommon TR range and only agree to activate at the same time, but really now...) As such, I do not think unscheduling for playing each other a lot should occur.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to say that even though you don't think many people were likely to be aware of this and abuse it Woodstock, one person abusing a flaw is too many. Public disclosure forces the issue and ideally gets a resolution faster.

Again, I'm not implying anyone involved (admin or players) did anything specifically wrong in this case, just that this practise is contrary to what I personally believe is Christer's intention for the division. As such I think it would be best for everyone involved, and admins especially if some clarity was forthcoming sooner rather than later.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I dont mind it being discussed in the open. It is good to see what the opinions are of the people that play in it. And I can't wait to get some official rules, so we can enforce them.

But.... I do believe that the issue has been blown up by this thread. And that the issue would've been solved with the introduction of a [.B]-ruleset and new schedule-bot anyways.
Just like people not showing up, disconnection rules for [.B] and the other issues like that.

@Mez, that is indeed true. But my interpetation of highly competitive is just not 50% of the games versus the same team.
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing the same matchup shouldnt be a problem in B as its about getting the games that are closest. If the teams are close for a few rounds, then what? Should only mean it would make for a good match untill one side kills the other and they no longer match.

The division is not ranked, you cant pick the games yourself, you cant play a soft game against a buddy, which we already seen numerous threads about - whining about how bashy B is.
If we temper with what should be the best possible matchups, then why even bother with random games in the first place? (yes i know random lose its meaning when its the same person and team for the 3rd time, but this was over a 7 game streak for one of the teams as i understood it so there really shouldnt be a problem)

If i get a dwarf team with my flings i played down the road, can i get it cancelled as it was boring to get killed? or does it just go for the entire race?
Let the bot find the games, this is alpha stage and we are gathering info on everything that goes on, that includes getting the same oppo 3 times within a 7 game spread. SUCK IT UP!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Two points: yes I agree with Woodstock about the scope of this thread. Don't blame too much, there's no guidelines. And if he feels there's no reason to cancel a game then I find it fine. I also think it's boring to play back to back same team and coach games.

This doesn't mean I'm all for cancelling though.

Mithrilpoint wrote:
Just to reiterate BiggieB's and woodstocks statements: As soon as the division moves from the testing stage it is currently in, to a permanent stage, guidelines will be formed just like all other divisions. As it is now, the games donesn't really "matter", they are just there to collect data.

This frightens me more!

Hey this means that when it starts, everyone start anew????

^^

Teams included?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Mithrilpoint wrote:
Just to reiterate BiggieB's and woodstocks statements: As soon as the division moves from the testing stage it is currently in, to a permanent stage, guidelines will be formed just like all other divisions. As it is now, the games donesn't really "matter", they are just there to collect data.

It might. I read this as, [B] is in test mode, don't count on anything staying the same when it goes live. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If anything, I think, guidelines for the division shouldn't be drawn from [R] but rather from the unscheduled smacks. These were the closest to [B] there was on site, before.

-Mnemon
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer has said that Blacbox will come out of Alpha once there is a way to deal with no shows.
Draxus

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
Mithrilpoint wrote:

It might. I read this as, [B] is in test mode, don't count on anything staying the same when it goes live. Smile

Would one want to save a fictional all time star in a test phase or have all the games and stats clean slate?
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

BiggieB, referring to unscheduling matches due to no-shows wrote:
roughly once a day usually because someone activiated by misstakes.

So shouldn't there be a "deactivate" option once activated then? For "Oh, bugger, I didn't mean to click that" moments (similar to dodging into three tackle zone squares just next to the one you're trying to stand up in Rolling Eyes).
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Chingis wrote:
BiggieB, referring to unscheduling matches due to no-shows wrote:
roughly once a day usually because someone activiated by misstakes.

So shouldn't there be a "deactivate" option once activated then? For "Oh, bugger, I didn't mean to click that" moments (similar to dodging into three tackle zone squares just next to the one you're trying to stand up in Rolling Eyes).

thats a good idea! Sadly its not up to me :/
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

@Skate-bacon

I don't know what will happen when the division gets out of testing phase. Nothing might change, a lot might change. I think that westerner said it right by " don't count on anything staying the same when it goes live". But only one man is in the know about this and he, too, might still be undecided. Smile

Stating that games doesn't matter perhaps is a bit harsh of me but i hope you all get the meaning. As it is now, there are some problems which can be an annoyance (repeat matchups, no-shows, funky matchups, etc.) and the admin staff tries to make them a little less of an annoyance by using our best judgement. It is not optimal, but it is the best we can do at the moment.

M

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't too much about teams getting reset as Christer stated that is not going to happen. So barring a change of mind* from the man himself, it won't.

* Not completely out of the question
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
If anything, I think, guidelines for the division shouldn't be drawn from [R] but rather from the unscheduled smacks. These were the closest to [B] there was on site, before.
-Mnemon

I think that's the best idea, we need to stay as far away from [R] as possible.